Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2021 8:03:14 PM EDT
A few things I've realized of late....

I've GOT to slow down the son on the range with that trigger finger of his.  

I've never owned a non-semiauto center fire rifle.  Even my Fudd Gun is a Ruger 44 carbine.  

In addition, a friend gave me a reloading press, access to his die collection, and sufficient components to load plenty of ammo.

So I've been waffling around some ideas, from slightly redneck (shotgun w/ insert) to shopping the pawn shops now that deer season is over.  After spying a not too abused little Savage 223 at a  local more-pawn-than-gun place I did some research.... and found a new Savage 12FV in 223 at basspro for $455 OTD.

Email says it should be in the store and in my hands in 3 weeks or so :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Read title as you were getting your 1st semi-auto rimfire...
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My brothers and I grew up plinking with an M1 Garands and a Colt SP1, to slow us down, dad made us reload our own ammo.  Give that a try, if you can find components.

Edit: this was also in the 1970s, things were cheaper, but not much.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The savage will do fine. My axis is nice enough, so is my neighbor's. My brother has a 16 which is much nicer, you can just feel its a higher end rifle. Not that savage is known for top-shelf stuff, but they make plenty serviceable rifles.

Single shot tray?

Try more precision shooting with emphasis on low rate of fire?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m about to introduce my son into shooting.. and I’m thinking about buying a bolt action .22lr for the same reason..

Using smaller targets is not a bad idea though
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m about to introduce my son into shooting.. and I’m thinking about buying a bolt action .22lr for the same reason..

Using smaller targets is not a bad idea though
View Quote

Something like a Ruger Single Six works well in addition to the bolt action.
I’ve been there. My son in his youth could shoot for hours and I started him with a 22 after he learned to safely handle a BB gun. Different times though, .22 LR was $9.99 a brick. He still shoots when he has time but told me with the ammo situation now he’s more conservative.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Great plan.  Teach him to shoot small groups.  Breathing, cheek position, trigger discipline.  Eye position behind the scope. That will slow him down.  Many  Savage Model 12 bolt guns in .223 are MOA or sub MOA capable if the ammo is capable and the shooter does his thing.

Handloading and shooting only handloaded ammo is also a way to slow things down.   Good handloads can be well under MOA with proper components.  I have match component handloads that are sub 1/2 MOA.  There is a reloading section here with lots of tips for both beginners and experienced people.  Chances are good that even casually developed reloads, if you learn correctly, will be more accurate than most commercial bulk loads you are probably using for blasting.

For example, my M193 equivalent uses ordinary 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullets.  They are (or were) cheap and surprisingly good for the price.  Loaded in Federal LC cases over a conservative, safe load of just about any appropriate powder, they shoot about 1.1-1.2" groups at 100 yards.  Primers are getting scarce right now.  I hope you buddy has a lot.

Higher power magnification also slows rate of fire and optimizes group size.

Also, give thought to a target grade .22LR.  It's a great trainer for longer range centerfire precision shooting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I got a happy email.  Rifle in hands tonight or tomorrow.

Well versed in small targets and shooting slow.  But reaching to 200 yards (only place to shoot steel with a non-pistol at more than 25 yards) with rimfire makes it more like artillery practice.

I can afford a mag or two of 762x39 for blasting purposes.  Or my buddy with the tax stamp collection joins us and brings something rock-n-roll as well as plenty of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read title as you were getting your 1st semi-auto rimfire...
View Quote

#MeToo.

That said, my next gun will likely be a bolt action in either 17hmr or 17wsm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top