Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 9:24:16 PM EDT
I ran up on a used one today and I was thinking about picking up for a hog /deer gun. Any issues I should know about?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I ran up on a used one today and I was thinking about picking up for a hog /deer gun. Any issues I should know about?
View Quote
I've always wanted one of these. The prices have been all over the place. They seem to be north of $1k on all fronts now though. The only complaint I've heard from them was the difficulty of disassembling them... I know that wouldn't deter me if I run up on a deal.

Which barrel profile are you looking at?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s a 16in heavy barrel . They are 725 with one mag or 900 for the comp model.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s a 16in heavy barrel . They are 725 with one mag or 900 for the comp model.
View Quote
Where? I'm looking at Gun.Deals and the cheapest price I see is $1400
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I know they’re a bit hefty, but by all accounts they’re supposed to be nice (they’re about the only FN gun I haven’t owned by now). They and the PBR are both failed (in the commercial sense) FN offerings from around the same timeframe, I think they intended them as cheaper and more sporterized alternatives to the FN SPR and SCAR respectively. As a general rule FN .308 barrels shoot pretty precisely across all models, and there’s speculation they use pretty much the same manufacturing infrastructure for their manufacture.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve hunted deer with a bolt action 308 (semi not permitted in that state) and hogs here with a LR-308. I think it would make a handy deer/hog rifle. If I came across one at a good price I would buy it. I don’t deer hunt anymore but for hogs I’d put a 1-4 lpvo, a light and call it good.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Local gun store has them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweet rifle but a pain in the ass to take down.  Mags are expensive but as a hunting rifle 2-3 mags is more than sufficient.
BIL has one and the few times I have shot it the rifle is very pleasant to shoot not as loud and obnoxious as my SCAR but not as fun to shoot as the SCAR.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
A real bitch (complicated) to dis and reassemble.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A real bitch (complicated) to dis and reassemble.
View Quote
It is based off Browning's semi auto rifle design.  Good design but a PITA to take down.  The BIL got halfway through it and gave up and had me finish the takedown and reassemble because he is not a big gun guy nor does he really have an understanding of how it all works.  Which is ok but he observed and learned from the experience and always is appreciative of the help.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Solid rifle that is very accurate with quality ammo. I'd look at the competition model as well if you want some adjust-ability in the comb for optics use.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one and love it.

Wrote about it and its development.

The Browning BAR. The hunting rifle and its history.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top