Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2020 1:54:37 PM EDT
Hello everyone,
I am new to plate carriers/armor, etc and looking for help and advice. A while back I bought a used condor MOPC carrier with some ammo/mag pouches locally for a really good deal, but never got around to using it previously because of my weight and size.
I have worked on my weight and have gotten it down to 200lbs so far. My goal it to get to 185-190lbs so I am almost there.
I am not sure if I can still use the MOPC as it now might be too big on me.
My current height 5' 10.5" and am left handed (would need something with either a lefthand shooters cut or ambi cut. )
Should I try to utilize this carrier or just resell it and get something better? From doing a little searching on here it seems that this carrier is not recommended. Again I bought it on a whim.
If so what do you guys recommend for a carrier and armor?
I just want something for SHTF with all that is going on with the insanity of this country right now.
Something cost effective and all from one place would be nice.
I just watched the MR guns and gear review of this RTS setup..
This is probably the max I would like to spend right now.
Is this any good, or are there better options out there.
I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
There is so much different stuff out there for this just not sure where to begin.
Thanks for your help.
Mav
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It's going to be much easier to recommend a setup if you can paint a clearer picture of the intended use, and a budget. I know you said it's for SHTF, but do you plan on having juat front and back plates and a couple mags, or do you plan on running side plates, an ifak, comms, admin items, etc.? Do you already have a belt set up, and if so what's on it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to be much easier to recommend a setup if you can paint a clearer picture of the intended use, and a budget. I know you said it's for SHTF, but do you plan on having juat front and back plates and a couple mags, or do you plan on running side plates, an ifak, comms, admin items, etc.? Do you already have a belt set up, and if so what's on it?
View Quote

Hey.
Thanks for your help. TBH-I am a noob to all of this, and probably won't be running half the stuff you mentioned, but I will give me best explanation of what I would like.
Budget-under $500-under $400 would be better (why I was looking at the one I linked)
I do want front and rear plates that will be the most comfortable or lightweight but still provide at least level 3 coverage (4 a plus). Also have room for maybe a trauma pad behind the plates. I guess one of the cons to that condor is the plates move all over the place and I don't want that.
I don't want to do side plates at this time, but would like the carrier to have good options to do so in the event I would like to add them in the future.
I won't be running any comms, or ifak, but would like to have ability to add some mag carriers on the front.

I don't have any belt setup. Never even thought about that one. I just want to concentrate on the carrier and plates for now, but will take suggestions for this for future.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hey.
Thanks for your help. TBH-I am a noob to all of this, and probably won't be running half the stuff you mentioned, but I will give me best explanation of what I would like.
Budget-under $500-under $400 would be better (why I was looking at the one I linked)
I do want front and rear plates that will be the most comfortable or lightweight but still provide at least level 3 coverage (4 a plus). Also have room for maybe a trauma pad behind the plates. I guess one of the cons to that condor is the plates move all over the place and I don't want that.
I don't want to do side plates at this time, but would like the carrier to have good options to do so in the event I would like to add them in the future.
I won't be running any comms, or ifak, but would like to have ability to add some mag carriers on the front.

I don't have any belt setup. Never even thought about that one. I just want to concentrate on the carrier and plates for now, but will take suggestions for this for future.
Thanks
View Quote
Medical and knowing how to use it is more important than armor. I would strongly reconsider.

The reality is, cheap things are cheap for a reason. The most economical quality plates that aren't a mystery box from China are RMA 1155s, a set of which will cost about $270. One of the more economical plate carriers like the Ferro Slickster or Velocity LEPC will run about $160-$185 if you can find any in stock. Anything less and you're getting into questionable territory. I know it's the big trend on Arfcom lately to pretend that Chinese garbage is just as good as American stuff, but it isn't. This is the absolute rock bottom you can go and still be assured of getting any level of quality. Those 1155s are going to be very heavy and border on sucking to wear, but that's the price you pay for not spending more on the plates.

Consider very seriously if you're actually going to invest the time and effort necessary to be proficient with armor. If you aren't, it'll just gather dust in your closet. I would again stress that medical is very important, as is fitness (good job so far, BTW) and other skills. Belts are particularly useful because they don't encumber you as much and you'll likely do more practice with them. Stuff to consider.

