Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2021 10:29:26 PM EDT
I spoke with Robert at JRH today, and got a ton of help from him regarding my needs for my first NV device. Ultimately he helped me realize my needs are a PVS14; but that brings me to my next conundrum, how do I look through this thing?

I would like to go with a helmet mounted setup; however - I am unsure whether I should go with a Bump style setup, or with an actual armor solution. To compound this - I have a pretty big head (62cm/24.5"); so I need to find a bucket for my brainpan.

What are some suggestions? There's a nice Team Wendy setup; but I have heard less than nice things about them. What would you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
We have team wendy bump helmets and they're fine but if you can find them I'd go with Opscore or something with arc rails. They're kinda the standard and you'll have to get adapters for things like amp arms if you go TW.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Ops-core is the gold standard for helmets. They're stuff just works and is very universal for attachments. The down side to ops-core is the stock padding and generally people add the 4D pads which are awesome apparently.

Team Wendy makes nice helmets politics aside. The downfall i think everyone mentions is their proprietary mounting stuff or how you have to mount stuff isn't as good ops-core or as modular/universal. Even with negatives said from what i understand out the box the Team Wendy is more comfy out the box.

You could also go the Surplus route if you're on a budget.

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The new ops core ballistic helmets are awesome. Padding is as good as team wendy epic air, and they feel almost as light as a bump. Highly recommend.

That said, for a civ helmet I’d just get bump to save money. The team wendy is solid, I’d recommend the carbon with a shroud that isn’t moulded into the shell though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in your shoes a month ago. I bought cheap bump helmet off amazon along with cheap chinese copy mounts. Im surprisingly happy with all of it. I bought a Holosun laser for the rifle for $270. I dont know how much you want to invest in this hobby but it really is a bottomless pit.
You can buy the cheaper stuff and get out there and enjoy the night. You can upgrade in the future too. Loan out the cheaper stuff to a friend who buys their first NODS.

I went target shooting in the dark this last weekend for the first time in my life and it was quite fun. I still find it eerie being out alone in the dark. I know i see better than anything else out there but still weird feeling. When i was up shooting i heard a sound that sounded like something moving toward me. About 15min later i realized it was the snow landing on the suppressor boiling off instantly. I had an encounter with a bear this last spring to which i was ill prepared for and luckily we both went our separate ways. Maybe that is the reason for the unease. Could be normal too. Maybe i should make a new thread?

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Ops Core

Fuck TW.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't need ballistic protection you can always go airsoft or hockey helmet (military ProTech, $70 with rails, base, bungees, chin strap).

It doesn't have to be expensive to correctly mount your device:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I know some will poo poo this, but I've actually started really enjoying my HHV bump helmet. At first I didn't like it, but it's grown on me quite a bit. With the additional retention strap it's a pretty solid setup for not a lot of money.

The pads out of the box are very comfy and I found that I can wear the helmet all day without breaking a sweat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know some will poo poo this, but I've actually started really enjoying my HHV bump helmet. At first I didn't like it, but it's grown on me quite a bit. With the additional retention strap it's a pretty solid setup for not a lot of money.

The pads out of the box are very comfy and I found that I can wear the helmet all day without breaking a sweat.
View Quote

I've got a Ballistic HHV and love it. Pads *are* super comfy (for at least 8 hours, so far) and the two sets of different thicknesses, allow adjustment for perfect NOD placement. It's all end-user specific - exactly how much can you spend? Does it *have to be* US lab certified? Both of those will dictate your choice. OC and HHV have the L/XL for melons, MTEK has one size that you adjust with pads, Galvion has the most intricate sizing charts you could ask for - so you can really dial those in.  I don't know Jack about Team Wendy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are the units I've been looking at....

A14455-12H19H10
Gentex IIIA-MC

TEAM WENDY EXFIL CARBON BUMP HELMET WITH 3.0 RAIL SYSTEM: COYOTE SIZE 2
Carbon Bump

Budget is right around $700. Probably gonna need a 2X in any helmet.

ETA: Very excited to get my unit from JRH. Confirmed the order with Robert this morning. Got some impressive specs from him; hoping for a big thrill looking through this thing. Never had night vision before!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Politics aside TW is comfy and made in America.

Ballistic v bump - funny world we live in, funniest it has ever been. Bump helmets are generally lighter, cost a whole lot less, and may even lend themselves to other activities.

