Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/11/2022 9:18:47 AM EDT
So, I’m looking at some options for a front (weak side) pocket carry of a fixed blade. I am pretty much considering a Kydex sheath with the Utilitclip (Slim 3.3 version for deeper pocket carry).

Just curious as to those who carry as part of their EDC; blade types, any issues, learning curve?

I really like the Amtac Blades concept, but despite the price, I’m not looking for a dedicated defensive blade and think more utilitarian. I have a few options on hand and once the Utiliclips come in, I’ll blade around a little.

My concern is access to the blade. I’ve used ring-pommel knives which make indexing very intuitive and easy. The Amtac blade designs have a pronounced butt on their knives which makes access with your fingers much easier. Just interested to hear what you use, and any issues access the blade. I’m assuming thinner is slightly better for pocket carry; I have a few that will fit that category, I just need to figure out if I can make something work with what I have…for now.

Purpose? Mostly utility, but I would always consider a knife a defensive tool when needed; maybe more like 70% utility / 30% defense. I know there are various methods of drawing, so I just want to make sure I can at least access it without needing to use three hands and two sets of eyes.

Any insight, experiences, or recommendations from those who pocket carry fixed blades.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I pocket carry my small Kwaiken almost every day:
" />

getting used to re-sheathing was the real learning curve for me.

I carry a Shrike when I go out, or cant carry a pistola:
" />

it is slim, and I use a ulticlip slim 3.3. makes it disappear.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
ESEE RB3
rkcustomkydex  sheath.   No clip

TOPS Knives Eagles Shadow
No clip

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry an Izula in the factory sheath without any clips. It rides with my keys and is easy to pull out of the sheath using my thumb.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
A fixed blade clipped into a pocket isn’t the best option. You end up with a lot of handle sticking out of your pocket to get the sheath high enough that you can actually get the knife in and then you have a few inches of handle hanging out of your pocket.

The good news is that the same knife and sheath should work great for IWB once you realize that trying to carry it in a pocket pretty much sucks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a Tops street scapel 2 at work a lot, love that design. I've got it rigged on 550 outer cord to hang to abdomen area when worn as a neck knife. I wear a tight tshirt under my scrub top to hold it in place. I want to be able to get to it fast without having to shove my arm halfway up my shirt. I've pocket carried it before, you have to be very intentional about resheathing. Horizontal belt carry is my preferred for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are clipping a fixed blade to your pocket with the handle visible you are doing it wrong.  Drop knife and kydex sheath no clip into the pocket.  Concealed
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Knives ship free has a few leather pocket holsters that work well. https://www.knivesshipfree.com/sheaths-fixed-blade-sheaths/
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry an Izula in the factory sheath $10 kydex sheath without any clips. It rides with my keys behind my wallet and is easy to pull out of the sheath using my thumb.
View Quote

If my hand is in my pocket, I'm popping the knife out of the sheath, over and over and over. The sheath I bought has a lip that's easy to catch on the pocket if I screw up getting the sheath off the first time.

" />
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bet a Skallywag Aculeus would work for you.
View Quote

Friends don't let friends overpay for D2 knives
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are clipping a fixed blade to your pocket with the handle visible you are doing it wrong.  Drop knife and kydex sheath no clip into the pocket.  Concealed
View Quote

OP wants this for a utility knife, that’s a major PITA to swap hands with your knife and fish the sheath out every time to put it back if you pop it out, or just having to deal with a loose sheath.

Fixed blades belong on a belt or a pack. Period.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OP wants this for a utility knife, that’s a major PITA to swap hands with your knife and fish the sheath out every time to put it back if you pop it out, or just having to deal with a loose sheath.

View Quote

As a guy who carries and uses my weak side pocket carried , concealed fixed blade a lot at work for almost 2 years now -  I have 2 functioning hands and don't have any problems with switching hands as needed, or reaching in my pocket and retrieving the sheath when I'm done, or simply putting the knife in my back pocket if I need both hands momentarily.

