Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2020 3:17:59 PM EDT
Does anybody have experience with both of these cummerbund quick release systems? I’m trying to decide which system to go with on my daedon. What are the pros and cons to each system?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just switched to First Spear on my cummerbund (from velcro, not buckle), and they are a breeze to open...just by pulling one cord.  Far easier than unbuckling my Blue Aplha belt with a Cobra buckle...which seems like a puzzle some days.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Blaze defense tubes on mine.   Best investment ever.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

X2
View Quote

X3!

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used my FS Siege-R Opt for 5 years. I have run warrants with ATF, USMS, FBI, DEA, etc. Not one person who sees that rig in action wants anything else. Tubes are good.

Cobra as a main exit on a carrier is a death trap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've always felt Cobra buckle releases for plate carriers are bad design. Needing to release two buckles to get out of a carrier in an emergency plus the fact that any pull force exerted on a Cobra buckle will lock/prevent the buckles from unlocking is not ideal for serious use. Additionally, the metal buckles are sources for secondary frag.
View Quote

You’ve convinced me. I’m going with tubes
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aren’t the blaze defense tubes from first spear? I think I remember it being mentioned in one of their videos
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
First spear tubes all the way
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Aren't the blaze defense tubes from first spear? I think I remember it being mentioned in one of their videos
View Quote
Yep they are, order from blaze with confidence!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Edit: I ordered from Blaze, and they are definitely from first spear.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Aren’t the blaze defense tubes from first spear? I think I remember it being mentioned in one of their videos
View Quote

They are different.  Here is my two cents

The Blaze defense tubes system area PITA if you find yourself taking your PC on and off several times a day in a dynamic situation.  If they are not lined up perfectly up and down they snag and do not latch together.

If you just using your PC in a sterile environment like the range or during a shooting class where there is no stress and you are not rushing then they are just fine.

The buckles are a lot more forgiving to take off and on.  I used both and found the buckles were far superior.

I have since switched to the Agilite K5 PC and i don't have to undo the cummerbund to take it off and on.  I can slip my PC over my head and other than putting in my ear piece I'm ready to go in less then 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]

I like the killdozer patch. Is that the d3crm? That’s the chest rig I want to get, but I might end up going with the headon tactical cqb rig mod3. It resembles the d3crm, which is nearly impossible to get, unless you want to pay nearly double the price for it.
My pc is minimalist at the moment. I’m thinking d3crm, first spear tubes with a skeletonized cummerbund from mos, and a source tactical hydration pack and call it a day. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like the killdozer patch. Is that the d3crm? That's the chest rig I want to get, but I might end up going with the headon tactical cqb rig mod3. It resembles the d3crm, which is nearly impossible to get, unless you want to pay nearly double the price for it.
My pc is minimalist at the moment. I'm thinking d3crm, first spear tubes with a skeletonized cummerbund from mos, and a source tactical hydration pack and call it a day. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/495392/40A4CBCC-AFCB-41F6-B586-B66745173F35_jpe-1646237.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, that is the dc3rm micro. That sounds like a nice setup, the cqb rig doesn't have the pistol mag pouches, so it would be a bit sleeker. It would fit your carrier well IMO.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I use tubes and will echo a previous poster - they're very secure and can be doffed in an instant, but donning them quickly is tricky. They need to be aligned neatly or they won't slide/interface into a locked position. You don't need a minute to get them on, but if time is of the essence, understand that you'll need a few seconds to get them secured.

Whether that's a big deal or not is up to the end-user. For me, not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with the buckles just because I like them. I have zero experience LARPing and unless the shit totally hits the fan then it won't matter much. Tubes or the buckles, both are 1000 times better than not having either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've always felt Cobra buckle releases for plate carriers are bad design. Needing to release two buckles to get out of a carrier in an emergency plus the fact that any pull force exerted on a Cobra buckle will lock/prevent the buckles from unlocking is not ideal for serious use. Additionally, the metal buckles are sources for secondary frag.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I personally use the Blaze cummerbund with with cobra buckles. I switched out the standard velcro one just shy of two years ago. The buckles seemed to take a couple months to break in, but now they are smooth on and off without any issues on my chosen side (right). I ended up sewing the front flap of my carrier over the velcro portion to ensure it never comes undone. The side velcro flaps were folded backwards and sewn into their own pockets, allowing me full access to the molle webbing on the sides for attachment points for the buckles. This has been a hit on the department with everyone asking me how I did it.

TBH, I think it's a user preference matter. My partner liked my setup so much he went with the cobra buckles, whereas my old partner preferred the first spear tubes and went that route. So far I would say it's about 2 to 1 on the buckles to the tubes, with no issues from anyone on the watch.  IMO you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the SaberSolutions tubes on my JPC 2.0 and they are fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
What is everyone doing to secure the extra flap once the tubes are installed on the cumberbund side?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is everyone doing to secure the extra flap once the tubes are installed on the cumberbund side?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I personally use the Blaze cummerbund with with cobra buckles. I switched out the standard velcro one just shy of two years ago. The buckles seemed to take a couple months to break in, but now they are smooth on and off without any issues on my chosen side (right). I ended up sewing the front flap of my carrier over the velcro portion to ensure it never comes undone. The side velcro flaps were folded backwards and sewn into their own pockets, allowing me full access to the molle webbing on the sides for attachment points for the buckles. This has been a hit on the department with everyone asking me how I did it.

TBH, I think it's a user preference matter. My partner liked my setup so much he went with the cobra buckles, whereas my old partner preferred the first spear tubes and went that route. So far I would say it's about 2 to 1 on the buckles to the tubes, with no issues from anyone on the watch.  IMO you can't go wrong with either.

The bold section on this post seems to be a good secure way to do it
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Dang you guys. Ordered.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Tubes.

Buckles are a pain in the butt to release while under load. Tubes = pull the cord and rip it.

I have First Spear tubes on two rigs, and haven’t had the issue where you “have to line it up perfectly.”

Grab the female end, slip it over the edge of the male end, pull down (or up, whatever) done.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#24]
If anyone is interested I’m about to put two sets on the EE
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve been using the blaze plastic cobra buckles on a vest that gets worn almost everyday at work for at least three years and have no complaints. I have several coworkers that use them also with no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top