Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2017 5:57:22 PM EDT
I've been hearing 90 days for Form 4's with the new barcodes, but i've done some research.  The system was announced 18 AUG 17, and it's been about 125 days since then.  My searching on, ARF and elsewhere, has yielded exactly 0 confirmed barcode forms resulting in a stamp thus far.  NFATracker doesn't track barcode forms specifically, so I can't tell which is or isn't a barcode form. I'm skeptical that the wait is actually 90 days, and there's nothing in black and white that gives evidence to anything.  Does anyone have any evidence of a form 4 barcode coming back yet?  If so, can you please link it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5 months individual
7 months trust
View Quote
It hasn't been 7 months since the system rolled out for barcoded forms.  Hell, it hasn't been 5 months since.  I'm asking specifically about the barcodes only.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I am getting ready to do 1 or 2 form 4s. Asked my dealer if the bar code has any relation to the speed of approval. Response I got was "No". They stated they had yet to receive a form with a bar code back yet.

Now in fairness, different dealers may have started using the bar code system at different times.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My barcoded form is almost to the three month mark.  I filed as an individual.  Maybe I'll hear something soon.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was submitted on 12/22/17 on a form 4 individual. I’m at the very beginning of the wait. I hope it’s that quick but it’s not going to be.  I think I’m more excited about it being approved than I was about my first born lol
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Although the bar code is a step in the right direction, it is my understanding that it only saves a few minutes per form by the data input folks, NOT the examiners. So it is not the savior of the the ATF.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Basically useless from what I’ve been told.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to remember they are still working through a backlog of forms without barcodes before they even get to the barcoded forms. By the time they get to barcoded forms they will have a backlog of barcode forms.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just reporting my experience. I file Form 4s every day using the barcode.
View Quote
Have you gotten any back yet?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got one from September and 3 in October  all form 4 barcode trust so we will see...
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm at 45 days today. Submitted 11/11, f4 individual, barcoded.

I called the NFA branch last week and dude told me to piss off because it hadn't been long enough for it to even be in the system yet.

I just wanted to see if they actually had it or got around to cashing the check. Guess not...

From what I've read (similar to OP), I think I might be in a sweet spot. Time will tell. If it ends up being 90-120 days, I might have to change my panties out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Although the bar code is a step in the right direction, it is my understanding that it only saves a few minutes per form by the data input folks, NOT the examiners. So it is not the savior of the the ATF.
View Quote
The QR coded forms are to ensure accurate entry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Barcoded forms were supposed to make the process faster for everyone, not just the barcoded forms.

If the approvals haven't sped up for everyone, then the approvals haven't sped up for the barcoded forms.

Having a barcode or not, doesn't give the form special meaning or faster/slower processing so there is no use in tracking the barcoded forms specifically.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
@SilencerShop any information you can provide?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is correct. Things speed up for everyone not just the barcode forms. The benefit of the barcode is that it speeds up data entry and allows them to focus on other things.
https://s20.postimg.org/plxr4f4ct/Barcodes.jpg
View Quote
So why are we hearing reports they aren't using it and are making their own barcode system?!
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is correct. Things speed up for everyone not just the barcode forms. The benefit of the barcode is that it speeds up data entry and allows them to focus on other things.
View Quote
Causation or correlation?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did the allocation of resources remain constant throughout the timeframe?
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#22]
That line shows August of 2016.  The bar code was released August of 2017.  Bar coded forms are not even on nfa tracker yet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That line shows August of 2016.  The bar code was released August of 2017.  Bar coded forms are not even on nfa tracker yet.
View Quote
Bar codes released August 16th, 2017.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bar codes released August 16th, 2017.
View Quote
Yes, but the X axis of the graph shown is in Month/Year.  The line shows 8/16 which is August 2016.  Bar codes weren't released until August of 2017 which isn't even on that axis yet.  It's still in 7/17 which is July 2017.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, but the X axis of the graph shown is in Month/Year.  The line shows 8/16 which is August 2016.  Bar codes weren't released until August of 2017 which isn't even on that axis yet.  It's still in 7/17 which is July 2017.
View Quote
Good catch. I didnt see that on mobile.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know whether you're mistaken in reading that graph, or misrepresenting it on purpose to make yourselves look good, but maybe you should double check the dates at the bottom of that graph.

If you're lying on purpose, that's pretty fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#27]
SS Barcode = Tactical Marketing
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#28]
The barcode system only needs to do one thing, ensure accurate entry. As a dealer I've lost count of how many times ATF has mis entered data on their end slowing things down. Even worse is when they do a compliance inspection and they have inaccurate info on their NFA printouts, and the impetus is on you the dealer to prove their records wrong.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You guys are mis-reading the graph. The bottom line is the date the check was cashed. If you look at the left hand side you will see that approvals were coming back at 360 days. So add that to the date at the bottom and you get August 2017.

