Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 11:24:20 PM EDT
I have a Savage 10FP with an SWFA SS 16x that I put together when I was 18-19 years old. That was around 15 years ago and I haven't shot the rifle much since then, although I remember it being sub-MOA. I'm pulling a Viper PST Gen II 5-25x off an AR because it's too much scope for a .223 (replacing with 3-15) and I'm debating if I should replace the SWFA with this Viper.  Would the Viper be more appropriate, or would you leave the cheaper fixed power scope in place?  Is it capable as a 1,000 yd rifle? I have some Black Hills 168gr left which is about all I've put through it.  It's my only bolt action.  I thought about holding the 5-25 for an AR-10 build one day, but not sure if that will actually ever happen.

I don't hunt, so it's just a target rifle, but I want a long range setup to play with when the time presents itself.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I know I'm not with the status quo when I say this, but I'm a fan of the fixed power scopes. I put a Leupold 4x on my X-Bolt .30-06, it the magnification doesn't make what I'm shooting at big enough, I shouldn't take the shot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Most will disagree with me but I think the SWFA is a better scope than the Vortex for tracking. The 16x tends to be less useful for all around use compared to a variable or a 6/10/12x fixed would be though. It'll do 1000yrds just not with the 168 SMKs, those will tend to get unstable past 600yrds. Any other more modern 160 class or heavier will be a better choice for that distance
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know I'm not with the status quo when I say this, but I'm a fan of the fixed power scopes. I put a Leupold 4x on my X-Bolt .30-06, it the magnification doesn't make what I'm shooting at big enough, I shouldn't take the shot.
View Quote

I prefer fixed power scopes too. Less stuff to be fiddling with when you should be focused on hunting. Plus, fixed power scopes are a lot less prone to breakage at critical times.

That said, all scoped hunting rifles should have a set of iron-sights pre-zeroed with the same ammo out to the maximum practical distance you can consistently put a bullet into fur.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
For hunting, I really enjoy the simplicity of a fixed power scope. Long range target shooting, you definitely want a FFP, variable, higher power magnification.

I have a 2.5x fixed scope that has been a deer and pig slayer. It’s just so simple to use- point and click.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For hunting, I really enjoy the simplicity of a fixed power scope. Long range target shooting, you definitely want a FFP, variable, higher power magnification.

I have a 2.5x fixed scope that has been a deer and pig slayer. It’s just so simple to use- point and click.
View Quote

I disagree but not entirely. A fixed 10x optic is perfectly useable for long range target shooting. Do I use fixed power scopes for long range? No, because there’s better options. I wouldn’t discount the usability and efficacy of fixed power optics at long distance. OP has a SWFA 16x SS. That’s more than adequate for shooting at 1000y...
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I prefer fixed power scopes too. Less stuff to be fiddling with when should be focused on hunting. Plus, fixed power scopes are a lot less prone to breakage at critical times.

That said, all scoped hunting rifles should have a set of iron-sights pre-zeroed with the same ammo out to the maximum practical distance you can consistently put a bullet into fur.
View Quote
I'm generally in this camp.  All of my rifles have iron sights. The ones that have magnified optics, I tend to be a "zero and forget about it", rather than an "all of the clicks" person.  I find a good magnification and stick with it; at most I might adjust zoom to fit my area.

I have had fixed optics on rifles before with no complaints.  I would probably have fixed optics on many of my current setups, but they're getting harder to find if you want quality, and I'll take higher quality at a lower price, even if it means getting an adjustable zoom due to laws of supply and demand (and I'll readily acknowledge there's more demand and corresponding supply of adjustable units).

But a fixed 16x seems to be too much for a general purpose, but not "enough" for a longer range or more precision setup.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd give the 5-25x Viper a try.  Here is my thinking:

1.  If you are going to do long range shooting or even precision shooting at any range, more magnification is useful if the glass is good.  Heck, even 100 yard benchrest rifles run 45x!

2.  Variable power gives you versatility so you can have a wider FOV if needed.

3.  If the scope is mil/mil or moa/moa matching reticle and turrets and is FFP, you can adjust magnification to dial out or reduce heat mirage, without losing your reticle hold over, hold off values.  I find this very helpful.  If you don't have a sunshade extension tube (perhaps 4" if available) that also helps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I like a variable power optic on a bolt action.  I've got a 5-20x on a bolt action 308, it allows me to zoom in while zeroing, or shooting for tiny groups, and zoom out for situations where I want a larger field of view.  I actually have a PST Gen2 5-25x on a bolt action 223, and love it on there.  I shot a 500 yard F-Class match with it a few weekends ago and I don't find 25x to be too much power on a 223 when shooting 500 yards.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I disagree but not entirely. A fixed 10x optic is perfectly useable for long range target shooting. Do I use fixed power scopes for long range? No, because there’s better options. I wouldn’t discount the usability and efficacy of fixed power optics at long distance. OP has a SWFA 16x SS. That’s more than adequate for shooting at 1000y...
View Quote

That’s extremely fair. I never crank my scopes much above 10-12x even at longer distances because I like FOV and I like a bright picture/exit pupil being wider. Too much zoom, too much searching for your scope alignment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
My suggestion would be to leave the swfa 16x on it. It’s already sighted in and sub moa. You’re only target shooting with it, so you don’t have to worry about 16x being too much like you would with a hunting rifle and a close shot. The rifle sounds more than capable to do what you need it to do as it sits.

Why throw more money at a problem that doesn’t exist? I say that mostly because you don’t use it much. I think that the PST being variable power is a better all around choice for general usefulness, but it won’t make any noticeable improvement in what you are doing with it. If you don’t have a use for the extra long range scope planned in the near future, I would sell the PST and use that money for something that you would actually use. Why sit on that investment that isn’t doing any good and is only going to go down in value over time, just for the off chance that you buy/build an AR10 at some point?  

That’s just my point of view.  Everyone is different, especially when it comes to their fun money and toys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top