Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2018 3:07:36 PM EDT
I won't name the engraver, but for a few years I had been sending all my Form 1 builds to an engraver who reliably did good work on aluminium pieces, but when I sent my Remington 700 receiver to them they totally f'd up.

I have NFA markings on other steel receivers and curved steel parts, and never have I seen such shit work.

Sadly, I did nothing about it at the time.  I should have called them up and asked when they started letting monkeys with dremels do their work.  It's been about two years now, and the more I see this shabby work the more it pisses me off.

Are there any options out there for fixing this?

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
How much is it bothering you in dollars? Any machine shop could flat-mill it off. Is there enough material there to do that and then have it re-engraved?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I just dremmel mine
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much is it bothering you in dollars? Any machine shop could flat-mill it off. Is there enough material there to do that and then have it re-engraved?
View Quote
It's $80-120 bothering me.  I am going to Cerekote the whole thing, so I don't really have to consider refinishing cost, just the machining and engraving.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a 10/22 SBR engraved with 12GA on the receiver.

They laser blocked it out and re-cut 22LR into the box. Its ugly but functional. It was also free along with 3 other engravings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree, it looks like electro-etch.
Quite easy to mill the spot and re-engrave.
Could also add filler, file, polish, and engrave. No reason too much heat would be needed and an Al bar, inside the receiver, would soak up any xtra.

Couldn't say cost wise, but a few calls could clear it up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If all the info is correct I wouldn't do anything to it, it's readable and meets the requirements as it is, I'd enjoy the gun and find a new engraved for future needs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You can always contact me for quality engraving at www.garysbunker.com
30 years experience.

I can also repair others botched up engraving and washed out proof marks etc.

Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top