Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2018 5:18:22 PM EDT
I have some Buffalo Arms 44-40 that will be arriving today. It's the 200 gr RNFP BP ammo. I'm anxious to shoot it, but I'd like to get some input on cleaning up the gun after I shoot. What are you doing?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You will find that cleanup is easy, as long as the Buffalo Arms loads carry enough lube on the bullets.

I recently put 100 .44-40 black powder handloads through my Uberti 1860 Henry. Fifty were loaded with 28 grains of 3Fg Goex plus cornmeal filler so there wasn't air space, while the other 50 were full-power loads with 35 grains of 3Fg Goex. Bullets were home cast from an Accurate Molds 43-215C mold, which carry a lot of lube. Swiss black powder burns a lot cleaner.

To clean the rifle afterwards I used cotton flannel patches wet with a "moose milk" of Ballistol and water. About 25% Ballistol with the rest water but the mix isn't critical. What is needed is the water -- you can use a mix of soapy water, windshield wiper fluid, or Windex. Black powder solvent is water soluble.

It took about a dozen wet patches through the bore before they started coming out clean. Then a couple dry patches followed up with oil to prevent rust (I used straight Ballistol).

If you can support the rifle so that it lays horizontally with the action open and ejection port facing down, it will keep any fouling or solvent from getting into the action.

Seriously, it's easier than cleaning an AR15 or an AK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You got me curious.  I shoot corrosive ammo so I was at first thinking that the process would be the same.  Humm.....so I looked into it.

"The cleaning of black powder firearms has evolved much like the guns themselves have. When true black powder is used the general cleaning system is to heat up some water add a little soap, swab the barrel and scrub the parts until everything was clean. This process was followed by light oil, yes even a bear grease coating in the old days, to prevent rust from developing."

Taken from: http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/black-powder-firearm-cleaning/
View Quote
Yup, it's the same general procedure that I use when cleaning my Mosin Nagant after firing corrosive ammo.  BTW.....the article goes on to mention "modern methods."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will find that cleanup is easy, as long as the Buffalo Arms loads carry enough lube on the bullets.

I recently put 100 .44-40 black powder handloads through my Uberti 1860 Henry. Fifty were loaded with 28 grains of 3Fg Goex plus cornmeal filler so there wasn't air space, while the other 50 were full-power loads with 35 grains of 3Fg Goex. Bullets were home cast from an Accurate Molds 43-215C mold, which carry a lot of lube. Swiss black powder burns a lot cleaner.

To clean the rifle afterwards I used cotton flannel patches wet with a "moose milk" of Ballistol and water. About 25% Ballistol with the rest water but the mix isn't critical. What is needed is the water -- you can use a mix of soapy water, windshield wiper fluid, or Windex. Black powder solvent is water soluble.

It took about a dozen wet patches through the bore before they started coming out clean. Then a couple dry patches followed up with oil to prevent rust (I used straight Ballistol).

If you can support the rifle so that it lays horizontally with the action open and ejection port facing down, it will keep any fouling or solvent from getting into the action.

Seriously, it's easier than cleaning an AR15 or an AK.
View Quote
Sounds about right; my only relevant experience is with a flintlock Kentucky rifle. Hot water with dish soap will do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, if you want to save the brass you'll need to soak it in soapy water and rinse thoroughly, to get the fouling out. Last time I shot BP .44-40s, I brought a plastic jug with soapy water in it and dumped my brass in it immediately, although you can wait a bit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BTW, if you want to save the brass you'll need to soak it in soapy water and rinse thoroughly, to get the fouling out. Last time I shot BP .44-40s, I brought a plastic jug with soapy water in it and dumped my brass in it immediately, although you can wait a bit.
View Quote
Good tip. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have some Buffalo Arms 44-40 that will be arriving today. It's the 200 gr RNFP BP ammo. I'm anxious to shoot it, but I'd like to get some input on cleaning up the gun after I shoot. What are you doing?
View Quote
Dave M pretty much nailed it, but I cut my water and Ballistol 7-1, some of the CAS guy even go 9 or 10 to 1.

I have a Uberti '66 Sporting Rifle in 44-40 and two ancient '73 Winchester's in 38-40. I've shot GOEX and Swiss in all of them. Swiss is MUCH cleaner burning, easier to clean and can go longer without cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
This stuff is loaded with Swiss.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This stuff is loaded with Swiss.
View Quote
If you haven't ever tried Swiss, you will be amazed at how much cleaner burning it is vs. Goex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top