Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2020 4:14:12 PM EDT
After a year of mulling it over I'm still interested enough in the NVG game to warrant seriously considering a purchase. I've already decided I want to go bino instead of mono, but all things considered, this is purely for fun. The truth is I don't hunt often, and besides going to a couple training courses, an NVG purchase for me would be purely a toy/luxury. As such, I'm having some trouble deciding where my budget and desires should meet, and I was hoping the more experienced members could provide some input.

Background: I'm a .mil flyer, and have been using ANVIS-9 green phosphor tubes. We recently switched over to white phosphor tubes, and I have limited time under them. I love them, but I'm debating whether or not WP tubes are really necessary for me on the civ side given their price. Plus, I understand that ANVIS sets are auto gain, whereas manual gain is generally preferable for ground use. So my main questions are:

- Is manual vs auto gain that big of a difference for ground use?
- Is white phosphor really worth the extra money for someone who is used to ANVIS-9 green tubes and will only be using this for training/fun?

I'd like manual gain, but I can get manufacturer refurbed ANVIS-9 green phosphor tubes for ~$4.5k, and send them to TNVC to put them in RNVG housings for ~$1.3k more. As much as I'd like manual gain, the extra 2-3k to get into brand new manual gain binos (and even more for white phosphor) is where I'm starting to have trouble justifying the costs. I'm also keeping an eye on the EE (I don't mind buying used if it meets my specs/the price is right), but so far nothing quite fits the bill.

Long story short, ANVIS-9s are my baseline, and I'm wondering if manual gain/WP are worth the extra cost for a casual user. Ideally I'm trying to stay under $6k for a usable set of gen 3 binos, and I'm wondering if that's realistic/possible. Sorry if this was a bit all over the place; I'm new to night vision, there's a ton of info to get lost in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After a year of mulling it over I'm still interested enough in the NVG game to warrant seriously considering a purchase. I've already decided I want to go bino instead of mono, but all things considered, this is purely for fun. The truth is I don't hunt often, and besides going to a couple training courses, an NVG purchase for me would be purely a toy/luxury. As such, I'm having some trouble deciding where my budget and desires should meet, and I was hoping the more experienced members could provide some input.

Background: I'm a .mil flyer, and have been using ANVIS-9 green phosphor tubes. We recently switched over to white phosphor tubes, and I have limited time under them. I love them, but I'm debating whether or not WP tubes are really necessary for me on the civ side given their price. Plus, I understand that ANVIS sets are auto gain, whereas manual gain is generally preferable for ground use. So my main questions are:

- Is manual vs auto gain that big of a difference for ground use?
- Is white phosphor really worth the extra money for someone who is used to ANVIS-9 green tubes and will only be using this for training/fun?

I'd like manual gain, but I can get manufacturer refurbed ANVIS-9 green phosphor tubes for ~$4.5k, and send them to TNVC to put them in RNVG housings for ~$1.3k more. As much as I'd like manual gain, the extra 2-3k to get into brand new manual gain binos (and even more for white phosphor) is where I'm starting to have trouble justifying the costs. I'm also keeping an eye on the EE (I don't mind buying used if it meets my specs/the price is right), but so far nothing quite fits the bill.

Long story short, ANVIS-9s are my baseline, and I'm wondering if manual gain/WP are worth the extra cost for a casual user. Ideally I'm trying to stay under $6k for a usable set of gen 3 binos, and I'm wondering if that's realistic/possible. Sorry if this was a bit all over the place; I'm new to night vision, there's a ton of info to get lost in.
View Quote
I've had a NVD-BNVD-SG articulating goggle and I currently have an Anvis-9 with filmless WP and a Sentinel with thin filmed GP (similar to the RNVG). As you're describing your use & budget (kind of) and prior experience with Anvis-9, that's the cheapest option and I'd probably just run it as-is unless you break it, then upgrade to the RNVG Anvis.

ETA: My -9 was a refurbed from ASU-NVG with thin filmed GP. Worked great but I already had filmless converted to 10160 format so I swapped them in. I love the lightweight of the -9.

