Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2018 4:30:15 PM EDT
After reloading for 12 years I finally got a stuck case, I have an RCBS stuck case removal kit that I bought 12 years ago and never even opened. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to remove it however none of those video shown a decapping pin. As you can see from my pictures the decapping pin is there. From what I can tell I have to drill then tap the case, all of the other videos show the guys doing this until they get close to the decapping pin. With the way my pin is setting there's no way I can do that. Can you guys give me some direction on what to do? Thanks ...

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you not disassemble the die and remove or loosen the stem? Place the die back in the press and loosen the other parts. Maybe I am missing something here with how your assembly is stuck.

If it's just a decapping pin stuck in there somehow I would just tap it out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Loosen the lock on the decapping pin and screw it up as far into the body of the die as you can, then drill and tap the primer pockets..just be careful and not to jam the drill bit thru the case and hit the pin....
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I was kind of in the same boat a few weeks ago. I would just unscrew the decapping pin, tap the die/brass off the pin, then drive the brass out with a punch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, what case lube were you using?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
are those plier marks?  Pliers will never remove the stuck case.  Loosen the lock nut for the decapping stem.  The decapping pin which is attached to the expander ball can now move all the way up to the bottom of the inside of the neck (the neck is now smaller than the expander ball and won't pull out easily).

Then drill, tap, remove the stuck case.  The decapping pin, ball and rod is probably still inside the case as it hasn't come out of the smaller neck end yet.  Just cut the case in half and remove it from the other direction
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
if the stuck case is in a single stage press that means you're using a shell holder, just rotate the holder 180 degrees and then remove the holder
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
As others said, back the stem out as far as you can, then drill, tap, and remove.   5 minute job.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me guess you were using Hornady One Stuck (One Shot)

Quit using HOS!

Use Dillon Spray lube or get a tin of Imperial Die Wax or Hornady Unique Case lube.

#1 Back off the Decapping Rod Assembly this should clear out the decapping pin from flash hole
#2 Assemble tools
#3 Drill Out Primer Pocket
#4 Clear out the shard of brass
#5 Tap the drilled out Primer Pocket
#6 Take the Cup Thing Place over end die
#7 Screw in the screw
#8 Place assembly into Freezer for a bit) optional but seems to help
#9 Carefully screw out the struck case.
#10 Inspect decapping rod assembly for damage
#11 Clean die thoroughly and reaassemble
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, what case lube were you using?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
you can get a stuck case with any lube by not using enough of it
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys for being MIA but work and life has been kicking my ass. I finally tried getting the case out and it took all of 7 minutes. I did get the case stuck by not using enough lube. I bought the RCBS stuck case remover 12 years ago when I bought my first press but I never had to use it until now. The video was very helpful...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top