Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2021 11:15:54 AM EDT
This is not just a hypothetical question.  It is for a very real situation on a polymer weapon with a small ID plate.

If you Form 1 an SBR under a trust, and 2/3rds of your trust name is already engraved on the receiver, do you need to engrave it again?   Is there any requirement that the words of your trust name appear together, in sequence?

i.e..

Say I have a...  Keltec somethingorother with serial number SNxxx

My trust name is "Keltec SNxxx Trust"

"Keltec" and "SNxxx" are already engraved on the receiver somewhere

Does "Keltec SNxxx Trust" need to be engraved as a phrase?  

or could I just engrave "Trust" somewhere?

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is to mark the full name of the trust.  The name of the trust should be clear by reading the engraving without having to guess or infer that some elements of the name are scattered in other locations around the receiver.  I generally use a reasonable person rule - would a reasonable person read your trust name and readily know the name of the trust?  The engraved name should match the name provided on the Form 1 (shown in box 3b of the 5320.1).
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Since the Manufacturer is the "KelTec SNxxxx Trust" then "KelTec SNxxxx Trust" must appear on the firearm in that manner.  

By your logic, a manufacturer could engrave letters all over the receiver in random places and random order and someone would have to connect the dots in the crypto quiz to actually figure it out.  Same with the location that's required.  Info must be presented in a coherent manner and with certain physical requirements (size, depth, conspicuous location).

Now, at least in AL, the only requirement for the name of the Trust is that it must include the word "Trust".  I have engraved several items that were manufactured by the "In God We Trust" trust.  Looks like a statement, actually is the name.  I have one customer who's going to do a trust called the "Misplaced Trust".
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
lol, I like that.  Ok, so keep it together.  got it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top