If you're not partial to Anvis objectives and want a true ground use goggle, skip the -9 and go straight to an RNVG with PVS-14 optics. You'll get a little bit more performance from the -14 glass versus Anvis and the RNVG is more rugged. Photonis Echo WP works fairly well and will save you some $. They lose out in very low light to Gen 3 so if that's important to you then go thin filmed GP or WP.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, if you go with the Anvis-9, there will hopefully be a new goggle coming to market soon that looks like it will be a perfect fit between the -9 and RNVG Anvis. The Artemis from TNVC. I'm excited for it and hope it shows up soon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Augee I'm sure will be in shortly, as he loves the ANVIS stuff.

Mind I ask what you fly and what do you see the main differences between the green vs. white while flying? Any SA differences that are readily apparent? We mostly hear the ground aspects of WPT vs. green, but not much from the Angels 10 or the NOE perspective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Augee I'm sure will be in shortly, as he loves the ANVIS stuff.

Mind I ask what you fly and what do you see the main differences between the green vs. white while flying? Any SA differences that are readily apparent? We mostly hear the ground aspects of WPT vs. green, but not much from the Angels 10 or the NOE perspective.
I'm on U-28s, so most time is spent up pretty high where gain issues aren't a huge factor. Main difference I notice is that the white phosphor appears more... natural, for lack of a better term. Some guys say its less strain on their eyes over time, which I also find to be true. But the biggest difference I notice is that for me at least, picking out contrast in the negative areas (shadows, etc) seems a lot easier than it was with the green. I'm not exactly sure why, but if I had to wager a guess, it's probably because the contrast between the light and dark in white is more obvious than in green, because green is a darker color. Additionally, on low illum nights (almost no moon), the white definitely seems to be brighter. Some guys claim they can get a sharper resolution with the whites, but I think that's more of a placebo effect with them being the new hotness, if we're being honest.

Quoted:
I've had a NVD-BNVD-SG articulating goggle and I currently have an Anvis-9 with filmless WP and a Sentinel with thin filmed GP (similar to the RNVG). As you're describing your use & budget (kind of) and prior experience with Anvis-9, that's the cheapest option and I'd probably just run it as-is unless you break it, then upgrade to the RNVG Anvis.
Were either of those auto gain vs manual? If so, do you notice a major disadvantage on the ground with the auto gain?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, if you can afford to do so, I would absolutely recommend WP, though your budget doesn’t allow a super lot of wiggle room.

For $4,500 a set of green ANVIS to start is probably not bad at all, though, and as you pointed out, they can be converted to RNVGs along with some other housing options in the future if you decide to.

Meanwhile, re: manual gain versus automatic gain only in terms of dual tube googles, this came up a couple days ago, so I’m going to more or less re-post what I wrote last time, but the short version is:

While manual gain ...
View Quote
As much as I'd like to go all out WP, manual gain with the DTNVG and articulating sides, I think the more responsible option would be something cheaper considering I don't plan on kicking down doors with these and for any mil applications, I'll be issued what I'm issued regardless.

This was a really great writeup; I really appreciate you taking the time! Gives me a lot to think about and digest. I was hesitant to jump on the 9s because I didn't want to just buy something subpar because the price seemed right (even though I'm familiar with them), and it's good to hear that I'm not totally off the mark.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Were either of those auto gain vs manual? If so, do you notice a major disadvantage on the ground with the auto gain?
View Quote
The BNVD-SG was single gain control and the -9 and Sentinel are auto-gain. There aren't many binos with gain control and the BNVD-SG might be out of your range. It also articulated whereas as you know the -9 doesn't and either does the Sentinel. I like articulating goggles a lot but for my personal use I chose to to lose that feature to gain the ball detent interface on/off power feature. I miss the BNVD but I don't regret doing so at all. Keep in mind the majority of users it seems hate the ball detent interface so take that for what you will.

Gain control is nice to have and if I can have it I'll take but truthfully after using both types it's not a necessary feature IMO. Especially if you go with higher spec tubes. Lower spec tubes can produce more noise in dark conditions and turning down the gain I've found helps to make a better image. Or use a good illuminator and it cleans it right up. Going with a gain control goggle means you have to use 11769 tubes which means if you decide to switch housings later on you have less options. Most binos are auto-gain and use 10160 tubes, so going auto-gain you have more options later down the road.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Manual gain is great for calming the image down so it creates less fatigue on your eyes and can quickly be changed by rolling the gain knob similar to the AimPoint Comp series RDS.
Auto gain is better suited for dynamic situations where you don't have to worry about adjusting the gain in a fast pace environment.