I didn't say the barcodes caused the drop in wait times just that that is the point they were introduced.
View Quote
You literally added a bright green line on 8/18/16 and labeled it "Barcode Generator form made public 8/18" and the audience is misreading the graph?

Uh. No.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is the date the check was cashed not the date that the forms are approved. If you look on the left then you see the time till approval. So if the check was cashed on 8/16 then it was approved on 8/17. Read the labels on the graph.
View Quote
They kind of are. That graph shows no data for forms with a check cashed date of 8/17 to current.

If 8/17 is when the barcode system went live, that graph shows no data for forms using it.

Or are you trying to tell us that the system was out there before you went public with it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You guys are mis-reading the graph. The bottom line is the date the check was cashed. If you look at the left hand side you will see that approvals were coming back at 360 days. So add that to the date at the bottom and you get August 2017.

I didn't say the barcodes caused the drop in wait times just that that is the point they were introduced.
View Quote
No, you're just implying it with a misleading picture.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That is the date the check was cashed not the date that the forms are approved. If you look on the left then you see the time till approval. So if the check was cashed on 8/16 then it was approved on 8/17. Read the labels on the graph.
View Quote
You're saying that the introduction of the forms enabled nfa branch to start catching up with the pile of forms you and everyone else sent in pre 41f, and caused the wait times to start decreasing?

The check cased date is a good representation of when your barcoded forms are actually used.  Your green line should be a lot further to the right.  You're trying to take credit for the return of forms that had been in the system for a year.  That's either dishonest or stupid.

I don't think you guys are stupid.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ok here is a screen shot with a approved form highlighted. This form had a check cash dated of August 16,2016 and took 362 days for approval. So it was approved on August 13, 2017. If you draw a line on that form that is where the green line was on the previous picture. So the line is showing August 2017.

https://s20.postimg.org/r7rq3utct/Capture.jpg
View Quote
I understand what you're saying.

But the fact that a form may have been inputted on that day with a barcode, has absolutely nothing to do with another from from a year before being approved.

That's why I said earlier that the check cashed date is a more accurate representation of when your barcode forms entered the system.  Your green line should be moved to the right, so your introduction lines up with the forms that were submitted at the TIME YOUR FORMS WERE INTRODUCED.

But if you did that you wouldn't be able to line it up with the change in wait times and make people think you had something to do with that.

Or are you honestly trying to take credit for speeding up forms that had been in the system for a year?
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm just here for the drama. It seems we can make it from anywhere
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That post was not directed at you.

When we first introduced the barcode we talked about how data entry was behind and if they could get caught up then resources could be reallocated. Take that for what it is.
Did the introduction of the barcodes make wait times drop at that point? Probably not. The graph was posted to show when they were introduced. We take no credit for the wait times dropping at that point. Will the barcode use cause wait times to drop over time? Probably

At the end of the day you can choose to use the barcode or not the choice is yours.
View Quote
If those statements were posted along with the initial picture I would never have posted in this thread at all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm just here for the drama. It seems we can make it from anywhere
View Quote
Behold, the power of ArfCom!
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd love to see some data on bar codes and actual approvals of bar coded forms. Some of these individual form 4s are coming into bar code time if they implemented it in august of 17 correct? All mine are coded, and done through SS kiosk, so very interested to see.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I submitted 5 form 4's 8-21-17.  I am over 4 months so hopefully my customers will get them soon!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Last I heard was they aren’t even using the barcodes that are being sent in and are working on their own system for it.

That graph was poorly made at best and just plain misleading and dishonest IMO.  Here is a tip, (worth what you paid) if in presenting your data you have to tell everyone they are looking at it wrong, you are just showing it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Always these threads full of
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Last I heard was they aren’t even using the barcodes that are being sent in and are working on their own system for it.
View Quote
Having worked for the federal government for quite some time, I can assure you with almost 100% confidence that employees are likely implementing a system that they have absolutely no idea where it came from... and have merely assumed that the federal government had something to do with the development... or someone told them that ATF developed it.

There would be no point in government developing a system because they don't deal with the 'front end' at all, and you can't pre-print barcodes on paper forms.  That, and they suck at pretty much everything they do.

I don't get all the negativity here.  Even if this fails on account of government incompetence (and it may), SS should be praised for their efforts on what is truly a viable system.  If it doesn't work, it WON'T be because of them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't get all the negativity here.  Even if this fails on account of government incompetence (and it may), SS should be praised for their efforts on what is truly a viable system.  If it doesn't work, it WON'T be because of them.
View Quote
Yeah, it's just normal internet stuff. Folks raved about the system like it was guaranteed to reduce the time to 3 months the day it was introduced, and alternately blast it as some conspiracy by Silencershop.

Times come down as backlog goes away. Silencership doesn't make any money on the system and doesn't have any exclusive to it. If it even improves times by a day or two for most folks, it's still worth the nothing we pay for it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think it's negativity, it's questioning of basic facts.

I support SS's efforts to make NFA better, I even buy from SS on a regular basis.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top