Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2020 10:37:12 PM EDT
I picked up an SBT5A brace. Extremely tight fit.

I would rather fit the plate to the receiver than the other way around.

What is recommended as an abrasive?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

I used a round file to the tight spots. Then used a diamond dust file to fine tune it. If putting on an SP5, you may have to cut a notch in the buffer in the area where the FA carrier block lines up in order to get it to slide on all the way.

Edit: Use Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to finish the bare metal after filing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used a round file to the tight spots. Then used a diamond dust file to fine tune it. If putting on an SP5, you may have to cut a notch in the buffer in the area where the FA carrier block lines up in order to get it to slide in all the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I used a round file to the tight spots. Then used a diamond dust file to fine tune it. If putting on an SP5, you may have to cut a notch in the buffer in the area where the FA carrier block lines up in order to get it to slide in all the way.
Thanks. It is going on an Omega. The paint is thick.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

You may find it is just the perimeter of the adapter that needs fitting. Once you break all the edges, you will get a better feel for what it needs. A little oil helps to identify tight spots too. Or layout fluid if you have any.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You may find it is just the perimeter of the adapter that needs fitting. Once you break all the edges, you will get a better feel for what it needs. A little oil helps to identify tight spots too. Or layout fluid if you have any.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I marked the plate with Dykem to find the high spots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That was way too easy.

The fit on the Omega is very good. These are very nicely made clones.

I just oiled and polished up the back plate. Slid right on. The layout fluid was overkill.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That was way too easy.

The fit on the Omega is very good. These are very nicely made clones.

I just oiled and polished up the back plate. Slid right on. The layout fluid was overkill.

View Quote

Congrats, The back plate has been hit and miss for fitment. Mine required a little massaging to fit my PTR. I'm SBR'ing my SP5 so wont matter for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I just installed a SB brace on my SP5.  It went right on with little pressure. No modifications were necessary. I'm pleased.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone modded one of these to limit the QD rotation?

I was thinking about drilling and tapping for a grub screw.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you have to do any kind of modification to get it to fit properly?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:

I used a round file to the tight spots. Then used a diamond dust file to fine tune it. If putting on an SP5, you may have to cut a notch in the buffer in the area where the FA carrier block lines up in order to get it to slide on all the way.

View Quote

Not for the 5A brace.  The HKPDW brace is the one that needs the notch cut on a SP5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top