Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2021 8:15:15 PM EDT
I practiced on blank paper and it seems pretty easy.  But is it easy to get ones that are "good enough" for the FBI & ATF?  

My first thumb print is a little blotchy and one ring finger didn't get much of the tip area.

So...how do I decide if these are good enough for my SBR eForm?  Needs to go into the mail tomorrow Monday.  I could not get a local PD appointment until 4/28.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested too.  Did mine a few weeks back.  Read a bubba's site instruction that said not to get too hung up on it and make sure they're legible.  I did end up having to note one finger for a partial print do to a skin malady from an allergic reaction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Similar to the photo, they don't need to be Louvre-worthy. Just "legible" in plain English.

If it looks completely unusable it probably is, but I usually give it a quick eye test and if it's not an obviously poor print, it's been good to go.

I've done F1s through livescan, printing at a local police precinct, and by myself. Never had an issue. At the end of the day they have your social, so if they really want to/need to figure out who you are, they can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine were not perfect and no issues for three Form 1s.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The card has to have the name of the person doing the fingerprinting.  I'm not sure if it has to be a government employee of some sort.  I do know that if the prints aren't clear enough, they will reject them and have you send in new ones.  It will definitely delay your application while they are waiting on new prints.  It's probably best to get them done by someone such as the folks at the police department or sheriff's office that do them all the time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
It took me a bit of practice to get mine legible, but AFT accepted them and my transfer went with no problems.

You should be able to discern the individual lines, swirls, and detail.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine weren't bad, aside from a couple that were smudges. I was a little apprehensive sending them in, but didn't have an issue getting approved.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
You can sign your own cards if you are the one doing the prints. Three approvals so far this way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I practiced on blank paper and it seems pretty easy.  But is it easy to get ones that are "good enough" for the FBI & ATF?  

My first thumb print is a little blotchy and one ring finger didn't get much of the tip area.

So...how do I decide if these are good enough for my SBR eForm?  Needs to go into the mail tomorrow Monday.  I could not get a local PD appointment until 4/28.

Rob
View Quote

Last time I checked, they were not running the prints, just a NICS check. So as long as they are not obviously smudged....
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can sign your own cards if you are the one doing the prints. Three approvals so far this way.
View Quote

I've never signed that part of the card, just left it blank.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
On the first card I did, this is probably the worst:

rob
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On the first card I did, this is probably the worst:

https://www.teddydog.org/guns/sbr/thumb.jpg

rob
View Quote

Looks better than some on the cards I just sent in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks better than some on the cards I just sent in.
View Quote

Agreed. Some of mine are terrible.

I made digital copies now, so I'm printing off a scanned version of my terrible prints and am printing them (making them even worse). Still never been denied.

I've never, ever heard of a person getting denied for bad prints.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome!  I'm going to do the second card now.

I need to also drop my CLEO notification into the mail.  They don't get a copy of the Responsible Person form as far as I can tell.  Correct?

EDIT:  Pretty sure that's wrong.  ATF didn't include a copy for CLEO in my Forms PDF, though.  I need to get it from the copy I uploaded to them, though, and send it along with the CLEO copy of the Form itself.  Is THAT right?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
What ink pads are you guys using?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

ExcelMark
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I just recently got approved (26 days) on Eform and rolled my own prints. I just made sure that the prints didn't look smudged and they approved me. Did a few practice runs before I did my official ones.

Wayde
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sirchie Printmatic pad. When I got it they were $3.50 on the auction site, buy now. Alas they've gone up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The first time I did it I spent about 1/2 an hour on each card trying to make it perfect. The last time I did it I went as fast as I could and knocked it out in about 5 minutes. Both went through just fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
That's great to hear!  My cards go into the mail this morning.

Regarding timelines...is the 30 - 40 days that I'm seeing from submission date, or from receipt of prints?  Do they start working on the submission at all before getting the prints in?

rob
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Consider scanning your prints and printing them off on cardstock. Take 8-10 prints of each finger, circle the best one and scan it in and insert it into a scanned image of the FD258. I got tired of trying to find a PD who would do prints with Covid b.s. going on.