Rails on helmets - regardless of who makes them, any thing can be mounted to any of them. That said, less is probably more.

Sizing - if you're on the bubble get the bigger one and add pads as it increases the protection (non ballistic)

Mount - do your homework and buy a good mount.

A well fitting helmet and good mount means things don't wiggle and flop with each footfall.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ops Core

Fuck TW.
View Quote

This.  All day long.  This.   TW
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you don't need ballistic protection you can always go airsoft or hockey helmet (military ProTech, $70 with rails, base, bungees, chin strap).

It doesn't have to be expensive to correctly mount your device:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/protech_jpg-2172619.JPG

View Quote

I need one of these, what vendor?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If I were to let politics decide what companies I purchased from there would be a handful of parts in the entire industry that would meet those standards...lol

Opscores are tit, I enjoy my TW Carbon as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I were to let politics decide what companies I purchased from there would be a handful of parts in the entire industry that would meet those standards...lol

View Quote
OpsCore doesn't seem to make a helmet in my size without some sort of special order ($$$).

Spoke with Gentex on the phone - neither do they.

Any additional suggestions ARF?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pro Tec Helmets: Pro Tec Military Helmets
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer tw over opscore-simply more comfortable (and cheaper)

When it comes to bump, hhv makes a decent one for cheap.

Honestly it's hard to go wrong so get what color you like in the appropriate price range.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
In $300~ bump range you really only have to choices:

Ops-Core FAST Bump High Cut Helmet
+ Arc Rails
- default padding
- molded NVG shroud
- suspension system

Team Wendy EXFIL® LTP Bump
+ Wilcox aluminum insert in NVG shroud
+ default padding
+ suspension system: micro-adjustable BOA fit system
- side rails 2.0 or 3.0 are not as good as Ops-Core

In this price range I'd say go with Team Wendy and forget about politics and stupid shit like that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In $300~ bump range you really only have to choices:

Ops-Core FAST Bump High Cut Helmet
+ Arc Rails
- default padding
- molded NVG shroud
- suspension system

Team Wendy EXFIL® LTP Bump
+ Wilcox aluminum insert in NVG shroud
+ default padding
+ suspension system: micro-adjustable BOA fit system
- side rails 2.0 or 3.0 are not as good as Ops-Core

In this price range I'd say go with Team Wendy and forget about politics and stupid shit like that.
View Quote

Forgetting politics is how we got here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered this one and its comfortable. Stays on my head even without the chin strap. I bought an aluminum mount to replace the plastic one on the front but it works so well i have the aluminum one still sitting on my desk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OEJW5OW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

How we got where? Arguing over a helmet company hosting a presidential candidate at their facility while we debate how to mount the image intensifier made by a company that lied to and sent defective product to our troops for years, as we peck about it on devices made in China and Vietnam and Japan? At some point...you just buy the best tool for the job and stop virtue signalling, or buy second rate because of how you feel.

For me, I went TW Exfil LTP because BOA, and metal insert.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A14455-12H19H10
Gentex IIIA-MC

Carbon Bump

ETA: Very excited to get my unit from JRH. Confirmed the order with Robert this morning. Got some impressive specs from him; hoping for a big thrill looking through this thing. Never had night vision before!
View Quote

If you decide to go TW (I did, fuck the haters, it’s comfy, whatevs) go with the 2.0 rails instead of the 3.0

The 3.0 rails are only needed if you plan on running a mandible or face shield.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. 87% of the people saying “fuck TW” are running Surefire lights.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Respectfully,

It's not that I want to forget politics. It's that nobody makes a product that fits my ginormous punkin' head.

The Team Wendy is the only one that will fit.

I spoke at length with someone from Gentex today; and their representative was super nice. They recommended that I don't purchase one of their XL helmets; they run small and aren't big enough in the first place. In the TBH Series, Gentex doesn't make a 2XL.

The other option would be to go with Ops-Core (who is made by Gentex) - but they didn't make a 2XL in their FAST ST, according to this representative.  I would have to go to the FAST XP, which is a pretty big step up in price. If anyone has a line on a 2XL Fast XP close to my budget; I'd be all ears.

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 4:06:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pro Tec Helmets: Pro Tec Military Helmets
View Quote

Why does the description of these say that they AREN'T Pro-Tec models?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Respectfully,

It's not that I want to forget politics. It's that nobody makes a product that fits my ginormous punkin' head.

