Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2018 11:24:43 PM EDT
This may be a crazy and/or stupid idea but does anyone see an issue with filing a Form 1 to make a working, exact replica of a WW2 era M1A1 bazooka? I am a reenactor (or used to be but planning on getting back into it) and I’ve built several replicas before, but to cover my own ass I’ve always welded in cross pins in the middle of the tube. I know several people have taken commercially available replicas and modified them to have working firing circuits in order to fire small signal charges to simulate a rocket.

What I’m asking is could I file a form 1 to make a working replica (that does not yet exist) with my own made-up serial number and my own manufacturer information engraved? There are live originals on form 4s, so I’m wondering what would prevent one from building a DD on a form 1 from scratch?

The dumb part is you wouldn’t really have any ability to live fire it due to the unavailability of live practice rounds. There really isn’t any difference between this and a live M2 mortar, in my mind. Not saying I would try it, but what do you all think??

Obliviously I’m not intending to shoot the thing during an event, I’m just trying to determine if it would be possible to build an exact working copy of the launcher itself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a Form 1 mortar from scratch, and live training rounds are available. They are just expensive.  There is no reason you cannot do a Form 1 M1A1, though you might have an easier time making your own live ammo if you did an M18.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a Form 1 mortar from scratch, and live training rounds are available. They are just expensive.  There is no reason you cannot do a Form 1 M1A1, though you might have an easier time making your own live ammo if you did an M18.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks man.  This is just something I have been tire kicking for a while.  I'd have to find a real one to pattern before I ever did it.  I just figured if I ever built another replica I would just go all out and make it live.  Gotta break down and buy a cup for my M2 and form 1 it first.  Weren't you working on getting some into production along with some reproduction M49A2 rounds?  Any word on that project?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Awesome, thanks man.  This is just something I have been tire kicking for a while.  I'd have to find a real one to pattern before I ever did it.  I just figured if I ever built another replica I would just go all out and make it live.  Gotta break down and buy a cup for my M2 and form 1 it first.  Weren't you working on getting some into production along with some reproduction M49A2 rounds?  Any word on that project?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was indeed, though the project has somewhat taken a back seat for a while because the operational tempo at my day job has skyrocketed.

I have digitized blueprints for the M2 now thanks to an ARFCOMMER converting my arsenal blue prints though...

I also have the arsenal drawings for the M18 recoilless rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was indeed, though the project has somewhat taken a back seat for a while because the operational tempo at my day job has skyrocketed.

I have digitized blueprints for the M2 now thanks to an ARFCOMMER converting my arsenal blue prints though...

I also have the arsenal drawings for the M18 recoilless rifle.
View Quote
I can relate.  I have a ton of projects I'd like to do but never seem to have the time.  I got the mortar cup prints from you, and I appreciate it.  If I only had the equipment and a lathe I'd make my own cup.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top