Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2023 4:02:50 PM EDT
The only hitch I am experiencing on my Form 1 "ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F" application is the page for CLEO name and info. I do not recall having to do this years back on another SBR. It is a totally purchased CMMG Banshee MK57 with brace and is registered as a pistol. According to the FAQ, "Due to the 41F regulation changes, the CLEO only needs to be notified. This is done by providing the CLEO Copy of the application to the CLEO." I live in a small town in Michigan so if I need to notify a CLEO would it be local police or state police. In Michigan the state police take all of the pistol registrations.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#1]
It's anyone who is considered the head of a police organization with jurisdiction over you based on where you live.  So local chief of police, county sheriff, head of state police, state attorney general, and so on.  It's explained a bit in the instruction on the form, you choose whichever one you want and send it to them.

You notify them by mailing them a copy of the form with "CLEO Copy" printed on the lower margin at the same time you submit the form to the ATF.  You just need to send them the form, they don't need to reply or "sign off" on it, it's just a notification.  If they do reply or send it back or anything, ignore it, your job is done.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You could notify your city police chief, your county, sheriff, your state, police superintendent, or the attorney general of the city Michigan. All would be acceptable choices.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
County Sheriff is typically easiest.
View Quote

this, county sheriff.  also with the people that are doing brace approvals they have been denying other LEO. seen multiple people there forms denied cause they used something other than the sherif. even if its what the law states.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#6]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-1-application-make-and-register-firearm-atf-form-53201/download

H. Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the
Form 1 to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) who has
jurisdiction over the area of the applicant’s address shown in item 3b of the
Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of
the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person
Questionnaire, for each Responsible Person must be provided to their
respective Chief Law Enforcement Officer. The Chief Law Enforcement
Officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the
State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.
View Quote

As always, especially if your CLEO is an anti..........attach a Post It Note "Suck it you commie".
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rmdye:

this, county sheriff.  also with the people that are doing brace approvals they have been denying other LEO. seen multiple people there forms denied cause they used something other than the sherif. even if its what the law states.
View Quote

Yet I have hundreds of Forms where notice was not the county sheriff.
Silencer Shop submits more NFA forms than anyone and never uses the county sheriff as the CLEO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Silencer Shop submits more NFA forms than anyone and never uses the county sheriff as the CLEO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Originally Posted By rmdye:

I have had several NFA items over the years to include a form 1 approved in December using the County Sheriff…

But SS auto-filled a form 4 last year with the state attorney general, so who knows?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have always used the County Sheriff.  His office is about 10 minutes from my house, and I just drop the CLEO copy off.  When his secretary sees me walking in, she just holds our her hand.  Never had one disapproved but then I have only done six.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top