The Team Wendy is the only one that will fit.

I spoke at length with someone from Gentex today; and their representative was super nice. They recommended that I don't purchase one of their XL helmets; they run small and aren't big enough in the first place. In the TBH Series, Gentex doesn't make a 2XL.

The other option would be to go with Ops-Core (who is made by Gentex) - but they didn't make a 2XL in their FAST ST, according to this representative.  I would have to go to the FAST XP, which is a pretty big step up in price. If anyone has a line on a 2XL Fast XP close to my budget; I'd be all ears.

View Quote

You are in a hard spot for sure with you watermelon head.

You do what you got to do to get a usable solution.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How we got where? Arguing over a helmet company hosting a presidential candidate at their facility while we debate how to mount the image intensifier made by a company that lied to and sent defective product to our troops for years, as we peck about it on devices made in China and Vietnam and Japan? At some point...you just buy the best tool for the job and stop virtue signalling, or buy second rate because of how you feel.

For me, I went TW Exfil LTP because BOA, and metal insert.
View Quote

You are absolutely right. At some point you have to buy something because there is no other option. But if there is an option, I try to NOT buy something produced by communists.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you decide to go TW (I did, fuck the haters, it’s comfy, whatevs) go with the 2.0 rails instead of the 3.0

The 3.0 rails are only needed if you plan on running a mandible or face shield.
View Quote

This. The 2.0 offer more flexibility and if you want a pic rail there's 2 screws below the main rail on the 2.0 where you can install one. Can't remember if it comes with them or you have to buy separately.

Your big melon might serve you well in this case. I'm a 23.5 and I went with the bigger size and the front to back adjustment buckle sits right where my cheekweld is. You shouldn't have this problem.

If you go tw the aglite cover is superior to the tw one  and I believe cheaper as well. The aglite rear pouch looks kinda cheesy but works well for carrying large USB batteries for thermals or whatever. If you want aa and cr123 the tnvc Mohawk mk1 gen2 is the way to go. Has a pull out tray for batteries and 4 thin weights so you can fine tune your helmet balance.

For retention we use the wilcox jump lanyards. You can thread them through the vent holes front to back on either or both sides and they will fit under the aglite cover. Kind of expensive for what they are but they work well if you don't want to improvise something.

Lastly I'd consider the amp arms for hearing protection a must have. They change the balance rearward so you can run less counterweight and add stability so you don't have to crank your chin strap down as tight. They make an adapter now so they will fit the tw rails and there are adapters out to fit different ear muffs so you don't have to get the whole amp setup which is expensive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Lowdown3
View Quote

I bought my pvs14 from jrh and got my OPs core from armsunlimited and rhino II from venture surplus

its a basic bottom bitch setup

I need to start  accessorizing
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was in your shoes a month ago. I bought cheap bump helmet off amazon along with cheap chinese copy mounts. Im surprisingly happy with all of it. I bought a Holosun laser for the rifle for $270. I dont know how much you want to invest in this hobby but it really is a bottomless pit.
You can buy the cheaper stuff and get out there and enjoy the night. You can upgrade in the future too. Loan out the cheaper stuff to a friend who buys their first NODS.

I went target shooting in the dark this last weekend for the first time in my life and it was quite fun. I still find it eerie being out alone in the dark. I know i see better than anything else out there but still weird feeling. When i was up shooting i heard a sound that sounded like something moving toward me. About 15min later i realized it was the snow landing on the suppressor boiling off instantly. I had an encounter with a bear this last spring to which i was ill prepared for and luckily we both went our separate ways. Maybe that is the reason for the unease. Could be normal too. Maybe i should make a new thread?

View Quote

@HYDRASHOKMONTANA

Links to the helmet and mount you went with?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A14455-12H19H10
Gentex IIIA-MC

Carbon Bump

View Quote
1000% gentex. $600 for a bump helmet? thats 10X what you should be paying.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1000% gentex. $600 for a bump helmet? thats 10X what you should be paying.
View Quote
Can't. They literally don't make my size (as explained previously)
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]
We just got the regular polymer tw. They're plenty durable unless you're jumping out of helicopters and are 300$.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@HYDRASHOKMONTANA

Links to the helmet and mount you went with?
View Quote

Helmet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OEJW5OW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Mount:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z374R2R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Arm: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303468241888?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The mount required a little sanding internally on the button faces but now works perfectly and i love how positive it is. The arm did not lock in out of the box. The button is plastic i did not have to sand any aluminum. All were ordered because of shipping time frame. They were all i found that wasn't being shipped in from china and would take a month+ to get here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#37]
What do you guys think of Hard Head Veterans helmets? I have the bump version HHV and I'm actually pretty happy with it. Rhino II locks up tight and I like the Mlok on the side.