WP vs GP comes down to what you prefer. While L3 and Harris/Elbit tubes are closer to white vs the Photonis WP tubes which have a blue hue to them and give me eye strain that leads eventually to a head ache. IMHO GP are the better deal since WP is the new flavor of the month since a lot of SOF are requesting them, so they're commanding a premium price vs GP. IMHO I'd rather spend the extra money getting a higher grade tube vs a color palate change.

As for buying a refurbished set of Anvis 9 then having them converted you may want to search around for a deal on a factory built unit with a warranty. For the money these are the best I've found with HP+ tubes that will give you excellent performance in extreme low lighting, are a little more than what you'll pay with what you listed and the ability to articulate up to turn of  a single pod that is raised or both if they are articulated or stowed in the up right position. Check around as I have and see other companies charging thousands more for the same unit with the same specs. $6899 is an AWESOME deal.
https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-Single-Gain-3rd-Gen-Pinnacle-HP-Night-Vision-Bino-BNVDsgHP.htm
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be brief.

IMO, white phosphor: YES! Although you having used both are really in a better spot to make that judgement for yourself.  I have VERY limited time behind green, and found white to be much, much better.  Worth the price of admission for me.

Manual gain - I got this, and almost never adjust it.  If I did it all over again knowing what I know now, I'd skip it to save the $500 and a few grams of weight.  Other than just farting around, the one thing I've found it useful for is dialing down the other tube to match when I've got the Tarsier focus ring closed on the other (they're fking $200, I only bought one).  Beyond that, the auto-gating (someone smarter will have to tell me if there's a difference between that and auto-gain) works just fine to tone down "over-bright" images.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I own a manual gain MOD3. I wanted the manual gain function in case I ever split them, they would function exactly like a -14 so you could dial down the intensity. I don't really think there's a lot of those floating around out there, and it was more or less so I could test them out, since I owned every other flavor of MOD3 when they came out.

Aside from that, all of my other dual housings are auto, and I wouldn't really want it any other way. There are times that I will grab the MOD3 and turn the gain down for stargazing though, but it really isnt that big of a deal and I would not consider it the primary use of that set. lol. The manual gain adds more weight, so if you don't need it, I would just skip it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a technical forum..not GD <<Striker>>
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
And this is why the FB groups are booming and this tech forum is getting stale. You all realize the other vendors are killing it on social media, without most of this drama, right?  :-(
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And this is why the FB groups are booming and this tech forum is getting stale. You all realize the other vendors are killing it on social media, without most of this drama, right?  :-(
View Quote
That’s exactly correct. Some guys just can’t be talked down from the ledge
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am not well versed in the world of Facebook. What are these groups? Are they kind of like forums? Finding good info and or deals on night vision is becoming more difficult these days.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#21]
This is a technical forum..not GD &lt;&lt;Striker&gt;&gt;
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:00:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I teach a lot of NV and go to a lot of NV classes from other instructors and come into contact with a few hundred students a year. Other than dept issued units with PVS-15/31’s I can count on one hand the manual gain units I see at classes that are not PVS-14’s.

The shear numbers of dual tube auto gain systems from Sentinels/RNVG’s/MOD3’s/DTNVG’s/ANVIS pretty much speak for themselves.
View Quote
Exactly this ^^^^ For pure Dynamic use auto/no gain is superior. NVD BNVDs also come in auto/no gain "Hey mom look no link"  Just trying to make light of the situation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I teach a lot of NV and go to a lot of NV classes from other instructors and come into contact with a few hundred students a year. Other than dept issued units with PVS-15/31’s I can count on one hand the manual gain units I see at classes that are not PVS-14’s.

The shear numbers of dual tube auto gain systems from Sentinels/RNVG’s/MOD3’s/DTNVG’s/ANVIS pretty much speak for themselves.
View Quote
Are PVS-15's manual gain? I always thought they were auto gain.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a technical forum..not GD &lt;&lt;Striker&gt;&gt;
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Yay, more NV forum drama...
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yay, more NV forum drama...
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a technical forum not GD. <<Striker>>
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Welcome & Hope you stick around.. bet you have a pile of knowledge

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#32]
this is a technical forum not GD. <<Striker>>
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#33]
this is a technical forum not GD. <<Striker>>
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#34]
who is striker?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#35]
So, yeah. I think 6K is reasonable for a set of RNVG's. You might not be getting filmless tubes, but I think you'll certainly get something great and usable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top