Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
There's a gazebo in our community that has become a hub for selling drugs. It's located about 60 yards from my home with a clear line of sight. What would be a good focal length for monitoring it with an ipcam?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
PTZ's are expensive and typically look out of place on a house.

I'd consider a motorized varifocal camera (autofucus is a must).   You could adjust it to the focal length that gets you the reach you need but could pull it back from your app if need be. Something with good low light sensitivity

2.8-12mm is common and might be good enough.   7-22mm would likley be better but the cost is going to be more and it wont pull back near as far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Monitoring how?
What do you want to accomplish?

General scene monitoring is different than facial re ognition or license plate reading.

Need to define what you want to accomplish, then look to the pixels per square foot or square meter calculations to accomplish those tasks.c
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I already have an Hikvision network of cameras so I ended up going with this one:

https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/IP-Products/Network-Cameras/DeepinView-Series/ids-2cd7a45g0-iz-h-s-y-/

With a 4.7mm-118mm lens it's proven very capable so far; I can make out faces in parked cars in good light and it's capturing plates easily. Will see how it does at night once I get it mounted outside; it's currently in a 4th floor window. This is zoomed in about halfway.

Attachment Attached File

The problem may be close to resolution already though. There are a lot of cops/military in our community. One neighbor a few doors up from me is FBI and showed me names and photos of all the visitors. Apparently he and some other agencies were already onto this.

The visitors are suppliers, dropping off narcotics to sellers in quantity. They sure picked a stupid spot to do this. I do appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like your off to a promising start.    That is a lot of camera for the money.  Make sure it is mounted to something sturdy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top