They are also much cheaper than the TW bump offerings.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I got my PVS14 Today.

Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Holyfuckingshit

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got my PVS14 Today.

Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Holyfuckingshit

Hahah!!! I’ve been saying that every weekend for the past year when I put them on. I ended up getting the XLSH WP BVND’s from JRH
It never get old looking through them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/IMG_2758_jpg-2187389.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/IMG_2759_jpg-2187394.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Congrats man!  Friggen magic night vision powers.  I remember my first PVS14.  :). The addiction will deepen.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What do you guys think of Hard Head Veterans helmets? I have the bump version HHV and I'm actually pretty happy with it. Rhino II locks up tight and I like the Mlok on the side.

They are also much cheaper than the TW bump offerings.
View Quote

I don’t know about the bumps but apparently the ballistic model doesn’t stop bullets.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Spend money on the helmet. I have changed so many things over the years but my team Wendy has stayed the same.  Any quality helmet that fits your head will be good to go.   I would go bump for weight but to each their own.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don’t know about the bumps but apparently the ballistic model doesn’t stop bullets.
View Quote

This has been discussed ad-nauseum. At the time, the only actual "shot with bullets" test - was InRange / P&S - and it did indeed stop bullets with acceptable back face.  The video was up, then it was made private, now I think its public again - go check it out (a search should also find the various threads). You could tell the P&S guy was pissed that it did the job, LOL. On the flip side, that was *that* lid; no NIJ = maybe Paper Mache' the next batch. There may be newer test vids, but I haven't seen any. Odds of a head shot with a bullet, in Iraq and A-stan, over 5 years, was a smidge under 5%, IIRC. As a NOD Hanger, anything works - even cloth "Caps"
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#46]
For those with TW, when you mounted ear pro to the helmet, did you find the side adjustment straps broke the ear seal or no? Seeing conflicting posts about that
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll offer my firsthand experience...

I initially went with an OpsCore FAST SF carbon in 499 Tan, Size L

What I liked:
+ Super comfortable right out of the gate from the chin strap to the pads, wearing it just felt GREAT!
+ No upward or side-to-side movement while using my PVS-14

What I didn't like:
+ Fit and finish; the placement of my shroud, the air vent holes, and the rails were all out-of-whack; things were not symmetrical; one rail was mounted 3/8" higher on one side vs. the other; things were not straight down the center line of the helmet and this bothered me greatly--especially knowing my NV was mounted slightly off-kilter; additionally the visor/front of helmet was cut wavy; it wasn't straight; ultimately I returned it to OpsCore for a refund
+ Worm dial and the folded straps; I ended up cutting off the excess strap piece because it dug into my head making it extremely annoying
+ The tan color sucks; it is a far cry from Coyote and begins to stick out like a sore thumb when you start trying to complement it with MultiCam Arid

I ended up buying the Team Wendy Exfil Carbon in Coyote, Size M/L

What I like:
+ Lower price point; I paid like $180 less when it was all said and done (discount code GARANDTHUMB at OpsCore's site and then later using a 10% off coupon code at Optics Planet for the TW)
+ IMO, the color, as well as the fit and finish are noticeably better
+ The lines of the helmet make for a better looking helmet
+ Bungee retention from the side rails is better than coming directly from the shroud itself (OpsCore)

What I don't like:
+ Not as comfortable initially as the OpsCore; the chin strap sucks in comparison
+ I have side-to-side movement with my NV deployed and if lightly shake my head back and forth; I didn't have this with the OpsCore

Would I go back to the OpsCore if everything was better aligned (i.e. symmetrical and straight)? Hell yes. Unfortunately, it didn't play out that way and I'm not going to chance it on another FAST SF Carbon given the price and the long lead time.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For those with TW, when you mounted ear pro to the helmet, did you find the side adjustment straps broke the ear seal or no? Seeing conflicting posts about that
View Quote

No. I use Unity Mark with Peltor tac6s and 3m gel cups. It fits great. I finally got my 4D pads arramged well, and this helmet is an ergonomic triumph.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top