Maybe try it with a smaller fixed blade knife, or pants that aren't stretchy and form fitting. There are certain trade offs if you want a fixed blade knife to pocket carry. I abuse the fuck out of mine on a weekly basis - like hitting the spine with a framing hammer to cut nylon strapping on materials. Unlike a folder, there's not much that can go wrong. If I ever manage to break mine, I'll just buy another one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I pocket carry my small Kwaiken almost every day:

getting used to re-sheathing was the real learning curve for me.

I carry a Shrike when I go out, or cant carry a pistola:

it is slim, and I use a ulticlip slim 3.3. makes it disappear.
View Quote

Both are very much are what I’m considering…thanks @doubleplusgood!

Quoted:
A fixed blade clipped into a pocket isn’t the best option. You end up with a lot of handle sticking out of your pocket to get the sheath high enough that you can actually get the knife in and then you have a few inches of handle hanging out of your pocket.

The good news is that the same knife and sheath should work great for IWB once you realize that trying to carry it in a pocket pretty much sucks.
View Quote

Ironically, I hate to carry a pistol in my pocket, but I’ve toyed with some smaller fixed blades. If they’re flat, they ride just fine for me. I’m toying around with a Boker Accomplice right now. The sheath is tethered to my belt loop with 550 cord. So far it hasn’t moved around much doing some work. The ring does protrude a little, but easily covered by a T-shirt. Easy to deploy, but takes two hands to re-sheath and place back in the pocket. I have a few others to try out, but it’s a very viable option in the right configuration, just experimenting right now.

Quoted:
View Quote

No different than a belt clip folder and concealment isn’t necessarily a constraint for me.

Quoted:

View Quote

For a field blade, absolutely, but this is partially an EDC concept with defensive capabilities. While it’s weak-hand accessible, I still like to make sure the blade stays in place for ease of indexing. A little of the blade showing isn’t significant, but belt carry would be quite obvious. I have tried the slip sheath tied to the belt and IWB, which is also very functional, but often too much of the handle is exposed to get a good grip; it really depends on my dress attire and activity for that option.

Good feedback and suggestions.  This isn’t something for everyone, so I can understand the opinions against it, I’m just seeing how it works for me. Amtac designed (marketed?) the concept for defensive purposes (love the sheath concept, don’t care much for the blade design), so I’m just seeing how it would work for me…

Question for Doubleplusgood, on your pocket Shrike, how well does the pronounced butt/pommel aid in both indexing and drawing your knife from the pocket?

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Question for Doubleplusgood, on your pocket Shrike, how well does the pronounced butt/pommel aid in both indexing and drawing your knife from the pocket?

@ROCK6

it works really well for those things. it is a small knife, by design. very pointy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#16]
" />
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I'm finding having a little something to index your finger on makes it much easier to draw. Also, I have a few blades where the sheath houses more of the blade, which makes them a little easier to sit in the pocket. This is where I think (at least for me), Kydex is superior to leather as it's thinner.  Comfort is relative, but if the profile is flat and not too wide, it's a pretty comfortable rig.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
subbed. I've been interested in this for a while, but never figured out a way to do it comfortably. Either the knife is too small to be much use or the damn thing is too big to actually get carried.

currently a Microtech Combat Troodon in the back pocket. Almost 4" blade, 9.5" overall, handle is 5.5" without the glass breaker. About the size and weight of a loaded 1911 mag, and will fit in some of those carriers if I had reason to carry that way instead. For a non-hard use knife (i'm in an office, not construction) it works great for me. If I'm in need of a fixed blade there's always one nearby
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]
The Amtac Northman is probably the perfect mix of utilitarian and defensive. It fits small and big hands alike. Pocket carry is extremely comfortable and reachable. Other than the BEDU it is probably my favorite carry knife.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Amtac Northman is probably the perfect mix of utilitarian and defensive. It fits small and big hands alike. Pocket carry is extremely comfortable and reachable. Other than the BEDU it is probably my favorite carry knife.
View Quote

Tell me about the utilitarian aspect? I like the design for mostly a defensive blade, but I'm struggling with the design as a dual purpose, utilitarian/defensive blade. That said, I love the pocket concept and I got some various pocket clips in for a few blades that might fit the bill. Just working through the concept.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Tell me about the utilitarian aspect? I like the design for mostly a defensive blade, but I'm struggling with the design as a dual purpose, utilitarian/defensive blade. That said, I love the pocket concept and I got some various pocket clips in for a few blades that might fit the bill. Just working through the concept.

