Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2019 2:51:21 PM EDT
I have always gone the trust route.
With changes to the process, does it make sense to continue to go the trust route vs. individual?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What were your reasons for going the trust route in the first place, and why did they change under the new rules?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Trust route allows others in your trust to use your stuff.  If it's just you, do individual.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
From the sound of it, you already have NFA items in a trust. I can't think of any reason to deviate away from that and submit as an individual.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have always gone the trust route.
With changes to the process, does it make sense to continue to go the trust route vs. individual?
View Quote
I've used the trust route to avoid engraving my name (lots of characters) on the receiver.  This could be a good reason if you have a long name to engrave or just want to be more discrete...
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I went the trust originally because local law enforcement would not sign paperwork.
No longer need signature.

Is it easier to pass the guns to heirs with trust or is it the same no matter which route?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]
If the heirs are on the trust, then no ATF paperwork is required when you croak.

If not, then really no difference between the trust and if the NFA item is to an individual.

Since you already have things with a trust, it would be easier to keep everything on the trust for will purposes.

But if your trust has other people on it now, then they'll have to have prints and photos included as part of the NFA form.

So - if only you on the trust now, I'd put additional NFA items on the trust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top