Done several transfers this way and have not had any issues. Just make sure you use the highest resolution your scanner/prints has.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Consider scanning your prints and printing them off on cardstock. Take 8-10 prints of each finger, circle the best one and scan it in and insert it into a scanned image of the FD258. I got tired of trying to find a PD who would do prints with Covid b.s. going on.

Done several transfers this way and have not had any issues. Just make sure you use the highest resolution your scanner/prints has.
View Quote

What equipment did you use?  Did the prints print out on the actual FD258 or did you just print scanned prints on a scanned FD258 on a sheet of regular printer paper?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What equipment did you use?  Did the prints print out on the actual FD258 or did you just print scanned prints on a scanned FD258 on a sheet of regular printer paper?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've scanned and printed mine on actual FD258 forms successfully. I use an older HP laser printer that has a straight path from the manual feed tray to an exit tray that opens in the back.

I started with the process documented in this post and this other post in the 41F sticky thread.

First, I printed myself on a card, scanned it into my computer, opened the file in a graphics program (GraphicConverter on a Mac) and deleted everything that wasn't fingerprints and saved the file. I then opened the FD258 linked here in my graphics program, entered all of my text on a separate layer, pasted the prints from the first file onto the same layer, made sure everything was lined up correctly and deleted the layer of the card image, leaving just my information and prints and saved that file as my template. To double check, I cut a piece of paper the same size of the card (8"x8" IIRC), printed on my printer, held them up to a bright light to verify that everything lines up correctly on an actual form, then printed and signed.

Kind of PITA, but once it was done, it's very easy to make new cards. Less messy, too.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I probably did it the hard way. Scanned the 258 and and saved as a PDF. Used "Snipping Tool" and saved the print I wanted, then inserted it into whatever block the print belonged to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's great to hear!  My cards go into the mail this morning.

Regarding timelines...is the 30 - 40 days that I'm seeing from submission date, or from receipt of prints?  Do they start working on the submission at all before getting the prints in?

rob
View Quote
*Usually* it tends to be a month +/- from submission, but since prints usually show up a few days afterwards I think any difference in timeline is just statistical noise.

What tends to really screw up the timeline is the dreaded "pending research", which I believe shows up in lieu of the emailed cover letter + CLEO copy upon submission. That can lead people down a huge rabbit hole but seems rare if you're filing a lower from a known mfg (IE one in the website database that auto-populates and is validated prior to submission).
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine were garbage, I just trusted the YouTube video from silencershop I think where he says "just do it, don't overthink it, slap it on there and send it in, it'll be fine"

Worked perfectly fine. But they probably had over 30 sets
before I did my own.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I rolled my own this time. Lot easier than trying to go somewhere and get it done. I know my local sheriff would only do on certain days during certain hours.

Now if the damn USPS would deliver my prints to the AFT. Sitting in limbo at Falling Waters WV facility.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I rolled my own this time. Lot easier than trying to go somewhere and get it done. I know my local sheriff would only do on certain days during certain hours.

Now if the damn USPS would deliver my prints to the AFT. Sitting in limbo at Falling Waters WV facility.
View Quote
In a real galaxy brain move, I threw out the receipt with tracking for my most recent EF1 prints. So, I'm just crossing my fingers that USPS didn't totally blow it
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that I don't have a time crunch getting cards in the mail, I think I will work to get a really good set and scan them.  Not certain my old LJ 4000 can print at high enough resolution, though.

How long does it typically take ATF to update a Submitted application to indicate receipt of the fingerprints?  Or do they even?  Will my next indicator be Approved or Denied?

rob
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They don’t. Only thing you’ll know is tracking info. Approval or Disapproval is the next step.
View Quote

They will verify that your prints have been received if you call but will not give you any more information than "application was received on x/x/x" and "prints were received on x/x/x". They will also tell you it's pending...

I'm still waiting on my 12/9/20 form 1. I've done a dozen of them and they have never taken more than 40 days, but for some reason they decided to be assholes to me. Can't get any more information than "its pending" and the "ask the experts" is a joke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top