ROCK6
View Quote

This will do better than any text I can type here.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Screw Benchmade and all that, but i do have and like the single edge SOCP if you like a ring knife.
There are similar options like the Americam Kami GTFO and Spartan Blades CQB.

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, that was pretty informative. I now have some Utliclips and another brand to try out. Depending on the sheath retention level, you really need something like the Utiliclip. My current tethered version works well but you have to just learn to deal with a flopping sheath once deployed.

Some knife sheaths will work, some won't. If I don't go with a new knife and make something else work, I may very well have to get a sheath made that will have slightly higher coverage.

Also, for my pocket carry, I'm looking at my left-pocket/weak-side. Most of my training is reverse grip, so it's a little more intuitive for me.

I like the Northman, even the larger Minuteman, which would still work for me, but I'm still not quite sure about the blade profile. One aspect is important and it's the slimmer/flatter designed blades work best for that type of pocket carry. As long as the profile is flat, the sheath can still be somewhat wider and not be uncomfortable or even very noticeable.

Quoted:
Screw Benchmade and all that, but i do have and like the single edge SOCP if you like a ring knife.
There are similar options like the Americam Kami GTFO and Spartan Blades CQB.

I trained with and used the SOCP in Afghanistan. It's really a niche knife, but fills that role quite well. The "rings" are pretty unique is that when used with you weak hand, as you make enough distance to draw your firearm, you can continue that transition without dropping the knife; even to the point of going to a two-hand hold on your handgun.

If get my chores done today, I'll get to play a little and see what works with the new pocket clips for what I currently have...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Between this thread and my daily carry kershaw folder not locking at all and my ZT not locking open in my left had I decoded to get a fixed blade pocket carry. Wound up getting an Izula 2.  With the stock sheath it works well but I will probably get a kydex holster at some point.  I use the lanyard ring on the butt to index my pinky when drawing.

ETA I don't use the clip so far it sits in my front pocket just fine without much movement.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I pocket carry this.  I need to get a different clip.
Suggestions?
Attachment Attached File

I love this freaking blade.  I over paid for it.  Bought in Eureka springs.  I used it last fall to gut a buck.  The blade held a edge extremely well.  I even batoned it to cut through the tail bone.
Not to expensive either.  Like 50 or 60
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I pocket carry this.  I need to get a different clip.
Suggestions?
View Quote

Another option I'm trying along with the Utiliclips are HLR Discreet Carry Clips   Discreet Carry Concepts clips

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As a guy who carries and uses my weak side pocket carried , concealed fixed blade a lot at work for almost 2 years now -  I have 2 functioning hands and don't have any problems with switching hands as needed, or reaching in my pocket and retrieving the sheath when I'm done, or simply putting the knife in my back pocket if I need both hands momentarily.

Maybe try it with a smaller fixed blade knife, or pants that aren't stretchy and form fitting. There are certain trade offs if you want a fixed blade knife to pocket carry. I abuse the fuck out of mine on a weekly basis - like hitting the spine with a framing hammer to cut nylon strapping on materials. Unlike a folder, there's not much that can go wrong. If I ever manage to break mine, I'll just buy another one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22018/20220411_112438_jpg-2345591.JPG
View Quote

Good points. I tried pocket carrying an izula for a few months and ultimately went back to clip folders for speed and general ease of use.

Izula and a squarish leather sheath was a great combo for it though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Small update, a few blades I've been playing with, most are better suited to waist belt (IWB) carry, but I got a few pocket sheaths made for a couple and it's really the best way to go for pocket carry:

The two pocket sheaths were done by Gypsy EDC.  Aaron is a stellar guy who makes very simple, but exceptionally well thought out pocket sheaths. I will probably get a couple more made from him.  Fully ambidextrous, excellent and solid friction fit, smooth back for comfortable carry, with a solid pocket clip setup.  I've been doing drills with both the Minuteman and the Picolomako and they are extremely well suited to this form of carry and draw.  The length may matter, but for most pockets that aren't shallow, even the longer Minuteman rides very well and unobtrusive. Best pockets are high cut, not the side-slash pockets.

