Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2018 10:12:35 PM EDT
Good evening, I’ve been lurking the nv forum for approximately a year and have had the itch to get a decent set of nvg. My main task would be hiking at night etc, so although most prefer the pvs14 over the 7, I was open to buying either if the right deal came along. Fast forward to today and I came across a mint itt pvs7 gen 2. The unit looks nearly new and that it spent most of its life stored away. It came with the headpiece for a person to mount on their head and a magnifier, all for $550. Again, I’ve spent a lot of time reading about nv but the details can get confusing lol. I really wanted a gen 3 but for my needs, I think a gen 2 would suffice for now. I bought this on a whim so please tell me I at least got a decent deal. My next question is although it’s a gen 2 tube, since the rest of the unit is in such good condition could I put in a gen 3 image intensifier later on down the road? Sorry for the simple question but I have tried to absorb as much knowledge as possible in the past year but this deal came along and I bit without much thought.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say you did good. Buy a decent illuminator and get hiking. As a precaution start on flat terrain and stay away from ledges
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say you did good. Buy a decent illuminator and get hiking. As a precaution start on flat terrain and stay away from ledges
View Quote
Lol I’ll remember that tip! Fortunately the terrain is flat here in Ohio! Any suggestions for an Illuminator?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Assuming you got a real PVS-7, and not something like an ATN biocular, I’d say you did pretty well. It’s been a while since I looked at the prices on PVS-7 housings less tube, but I’d bet it’s usually over $550 even on the second hand market, plus the MX-10130 format tubes out there aren’t really useful for much else besides PVS-7s, so you can usually find a pretty good deal on fairly high spec tubes compared to the much more in-demand 11769 and 10160s.

~Augee
View Quote
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! For what it’s worth I hear you guys are the best when dealing with night vision. I may be slightly brainwashed by spending too much time on this site haha. I’m sure this gen 2 unit will be a stepping stone into gen 3 down the road and I will definitely look you guys up when I take that leap!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Great price for any sort of pvs 7. Most are gen3 for us built units.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol I’ll remember that tip! Fortunately the terrain is flat here in Ohio! Any suggestions for an Illuminator?
View Quote
Anything cheap from ebay should be fine. Not alot of differneces for short range. If you want to spend bucjs, surfire had some nixe IR models. Biut you can get something rhat will work fine for 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Zac87,

Where abouts in Ohio are you from? A buddy and I in Cincinnati do an occasional night NVG hike. Wondering if you'd be intrested?

Cinti-russ
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
We're not high tech either.

Cinti-russ
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Zac87,

Where abouts in Ohio are you from? A buddy and I in Cincinnati do an occasional night NVG hike. Wondering if you'd be intrested?

Cinti-russ
View Quote

Hey thanks for the offer, I would love to but unfortunately I am in northwest Ohio up near the Michigan border.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
For a hand held/weapons/helmet mountable very durable overseas IR only flashlight SolarForce host single or dual battery option and IR drop in for @ 35.00 you can buy direct from them shippings @ 5-7 days from HK.

For a hand held/weapons/helmet mountable proven name SureFire V1 50/250 lumen white light and IR built into 1 unit @ 149 on ebay. The TIR lens will  reach out past 200 yards. Lifetime warranty

Rail mount only StreamLight TLR-IR great combo of flood and throw, with a lifetime warranty @ 100-150

Rail mount only Inforce WML white/IR built in 1 unit, different lumen outputs depending on model and gen. IMHO buy a gen 2 since they are built stronger, but if you find a gen 1 under 70.00 Inforce does have a lifetime warranty also.

IMHO your better off served with a dual output light with both white and IR helmet mounted unit. If your using it for hiking a single cell SureFire V1 whit/IR with high and low outputs is hard to beat, but if your on a budget buy the SolarForce 1 battery body with body extender and the IR drop in, but I would strongly recommend having a flashlight in your pocket. Also a princeton low lumen tech light in white or white/blue combo for admin work is very useful @ 15-35. A used SureFire helmet light can be bought used for @ 25-35 with 2 different combos of white/ blue,green,red,IR, yellow.

As for a bump a PT Bravo bump seems to be a great choice for @ 50 or a OneTigris airsoft bump for @ 35. Your probably going to need a swing arm and mounting plate, so I'd highly recommend a new Norotos Rhino II for 35-55 on ebay. The legacy/original Rhino doesn't have the stability or adjustability the Rhino II have.

If you need a link for anything above pm or email me and I'll be happy to provide it to you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my nightcap... way better than skull crushers of various sorts.

