Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2020 7:00:14 PM EDT
I'd like to slowly get into reloading, and I want to start off with a single stage press. I'm looking at the RCBS rock chucker or the rebel. I know the rebel is fairly new. Are the older rcbs presses any better than the newer ones? What would you guys recommend for a single stage?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the rockchucker years ago. It was really fun and satisfying  working a load up for

My Win model 70 .243. I went with Nosler .55 grain ballistic tips. (can't remember

the powder) It tore some ground hogs up for sure. Shot two in a row at 350 yds. Enjoy your new hobby.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I still use my Rock Chucker all the time.

I don’t regret starting on a single stage.
I do regret not using my Dillon 650 sooner.

No experience with the Rebel.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I started on a Dillion 550.  I wouldn’t honestly advise it. You can mess up an awful lot of stuff before you know what your doing.

I think over ten years later I’ve still got ammo that needs to be pulled apart.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't go wrong with a Rockchucker, mine is 30 years old and still perfect. I think the Rebel is the aluminum version.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Rebel is cast iron, larger working opening, and heavier. They also got rid of the on press priming.

I have a rock chucker. If I was buying a new single stage it would be the rebel
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have and RCBS Summit single stage press that I am fond of...  I added a Hornady LNL conversion kit so that now die changes are fast and easy and dies don't need adjusting every time they are screwed into the press...
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The single stage RCBS press that you inquire about is a good start .   The main thing that a single stage teaches you is the fundamentals .   Setting up the dies etc etc .  And gives you time to examine what you are turning out .

The one that I have is used mainly for heavy duty case re-sizing .  But it still sees service for other tasks .

The Dillon 550 on the bench is for turning out finished product faster .  And it does a good job of that .

Actually the 550B is a fairly simple machine and not that difficult to master .

This is not the best time to get started in reloading as every thing seems to be in short supply .

Good  Luck.

gd
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I started with a Rock Chucker, still have it, it's a dedicated now for sizing rifle brass.
Then I added a 550B to the mix.
Later on a coworker made me an offer on a 650 that was too good to pass up so added a 650 to my reloading setup

Get a Case Kicker for the Rock Chucker, RCBS doesn't make one any more but some aftermarket suppliers are out there.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Learned to reload on my dad's RCBS single stage as a kid & I'm using an RCBS single stage 40+ years later.  I think Hornady has a good single stage press from what I've seen & heard.  If I was starting out I'd go with either RCBS or Hornady.  Not saying there aren't other good single stages out there.  I know RCBS was great to work with their CS.  My old case trimmer that I got in the kit I bought back in the mid 90's had some parts that needed replaced & the one they had on their site was different so didn't know the part numbers or if I could get them.  I was kind of hoping they wouldn't be available so I could use it as an excuse to get a new one, but when I called them up, they sent me the parts overnight express, FREE!  I've used it a few more years since & it still works, but I'm tired of trimming each one by hand so I ordered a power trimmer a few weeks back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a RCBS rockchucker.

I did the Hornady conversion bushing to it.

I use a LNL as my progressive.

For my scenario I love the Chucker but if I were to do it again it would be the Hornady as it is already set up for the bushings.

That said I agree with either the RCBS or the Hornady single stages.

Both offer nice kits for starting out that have quality tools you will use forever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
You know what? Hard disagree on starting with a single stage. Lee Classic Cast Turret is much more useful for a lot longer, IMHO, especially since you can use the reverse ejector mod to really speed up bulk production. If you want to operate in single stage mode, it's easy enough, too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still using my Rockchucker I bought used in 1984.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Which first press is right for you depends on what you will be doing:

If I was going to reload 223/5.56 and pistol rounds, then I agree with the post above suggesting a Lee Classic Cast press.  You can run single stage, manually advance, or let the press auto advance for you.

If I intended to reload military 7.62 brass or reload lots of other large rifle rounds, then I would get a Rockchucker or Rebel single stage.  By all means, buy an aftermarket case ejector and tray to catch ejected brass or rounds.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll buck the trend and recommend a Forster Co-Ax press.

I like that you don't need separate shell holders for various cartridges, I like that the dies slip in and out lickety-split.

That said, I've loaded a bunch on a Rockchucker, it is a solid choice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Take a good look at the Redding T7. Very versatile press.

Nothing wrong with starting with a 550. Just use it for one function at a time until you learn.

No matter which press you buy, a reloading mentor is a great resource. Let an experienced reloader show you how to set dies and walk you through the steps of reloading.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still using my Rockchucker I bought used in 1984.
View Quote

Same!

Except I am 10 years behind you.

Got my Rock Chucker as a kit back in 1994.

I still have it.

If I ever get back to casting boolits, it will come in handy with the Lee push through sizers.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I started on an RL-550b 26 years, before I got my first computer in '97 and I've been fine.

Almost 26 years later, I have no desire to upgrade to anything except a Lee Classic Cast O-Frame.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Ultimate Reloader did a test of MANY single stage presses and the RC Supreme was the best for $$ vs. concentricity, runout, etc.  It beat out all the Co-Ax design presses and was neck and neck with the $950 Präzipress.  In fact, it loaded more accurate ammo (measuring bullet and case runout) than all the others except the RCBS Summit.

I've had my RockChucker for about 30 years but if I were starting now it would be the RC Supreme or the Rebel.  I like the flat huge work area on the Rebel.

Lack of on-press priming is no big deal if you go with the Rebel.  When I went to the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools I took it off my RC and never looked back.

Unfortunately the Rebel wasn't in UR's test.  Looking forward to Gavin testing it with the same tools as the others.

I have my old RC from the early-mid 90's and I also use a Lyman T-Mag from approx the same era.  The T-Mag loads my ammo that doesn't need absolute accuracy like 45-70, etc.  It also holds my universal decappers and various other single function dies.  I've loaded 223 on it and it creates accurate enough ammo.  Never did a direct compare to the RC however.  It's more of a convenience press for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What would you guys recommend for a single stage?

View Quote

Rock Chucker or Lee Classic Cast
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top