This type of carry is situational for me as not all my pants or shorts will work with them and it's best suited to mostly a weak-hand draw for defensive purposes. I still keep the IWB sheaths for those other instances, but pocket carry (with the right pants/shorts) is quite comfortable for me and with the right pommel/deeper punyo make access much easier and quicker to get a consistently solid grip.

So far, pretty happy with these two front pocket sheaths, there are a couple smaller fixed blades that get some front-left-side horizontal carry that I still like (Spyderco Street Beat, Bradford Guardian, and White River Model #1); they carry discreetly under a T-shirt and easy to access with right or left hand. I may do some work with the smaller TDI, BM Azeria or Clinch Pick as well....

ROCK6

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I like this one a lot for the Nlorthman.

https://amtacblades.com/product/amtac-blades-northman-pocket-firesheath/
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like this one a lot for the Nlorthman.

https://amtacblades.com/product/amtac-blades-northman-pocket-firesheath/
View Quote

Yeah, but they've been out of stock and the reply I got back was they're hoping to get some made by August.  I went with a custom route that works extremely well. Regardless, both the AMTAC and Gypsy EDC sheaths are very well made and both ambidextrous, which I really appreciate.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are places this will get you arrested.  In my local if the clip or handle are showing it isn't an illegally concealed weapon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There are places this will get you arrested.  In my local if the clip or handle are showing it isn't an illegally concealed weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are both good points and much depends on local laws. We can conceal or open carry knives (and handguns) with our current "weapon carry license" (now Constitutional Carry). I'm okay with a little visible, many see a pocket clip and just assume it's a knife, I'm not as concerned.  California is whacked, but a guy who passed away last year, used to carry a larger fixed blade that was inverted and the handle just visible below his shirt or jacket. I stole this picture from him:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

These are both good points and much depends on local laws. We can conceal or open carry knives (and handguns) with our current "weapon carry license" (now Constitutional Carry). I'm okay with a little visible, many see a pocket clip and just assume it's a knife, I'm not as concerned.  California is whacked, but a guy who passed away last year, used to carry a larger fixed blade that was inverted and the handle just visible below his shirt or jacket. I stole this picture from him:

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ROCK6

Exactly. Depends on the municipality.

For example this:
No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a dagger, any knife with a blade more than two and one-half inches in length, or other dangerous weapon.

Now, what does that mean?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Exactly. Depends on the municipality.

For example this:

Now, what does that mean?
View Quote

That's my work restriction...I've been able to get by with a 3" bades, but we have metal detectors and sporadic checks and wands.  Military base and three letter agency campus. EDC with fixed blade is when not working...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread has inspired me to order a Cold Steel Bird and Game and a sheath with an ulticlip slim.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Blades/.highres/Charlie%20Mike%20Carry_zpsju90v66j.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

And that would be legal.  With folders if the clip is showing it isn't concealed.  Drop it in the pocket where none of it can be seen it is.  Expect changes now that three folks were attacked in a "mass" knife attack.  Imagine if someone in that gun free zone had been armed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#38]

@doubleplusgood what knife is that on the right?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

that is the Flat Rock Shrike
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks

I was looking at this blade for appendix iwb carry

The two knives in photos I quoted above look similar
https://complianceedgeknives.com/products/dck?variant=42952815673568
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered an AmTac Northman.

Looking forward to receiving it and getting some training.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered an AmTac Northman.

Looking forward to receiving it and getting some training.
View Quote

I use the trainer at the range, doing simple drills of drawing (either from the pocket or IWB), creating space and then going for the pistol.  All are contact-distance drills.  Don't use your regular blade too much, I shredded my cardboard target frame

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I use the trainer at the range, doing simple drills of drawing (either from the pocket or IWB), creating space and then going for the pistol.  All are contact-distance drills.  Don't use your regular blade too much, I shredded my cardboard target frame

ROCK6
View Quote

I saw the review where the dude was drawing the trainer from his belt and striking the wood board.  I'm going to try that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I saw the review where the dude was drawing the trainer from his belt and striking the wood board.  I'm going to try that.
View Quote

Wood is fine for the blade; I used heavy wooden pallets in Afghanistan. It's just when you use both knife and gun that your target doesn't last long
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top