Trauma pads are a waste of time, so don't worry about that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/copy-of-hesco-l210-level-iv-special-threat-plates-set-of-2

These go quick, but I noticed kota has them in stock right now and shipping today.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I noticed that they also increased the price from when I bought them in May
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Also if you don’t mind the different pattern. These LBX plate carriers are really nice. I bought one in caiman as a backup to my JPC 1.0

LBX is a sister company of London bridge trading. They are a US company with US made materials that are sewn in Peru.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LBX-Tactical-Modular-Plate-Carrier-LBX-0300-LBT-Inland-Taipan-M-L-/383813892586?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
OP,
Like you I'm relatively new to armor & PC's. I've learned *a lot* from this forum and my own personal experimentation the past couple of months, I'll share a little of what I've learned, hope it helps.

1) Weight adds up fast. Ounces become pounds, pounds become pain, keep weight to a minimum. The RTS setup you posted is just over 16lbs for just the PC & plates. My own III+ setup w/2 rifle reloads & IFAK is 14lbs 11oz.
2) Anything on a plate carrier should accomplish one of the following: Plug holes (IFAK), stop holes (armor) or make holes (spare mags). Anything else is superfluous and might be better located elsewhere (like a belt).
3) Unless you're planning on a lot of use, inexpensive carriers can be just fine for emergency civvie use or range/training.

Personally, I have no problems w/current Condor offerings, their chest rigs have served me well for years of training/classes and I like their Sentry LCS PC, but there are other options.
For example, the LAPG Low_Vis carrier weighs only 1lb 3oz (1lb if you replace the LAPG elastic cummerbund w/the Slickster carry cummerbund): LAPG Low-Vis Carrier
I own two of them and think they're great for the price (cummerbund could use improving, mainly by moving the integral mag pouches forward for easier access, hence why I use the Slickster cummerbund now).

IMHO the Battle Steel Lvl IV plates are a 'best buy' for their rating. Yeah, they're probably made in China but they've been independently tested and I've yet to see them fail against their rated threat. They're also multicurve so it's hard to go wrong for $99: Battle Steel Lvl IV Plates

The Battle Steel IV plates weigh 5lb 12oz/ea (my own scale) so two of those plus an LAPG Low-Vis carrier would run you appx $260 + shipping/sales tax and weigh appx 12lb 11oz.
Personally, I like their lighter (5lb/ea) but more expensive ($149/ea) III+ multicurve plates: Battle Steel III+ Multicurve

Two III+ plates would be 10lbs, LAPG carrier would be 1lb 3oz for 11lb 3oz (before adding mags and IFAK) and run appx $360 + shipping/sales tax.

So you see, you have options. Do your research and ask questions to determine what setup works best for your particular needs & budget.
HTH...

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP,
Like you I'm relatively new to armor & PC's. I've learned *a lot* from this forum and my own personal experimentation the past couple of months, I'll share a little of what I've learned, hope it helps.

1) Weight adds up fast. Ounces become pounds, pounds become pain, keep weight to a minimum. The RTS setup you posted is just over 16lbs for just the PC & plates. My own III+ setup w/2 rifle reloads & IFAK is 14lbs 11oz.
2) Anything on a plate carrier should accomplish one of the following: Plug holes (IFAK), stop holes (armor) or make holes (spare mags). Anything else is superfluous and might be better located elsewhere (like a belt).
3) Unless you're planning on a lot of use, inexpensive carriers can be just fine for emergency civvie use or range/training.

Personally, I no problems w/current Condor offerings, their chest rigs have served me well for years of training/classes and I like their Sentry LCS PC, but there are other options.
For example, the LAPG Low_Vis carrier weighs only 1lb 3oz (1lb if you replace the LAPG elastic cummerbund w/the Slickster carry cummerbund): LAPG Low-Vis Carrier
I own two of them and think they're great for the price (cummerbund could use improving, mainly by moving the integral mag pouches forward for easier access, hence why I use the Slickster cummerbund now).

IMHO the Battle Steel Lvl IV plates are a 'best buy' for their rating. Yeah, they're probably made in China but they've been independently tested and I've yet to see them fail against their rated threat. They're also multicurve so it's hard to go wrong for $99: Battle Steel Lvl IV Plates

The Battle Steel IV plates weigh 5lb 12oz/ea (my own scale) so two of those plus an LAPG Low-Vis carrier would run you appx $260 + shipping/sales tax and weigh appx 12lb 11oz.
Personally, I like their lighter (5lb/ea) but more expensive ($149/ea) III+ multicurve plates: Battle Steel III+ Multicurve

Two III+ plates would be 10lbs, LAPG carrier would be 1lb 3oz for 11lb 3oz (before adding mags and IFAK) and run appx $360 + shipping/sales tax.

So you see, you have options. Do your research and ask questions to determine what setup works best for your particular needs & budget.
HTH...