But yeah, bump helmets will keep your noggin safe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Good evening guys just a couple more questions from this night vision rookie. I officially received unit today and it is in pristine condition. It came with the original olive drab hard case, soft carry case, 3x magnifier still in the original packaging. It’s a pvs7b and I took the image intensifier out and it said itt f9810. Any information on that? I tried it out in the basement and can’t wait to get outside! Now to narrow down which helmet/cap to get! The only other thing I believe i need is a mount too correct? Someone mentioned the rhino 2. Do I need a counterweight? Someone else mentioned an ir Illuminator. Anything else I’m missing before I heard out? I must say the image isnt bad at all for a gen 2, I didn’t see any blemishes in the image.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Any letters after the F9810? looks like you have a Gen3 tube. As for what else do you need besides a Rhino II and Illuminator I'd recommend either buying a retention lanyard or simply anchor your PVS7 to your helmet with paracord or shoelace. Also a piece of shock cord tied around your swing arm and ran under your PVS7 release arm will help from you disconnecting your NODs accidently.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any letters after the F9810? looks like you have a Gen3 tube. As for what else do you need besides a Rhino II and Illuminator I'd recommend either buying a retention lanyard or simply anchor your PVS7 to your helmet with paracord or shoelace. Also a piece of shock cord tied around your swing arm and ran under your PVS7 release arm will help from you disconnecting your NODs accidently.
View Quote
Wow the previous owner sold this unit under the impression it was a gen 2 unit. That excites me that it’s actually a gen 3! I’ll have to check for additional numbers on the tube here in a bit. This is the first time I’ve ever hated it being so light out for the duration of the day!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
9810 is a gen 3 tube. Any letters after 9810?

As for other stuff, counterweight IF you need it. Same for supplemental IR, thw built in IR works fine for nav.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
9810 is a gen 3 tube. Any letters after 9810?

As for other stuff, counterweight IF you need it. Same for supplemental IR, thw built in IR works fine for nav.
View Quote
Markings on the tube is ITT F9810C

Any information of this tube is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
So its a lower spec gen3 tube.

Min specs are near omni 3 specs, probably a fallout tube.

Res: 45 lp/mm (probably higher)
PCR: 1200
SNR:16
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info, I can live with that for now considering the gentleman sold it to me under the impression it was a gen 2 unit. I’d say I got my money’s worth at $550, especially because it looks like it’s never been used.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Does anybody have or know of a good resource to adjust these goggles? I’ve tried google and YouTube but there’s not much out there. I’d like to start walking with them on but I need to get them adjusted correctly. The image is pretty crisp but my vision keeps bouncing from one lens to the other which is throwing me off. Should they be adjusted to where I feel like I’m seeing one image if that makes sense?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Just push/pull the rear eyepieces. They adjust.

Manual
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So its a lower spec gen3 tube.

Min specs are near omni 3 specs, probably a fallout tube.

Res: 45 lp/mm (probably higher)
PCR: 1200
SNR:16
View Quote
I came across another tube - mx10130c/uv. For the right price would it be worthwhile picking it up? How does it compare to my current tube?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anybody have or know of a good resource to adjust these goggles? I’ve tried google and YouTube but there’s not much out there. I’d like to start walking with them on but I need to get them adjusted correctly. The image is pretty crisp but my vision keeps bouncing from one lens to the other which is throwing me off. Should they be adjusted to where I feel like I’m seeing one image if that makes sense?
View Quote
As noted the rear eye pieces should adjust left & right to accommodate your pupillary distance.  You can also adjust the focus for each rear eye piece as well a the focus on the front objective as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As noted the rear eye pieces should adjust left & right to accommodate your pupillary distance.  You can also adjust the focus for each rear eye piece as well a the focus on the front objective as well.
View Quote
Thanks for your response. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and for the life of me cannot get the eye pieces to adjust left and right. I guess looking at the goggles I don’t understand how. I’ve tried lightly twisting, pulling, pushing and nothing seems to budge. I understand and know how to focus them though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for your response. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and for the life of me cannot get the eye pieces to adjust left and right. I guess looking at the goggles I don’t understand how. I’ve tried lightly twisting, pulling, pushing and nothing seems to budge. I understand and know how to focus them though.
View Quote
Post a picture so we can see what we are dealing with
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m going to send you a pm
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I figured it out, these goggles are nearly new and I don’t think they’ve ever been adjusted since they were manufactured on the 90s. They were a little stiff but I got them working!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I came across another tube - mx10130c/uv. For the right price would it be worthwhile picking it up? How does it compare to my current tube?
View Quote
About the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top