Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2022 9:48:52 PM EDT
I have several rifle cans and not a single pistol pickle so today I bought a R9, I intended to get a Obsidian 9 but here we are. So my intention is to put it on a M9A3 and leave it but I'd like to have options, I'm not sure if I'm looking for a piston or a booster or both.

Everything I can find YHM branded is OOS so are there other options or should I just leave it direct threaded to the M9? Granted there are mixed reviews as to whether it will need a booster or not and be reliable.

I was thinking this R9 may see double duty on a 300blk pistol as well but I need to sort through what my options are first, glad I've got 7 months or so to figure it out first.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It's unlikely your Beretta will run with a direct thread R9.

Any Bravo pattern booster should work in the R9.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's unlikely your Beretta will run with a direct thread R9.

Any Bravo pattern booster should work in the R9.
View Quote

Yeah I'm thinking it wont either, so about the booster do I need be looking at the spring, piston and booster separately or can they be bought together?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the YHM and SiCo “bravo” threaded boosters come with body/housing, spring, and piston retaining cap.  The piston is sold separate because that is unique to the thread pitch of your host’s muzzle.  I prefer the SiCo unit since it is also an “alpha” thread adapter.  The YHM piston cap isn’t “alpha” threaded, it’s some different thread.

ETA:  I see Ecco machine also has a bravo threaded booster with alpha threaded piston cap.  Those are also very nice for a semi permanent install (no spanner notches for removal):

https://www.eccomachine.net/product/booster-assemblies/

Bravo = 1.375” x 24 tpi = “hub” threading (omega-300, hybrid-46, Nomad, Resonator, Rex MG-series, etc.)
Alpha = 1.125” x 28 tpi = SiCo Octane, Omega-K, old Harvester-30, Obsidian tube threading.  

Griffin CamLok or EZ-lok pistons and muzzle adapters have some advantages over simple thread-on pistons but you pay for it in $, some length and weight.  But you gain unthreading resistance and with more muzzle adapters on various hosts with a large bore can you don’t need to change out pistons.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
@KalmanPhilter

I VERY much appreciate that. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont have personal experience with the beretta but just regurgitating what has been said before. Berettas don’t use a tilting barrel so you don’t have to have a booster. But if you have failures going from a fixed barrel adapter to a booster. Look at the snap on suppressor knights made and why it only fits the beretta, no tilting barrel and no booster.

The piston usually comes with a spring and as was mentioned is available separate because of different thread patterns. If I were you I’d just go ahead and pick up a 1/2-28 piston so you have it on hand and being it’s the most common thread pattern you’ll most likely be set for any future purchases.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
@samsgreen50

ETA: I just measured my SiCo Hybrid-46 booster and its depth forward of the flange is 1 5/8” which is longer than the 1.43” dimension YHM has on their website for R9 blast chamber depth. So it is likely too long for an R9.  The YHM booster threaded into my Hybrid just fine.  I hope you didn’t jump on a SiCo booster housing. The Ecco unit intrudes only 1.2” so it fits.

The R9 is heavy enough (over 8 ounces) that you will likely need a booster to cycle an M9.  You can always try it first with the included YHM direct thread mount if your pistol barrel is 1/2-28 threaded.

BTW, first post Sixtysixdeuce is Ecco machine.

The sure bet is the YHM booster housing and keeps their warranty beyond question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top