Tomac

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/PA210003_JPG-169672.JPG
View Quote

I definitely want to second what you said about condor. I have also used various pouches and things from them for years. You hear a lot of complaints about them, but I’ve yet to hear a true story where a piece of their equipment has failed. I’ve been issued it at work and bought it myself.

In the grand scheme of things on a basic Plate Carrier there are very few things that can break down on them. You can do things on your own to reinforce shoulder straps, ETC. if you are really concerned about them. I’m sure your current plate carrier will do especially if you want to save cash to buy other gear.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Medical and knowing how to use it is more important than armor. I would strongly reconsider.

I agree, but I gotta do one thing at a time. Need to start somewhere.

The reality is, cheap things are cheap for a reason. The most economical quality plates that aren't a mystery box from China are RMA 1155s, a set of which will cost about $270. One of the more economical plate carriers like the Ferro Slickster or Velocity LEPC will run about $160-$185 if you can find any in stock. Anything less and you're getting into questionable territory. I know it's the big trend on Arfcom lately to pretend that Chinese garbage is just as good as American stuff, but it isn't. This is the absolute rock bottom you can go and still be assured of getting any level of quality. Those 1155s are going to be very heavy and border on sucking to wear, but that's the price you pay for not spending more on the plates.

Thanks, I will take a look at this.

Consider very seriously if you're actually going to invest the time and effort necessary to be proficient with armor. If you aren't, it'll just gather dust in your closet. I would again stress that medical is very important, as is fitness (good job so far, BTW) and other skills. Belts are particularly useful because they don't encumber you as much and you'll likely do more practice with them. Stuff to consider.

Thanks. I am working more and more on improving my health.

Trauma pads are a waste of time, so don't worry about that.

Really-why?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/copy-of-hesco-l210-level-iv-special-threat-plates-set-of-2

These go quick, but I noticed kota has them in stock right now and shipping today.
View Quote

Do you own these? If so what made you decide to go with them?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I noticed that they also increased the price from when I bought them in May
View Quote

Yeah I wish I would have looked into this more before all the nonsense started.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also if you don’t mind the different pattern. These LBX plate carriers are really nice. I bought one in caiman as a backup to my JPC 1.0

LBX is a sister company of London bridge trading. They are a US company with US made materials that are sewn in Peru.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LBX-Tactical-Modular-Plate-Carrier-LBX-0300-LBT-Inland-Taipan-M-L-/383813892586?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
View Quote

Ok. Thanks. Will take a look.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP,

I didn't realize that setup weighed as much as it does. I tend to trust Mr GNG reviews, so thought maybe that would be a good jumping off point. I could even run mags on a belt if it will help keep the weight down.

Personally, I have no problems w/current Condor offerings, their chest rigs have served me well for years of training/classes and I like their Sentry LCS PC, but there are other options.

I'll take a look at that carrier.

Can you get these plates anywhere else? I have been burned by botach and will never buy from them again.

HTH...

Tomac

Thanks for your help.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/PA210003_JPG-1696726.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you own these? If so what made you decide to go with them?
View Quote

I do. I went with them because they were recommended by others on here, the special threat rating covered pretty much anything I would encounter and also the light weight and thickness of the plate. They fit almost perfect in my JPC.

As a side note, I am 6’02 and about 225 (hoping to lose about 20) and they are just about right on me. I do have a size large esapi that I bought many years ago that I have in a closet.

I’ve often wondered if I should go with a large, but when I “punch out” with a pistol with the large plate on it interferes with my arms. Also, when I sit the plate comes up really high into my throat.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trauma pads came out of the swamp of steel plate pushers. A proper standalone plate will not need a backer, and an in-conjunction with plate will need an actual ballistic package of a certain specification behind it for it to work as rated. If you're using a standalone 0101.06/.07 plate with proper padding, it'll be pretty thick already. Adding thickness with a ballistically inert squishy pad isn't going to get you anything useful.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Here are some things I've learned, I'm NO expert, but this is where I'm at today and I'll share that with you as food for thought.

1.  Comms are a pain in the rear.  If you're going to run a radio, push-to-talk, radio, and relocated antenna cable management becomes an art and needs to be a KEY factor in how you layout your end goal set-up.

2.  Zip on packs are fine if you don't need to access anything on them, but they suck if you need to access things on them.  If you are a civilian and not working a team environment get a backpack and get yourself a pair of the Matbok strap claws, best thing I ever did.  The other big thing is of course being able to get in and out of a seated position comfortably and you can't do that if you've got big old packs zipped on your back without help.

