Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/4/2018 6:52:16 PM EDT
I'm looking for a folding, replaceable blade utility knife that I can carry tip up in my pocket like I do my normal EDC knife.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Husky utility folder from home depot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I always found them annoying enough to just stick with the regular gray handled knives. I always had problems with the swivel lock that held the blade in coming open.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagging for interest.

I would even be interested in something that isn’t a folder with a compact handle made out of aluminum. I think Rexford was making some sort of little multi-tool/razor blade holder out of Ti for like $250. I’d be much more interested in an imported version made from aluminum for $30-$50.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Gerber makes a pretty slick mini one. Doesn't take up much pocket space.

I like my Tajima wallpaper breakaway knife better though...
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.
I've had the husky and similar ones in the past and was hoping for something slimmer, so I looked at the Gerber, but then it looks like it'd be kind of hard to hold onto.

I think right now I'm leaning towards the Gerber, but I'm going to keep looking.

Thanks for the ideas, and if anyone has more I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The Gerber is an amazingly useful utility blade.

Got one as a gift a few years back thinking "OK, that's nice, but probably won't use it" and it gets used just about every day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Gerber is an amazingly useful utility blade.

Got one as a gift a few years back thinking "OK, that's nice, but probably won't use it" and it gets used just about every day.
View Quote
Unfortunately discontinued if you mean this one:

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope this is the one I'm talking about.  A $7 add-on item on Prime.  The EAB Lite knife.

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Define "Utility."

I wind up using an OTF Lighting for that. It's not as sharp, it's certainly not a replaceable blade, it works one handed and retracts without "wiping" it against your pants leg. It's actually been pretty handy especially doing stupid stuff like extracting staples 24 feet up on a ladder. Two handed opening is not your friend up there.

Milwaukee made a button lock you could "brownie snap" with no detents.

The big box is full of dozens, the problem with most is loading the blades.

For cutting sheetrock - the original job I bought one - I use a fixed blade utility. No wiggling, joints to fail or retractor buttons to jam. That stopped all the problems with that job. You just change the blade around as needed, and you are careful how it's carried. Less complication works better with gypsum.

If EDC doesn't equal utility then it takes a special blade AFAIK. I grab the Lightning anytime I'm working on the house and it's been ok.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope this is the one I'm talking about.  A $7 add-on item on Prime.  The EAB Lite knife.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Vsy1mexHL._SL1360_.jpg
View Quote
If you have a Runnings nearby, they have the Gerber E.A.B. (not Lite) on sale for just $6.99 this week.

ETA:  Bought one. Nice, but needs a thumb stud.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone gave me one with a dull blade. Whats the best replacement blade? Stanley Carbide? Stanley 700?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
A lot of job sites do not allow the folding husky utility knives and similar. They are a safety risk. I would have thought this was ridiculous, until I was the unfortunate victim of an accident. The blades are easily removed for replacement, a little too easy. Let me explain (kind of long):

I was working as a communication systems installer doing a job for a school district. Because of the school hours, we worked at night.  I was retrieving supplies from our conex, which was illuminated by a couple of hanging lights. I reached for a part and felt something poke my hand. It didn't hurt much until I moved my head to better see what happened. There was a razor blade sticking out of a cardboard box! My palm was sliced wide open. I spent the night sitting in the ER.

The next day I got a call from a co-worker/friend sincerely apologizing. He realized his blade was missing. He'd poked his folding husky knife into a cardboard box momentarily so he could free up both hands. Upon retrieving the knife he unknowingly left the blade sticking out of the cardboard box. It had slipped out of the handle.

I retired my husky folder after that, as did several other guys who had them. A more experienced IBEW Union electrician told us those knives are known for being a risk and are not allowed on many jobs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Ended up picking this guy up for ~$8 I think, at Home Depot yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Shown with my normal EDC.

Not as thin as I'd prefer, and not tip up, but overall I think it'll work well enough.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
i just ordered a box of 100 replacement blades.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Someone gave me one with a dull blade. Whats the best replacement blade? Stanley Carbide? Stanley 700?
View Quote
I haven't found the carbide blades any more lasting than regular ones on a daily construction site.
I'd stick with whatever is on sale by stanley, lennox, etc.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top