Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2022 10:55:26 AM EDT
I am stoked. I finally pulled the trigger on my first thermal. I have an AGM 640 StingIR on the way. (Couldn’t make it to 6K+ Tax and shipping for an RH25 Gunny).

Couldn’t find much on it internet wise but got some feedback from elsewhere. I Like that it uses an 18650 and comes with a helmet mount. Also interested to see how well it does in the clip-on and stand alone sight role. I bought it primarily for a helmet mounted and hand held monocular.

I will post up pics and such when I get it. Now we wait….
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested to hear about it.  I only stumbled into the existence of the StingIR last week and thought it looked very interesting for the pricepoint.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats. That looks very promising as a HMT.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
@1AEGW

Thanks for taking a chance with this one, definitely not much info out there about the StingIrs.

Any ETA for delivery?

Looking forward to some real feedback on this thermal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Got delivered today and is sitting in my house right now! Just need to get done with work. I’ll play with it tonight then take it on my morning ruck and see how many bunnies and foxes I can spot.

I got it from Eurooptic since JRH and TNVC don’t stock AGM. I get a lot of stuff from them, they don’t mess around with getting stuff out the door.

It was the last one in stock. They had one MH25 in stock as well. The deciding factor was the additional capabilities and 18650 battery. I don’t really care about onboard recording.

I have a PVS-14 that I got from JRH and now this. I kind of want to grab a dedicated Clip-on next, just not sure if I want to go thermal or NV for it. I plan on getting some training and also am going to try and do an NV run n gun in November.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I am very happy with my purchase.

This thing is amazing and the picture is crisp. I had it outside in default mode not outside mode and it was amazing. It is 95 and 70% humidity here today. I tried taking pictures of the display but they don’t even come close so I’m not going to post them. The really cool thing was how it picks up my dogs footprints. Here are some pics of the unit and case:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
can you show what that 2 bolt mount with the ring clamp is about? Is that their clip on option?

Can you show the mounting lug on the optic body with something by it for scale?
I haven't been able to get an answer on if any of the available common dovetail options can be used to helmet mount it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
There two clip on options, the clamp to attach directly to a scope bell housing and a Picatinny mount to mount directly to either the Handguard as a clip on or the receiver as a sight.

The helmet mount dovetail fit my Norotos INVG. It was a little tight but snapped in.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
So it can do it all? HMT, Clip-on, and dedicated?

But you said it cannot record, can it take still photos?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Man checks all the boxes. What’s the price? Looked it up. $2795.00

Haven’t seen this model.

So it’s weapon mountable? The agm
Site only speaks of handheld and helmet mounted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You need an external DVR to record. It comes with the cable for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
man I hope that will fit a MUM adapter and Kclip or the Iray can be modified to attach

I'm not crazy about the brass inserts for any WMT but time will tell.

Bering gets away with a subjectively less desirable option and has a relatively decent track record with holding up so hopefully this will do as well or better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man checks all the boxes. What’s the price? Looked it up. $2795.00

Haven’t seen this model.

So it’s weapon mountable? The agm
Site only speaks of handheld and helmet mounted.
View Quote

This is the 640 model. $2795 is for the 384 model. Retail for this one is $4195.

Yes it is weapon mountable. It has a mode for displaying a crosshair.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
man I hope that will fit a MUM adapter and Kclip or the Iray can be modified to attach

I'm not crazy about the brass inserts for any WMT but time will tell.

Bering gets away with a subjectively less desirable option and has a relatively decent track record with holding up so hopefully this will do as well or better.
View Quote

Mod Armory has a bridge in the works for this and a 14 per their website.

I'm not going to weapon mount it, I'd prefer a more dedicated clip on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the 640 model. $2795 is for the 384 model. Retail for this one is $4195.

Yes it is weapon mountable. It has a mode for displaying a crosshair.
View Quote

So the 640 is the only weapon mountable version?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So the 640 is the only weapon mountable version?
View Quote

The only difference between the 384 and 640 is the resolution so I would assume they have the same features otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Caliber rating?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#17]
The manual doesn’t cover it being used as a clip on or sight. I’m guessing this is a newer feature. I reached out to AGM support for more information.

I’m officially the weird neighbor wandering around looking through this at everything!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#18]
The AGM site states the video output is in PAL format. I'm guessing they copied a European spec sheet and have not updated it.

Also, do you know the sensitivity? <50mK?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only difference between the 384 and 640 is the resolution so I would assume they have the same features otherwise.
View Quote

Oddly enough, the AGM spec sheet shows different operating temp ranges for the 384 and 640. Not sure why the 640 would have a wider operating range though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I a stoked. I finally pulled the trigger on my first thermal. I have an AGM 640 StingIR on the way. (Couldn’t make it to 6K+ Tax and shipping for an RH25 Gunny).
Couldn’t find much on it internet wise but got some feedback from elsewhere. I Like that it uses an 18650 and comes with a helmet mount. Also interested to see how well it does in the clip-on and stand alone sight role. I bought it primarily for a helmet mounted and hand held monocular.
I will post up pics and such when I get it. Now we wait….
View Quote
This is great news my man! Look forward to seeing pics thru it and getting your POV.
Hell, you're welcome to come try this RH out with the Bridges. Perhaps you'd have better luck than me!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The manual doesn’t cover it being used as a clip on or sight. I’m guessing this is a newer feature. I reached out to AGM support for more information.

I’m officially the weird neighbor wandering around looking through this at everything!
View Quote

That’s why I asked about the cheaper version as it says nothing about clip on use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a pretty quick reply from AGM support which is a nice thing as well.

They stated it is rated up to 5.56. So fairly light duty or maybe they are trying to avoid blown pixels.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Any update on bridging this with your 14?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top