3.  Make sure your cummerbund has good stiff structure, but is able to flex as well.  If you plan to run side plates of put anything of any weight like even an AR magazine or decent sized radio on the side or whatever you'll want something that holds it up and doesn't drop it down.  Now some guys like running really clean on the sides and I agree with that, but there are times when you need to carry more kit and all you've got are you sides if you want real quick access since the front is only capable of carrying so much before it becomes overly bulky.  The other advantage to stiff cummerbunds is that they'll help keep your plates in place. You want to keep the front plate low enough that it doesn't choke you and the back plate high enough that it's not dropping too low to cover your vitals.  However, if the cummerbund doesn't have any flex to it then it will restrict your heavy breathing when too tight or be too loose and the weight will shift around creating discomfort.  

4.  Scalable.  The new ITW clip front placards or in my opinion better trend now of G hook front placards (lower profile and lay flatter) give you some options (use them).  Keep the lowest amount of kit on you that you absolutely need, but of course be prepared to scale up if needed.  However, the goal is as little as possible to be as light weight as possible.

5.  Shoulder straps will make or break a carrier for most guys.  Some are too bulky in their attempt to pad the wearer from the weight carried.  The problem with bulky shoulder straps is that they can rub your neck raw or hinder shouldering a rifle, which is already difficult in armor.  However, if they're too thin and light on padding your shoulders are going to feel it when you're carrying any real weight.

6.  Plate carriers are NOT backpacks.  Be very discerning about what you carry on the plate carrier.  Remember you can always have extra gear in a pack or in a vehicle to resupply.  You will have to compromise.  The perfect set-up for all things for all people hasn't been invented yet.

Ultimately, plate carriers and pouch set-ups are a lot like holsters. You've probably purchased a few holsters that now sit in a box somewhere, because they didn't work well for you or you found something better.  Same with plate carriers and pouches.  You'll end up with stuff you don't use or want, it's sort of unavoidable.  Part of the expense is the learning curve.  Plus, new stuff is coming out all the time that incrementally makes plate carriers suck a little less.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I do. I went with them because they were recommended by others on here, the special threat rating covered pretty much anything I would encounter and also the light weight and thickness of the plate. They fit almost perfect in my JPC.

As a side note, I am 6’02 and about 225 (hoping to lose about 20) and they are just about right on me. I do have a size large esapi that I bought many years ago that I have in a closet.

I’ve often wondered if I should go with a large, but when I “punch out” with a pistol with the large plate on it interferes with my arms. Also, when I sit the plate comes up really high into my throat.

View Quote

We’re near the exact same height/weight and I only wear mediums at work. That’s about as big as I’d go unless someone is a monster.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys;
I am still looking at all this carrier stuff and there is a sale local for the following. Wondering if this is a good deal.

Up for sale is a Ar500 armor Veritas plate carrier. Accepts 10×12 or 11×13 plates. Comes with cummerbund, cummberbund pouch, side plate pouches, TQ pouch, universal holster, and plenty of PALS clips as well. All of this is pretty much brand new, never worn outside of trying on. Some of it never opened with tags.
$100 cash.

Is this stuff any better than the condor carrier stuff I have now?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey guys;
I am still looking at all this carrier stuff and there is a sale local for the following. Wondering if this is a good deal.

Up for sale is a Ar500 armor Veritas plate carrier. Accepts 10×12 or 11×13 plates. Comes with cummerbund, cummberbund pouch, side plate pouches, TQ pouch, universal holster, and plenty of PALS clips as well. All of this is pretty much brand new, never worn outside of trying on. Some of it never opened with tags.
$100 cash.

Is this stuff any better than the condor carrier stuff I have now?
View Quote

I dont have any experience with the ar500 carrier although I have heard that there is a couple meh things about it, it would probably be a side grade from the condor one you have.

If you are going to throw the money down on a new carrier then I would just wait until you are comfortable spending the money on something better. I have an LEPC as some else has mentioned and its a nice carrier although I will probably be switching the esstac ASS I just got.

WTF plate carrier is also supposed to pretty great for the price https://www.wtfidea.com/plate-carriers/.

The Condor MOPC that you have is more on the lbt 6094 full size, covered in molle spectrum of carriers and you should probably consider if that is what you actually want versus the newer more modular carriers that are popular right now like the  ferro slickster and such.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the feedback. It already sold so it's a moot point now anyways. I will just keep reading on this stuff for now I guess and stick with my condor until I figure out something better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top