Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 2:44:14 AM EDT
My form 4 was approved on 02/28/2020 and as of today 04/01/2020 my FFL has yet to receive it.
Is this normal to cross the 1 month mark with this wait?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You never know with the nfa.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I once had two approved in January and my dealer didn't get them till April.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Normal "no", has it happened to me on multiple occasions....yes.  (most recently last year)

What I personally do, is the day you hit the one month mark from approval date without receiving your stamp I email the NFA branch a formal signed request for a certified copy of my approved paperwork.

The NFA branch will require a letter that is signed by the current registrant (i.e. you)

This is the format I have used in the past:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello BATFE NFA Branch,

I am requesting a certified copy of the NFRTR Form 4 registration for  (NFA Firearms Type) SN# XXXX due to the original registration paperwork being lost.

Firearm Registration Details:
Serial Number: XXXXX
Model: XXXX
Type: XXXXX  (MG, SBS, etc.)
Maker: XXX Armory, City, State.
Caliber: XXX
Barrel/Overall Length: XX” / XX”

Current Owner/Registrant:
Homer Simpson
742 Evergreen Terrance
Springfield, ST. Zip

Former Owner/Registrant:
Montgomery Burns

If you could mail a certified copy of the Form 4 registration paperwork to me at the current registration address below it would be greatly appreciated.  
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Homer Simpson
742 Evergreen Terrance
Springfield, ST. Zip

email: [email protected]
phone: 555-1212

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print it out, sign it, scan it and email it to [email protected]  (alternatively you can smail mail it to the NFA branch address in WV as well)

They will then snail mail you a certified copy of the paperwork you can take to your dealer to pick up your NFA firearm.

In my personal cases I have had the original paperwork show up randomly months later or never show up at all.  (I am still waiting for the original paperwork on the transfer from last year,  but I picked up my gun about 45 days after approval using my certified copy)

If you don't submit for a certified copy you may be waiting forever.   This is one of the reasons why I suggest folks at least periodically check in around when the paperwork should be approved, otherwise it could have been approved months ago and the paperwork just never showed up.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the ATF open for business?  According to the OPM website

Status: Open with maximum Telework flexibilities to all current Telework eligible employees, pursuant to direction from Agency Heads

The federal government employees I know are at home, not working.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally called in to check a form 4 and was told it was mailed Feb 10.  I am calling it lost and requesting a replacement.  Sucks.  The whole transfer was about 4-1-2019 to 2-10-2020, plus this extra.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Usually about a week from approved to received by the dealer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Had 2 approved on 03/22/20, dealer received 05/04/20 both had post marks of 05/01/2020
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had 2 approved on 03/22/20, dealer received 05/04/20 both had post marks of 05/01/2020
View Quote
That is not good. I am about to send in 3 more form 4s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By atrain943:
Had 2 approved on 03/22/20, dealer received 05/04/20 both had post marks of 05/01/2020
View Quote

Form 4 suppressor: approved 4/7/20, postmarked 4/30/20.

Not as bad as yours, but there is some fuckery afoot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
There's something up with their mailing out of stuff.  I'm sure they would blame corona if you asked, but that doesn't cut it IMO.

I just recently got back a 5320.20 approved 3/27 and postmarked 5/4
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The examiners are working from home and take their sweet time to send out the approvals. The two I just got back took the examiner a month to get them in the mail.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Had a form 4 individual approved early November '19.  
Two months later, nothing.
Requested a certified copy.
One month, nothing.
Requested again.
Two weeks later, received the copy, dated from the second request.
One month later, received the copy, dated from the first request.
Have never received the original stamped approval.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had a form 4 individual approved early November '19.  
Two months later, nothing.
Requested a certified copy.
One month, nothing.
Requested again.
Two weeks later, received the copy, dated from the second request.
One month later, received the copy, dated from the first request.
Have never received the original stamped approval.
View Quote

That is crazy. They need to start sending these out via usps certified or priority mail.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m waiting on two approved the 30th of last month. I’m already frustrated. I can’t imagine how some of you guys feel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m waiting on one that was approved April 28
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#16]
many moons ago, they approved my form 4......but also sent a refund for my $200.

I called and they said all is well and it went fine.

I still have that check in my safe.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
many moons ago, they approved my form 4......but also sent a refund for my $200.

I called and they said all is well and it went fine.

I still have that check in my safe.

View Quote

Frame it with a copy of the tax stamp
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I sent in for a certified copy of my stamp right after my original post was made. About a month later the original showed up.  The copy arrived probably 2 weeks after the original arrived.  Oh well Ive got a copy now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Average I've seen for F4 I processed is 6-8 months. I've heard some getting it within 1 month, and some more than year.

I read this how individual forms go faster than trusts.
link
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Right now you can add 2 months of wait time from approval to receipt of the form due to the "COVID 19" delay.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Form 4 individual (Submachinegun)
Send in paperwork on 2/28/20
Check cashed 3/6/20
Approved 8/31/20
Picked up today
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Form 4 individual (Submachinegun)
Send in paperwork on 2/28/20
Check cashed 3/6/20
Approved 8/31/20
Picked up today
View Quote

Nice to see it falls near the 6 month rule.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Approved aug 24, 4 weeks and counting, no approved form.  Could be another 2? Weeks or more?  I’m hearing that the examiners are working from home and only go to the office once a month to drop off approved forms and get a new stack to work on.  True or not?????

Edit- got both of mine, day 53 & 56 since approved...
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently sold 2 nfa items. One took 5 weeks after approval to arrive and the other took 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two approvals recently in mid September.  Sent in the same time, went pending the same day, same examiner, approved on the same day.

One approved form has shown up, the other is MIA going on a couple weeks.

I am still holding out hope as I know stuff can get delayed......but given the circumstances I foresee another certified copy request in the near future for me.  I guess the good news in all of this is the machinegun form showed up,  the SBR form is MIA and the SBR is just for another copy of a SBR I already own.

Whats crazy is they won't send copies via email.  I know they have a process to send approved paperwork via password protected email as I have gotten an approved form that way in the past where they screwed up, owned up to it, and got me the form electronically.

Honestly with eForms not having real stamps or embossing on them, there is really no point to the paper "certified copy" with the embossment stamp anymore.

Would be so much easier/faster if they would just email a copy of the approved form and call it a day, or if you have an eForms login just upload it there for you to download.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got a F4 back for a 2 person trust. Total time was just under 5 months and it was about 15 days from approval to receipt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I had read in the Covid environment allow them up to 45 days from date of approval to arrive at your dealer. The reason being so many NFA people are working from home and only go into the office about every two weeks to pick up more work and drop off approvals to be mailed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got a F4 back for a 2 person trust. Total time was just under 5 months and it was about 15 days from approval to receipt.
View Quote

Nice to hear. I sent my Norrell 10/22 in on a trust a month ago. I am used to trusts taking longer then standard form 4's by at least a couple of months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top