Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2018 4:05:14 PM EDT
After being delivered a day late, I finally have my hands on my first M1 Garand. I went with a field grade. What I received is a Springfield Armory S/N 810779 which, I think, puts it in the early September 1942 range. The throat and muzzle readings are listed as "2". I won't complain about that. The only other number I found was D28287-12SA  B3 on the bolt, but I couldn't get a picture of it with my phone.

Is this the hackberry stock everyone talks about? It doesn't look anywhere near dinged up enough to be original.

Here are a couple of crappy phone pics. I can't really get any close-up details.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit: I'm guessing the LMR 8-53 on the tag means it was rebarreled in 1953?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After being delivered a day late, I finally have my hands on my first M1 Garand. I went with a field grade. What I received is a Springfield Armory S/N 810779 which, I think, puts it in the early September 1942 range. The throat and muzzle readings are listed as "2". I won't complain about that. The only other number I found was D28287-12SA  B3, but I couldn't get a picture of it with my phone.

Is this the hackberry stock everyone talks about? It doesn't look anywhere near dinged up enough to be original.

Here are a couple of crappy phone pics. I can't really get any close-up details.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/431721/M1_Garand_SN_810779-545891.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/431721/CMP_M1_Garand_Tag_Sm-545895.JPG
View Quote
That looks like hackberry. Open the butt trap door, if no holes its hackberry. You got lucky on your muzzle and throat readings, mine are 3 + .
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking since there was no hole under the trap door. I'll replace the stock soon and consider myself happy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
You did pretty good. Its rare to get a field grade with 2 and 2 readings. The tag note means the gun has an 8-53 (august 1953) barrel installed on it. LMR barrels are usually very good barrels. LMR Made most of the barrels used by IHC and furnished some to HRA and for general replacement use in depot rebuilding.  That sure looks like a Hackberry stock. You can live with it, order a CMP marked walnut set and replace it, buy a decent used USGI one from the sellers on the CMP webboard or request a ticket to send it to the CMP custom shop to have a new walnut stock fitted to the rifle.

Enjoy that rifle. Here is a good deal on some good PPU 30-06 loaded correctly for the M1 Garand. Do NOT NOT NOT shoot modern high powered 30-06 hunting rounds in the Garand. The operating system was never meant to routinely take those pressures and eventually you will damage something, likely the op rod if you do. Also, buy some spare clips and keep some loaded up and stored in a bandolier.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06-ammo/500-round-can-30-06-springfield-fmj-150-grain-prvi-partizan-m1-garand-ammo-pp3006

New 30-06 for the M1 Garand

Edited to add: You might want to look at stocks at Dupage Trading as well.

Dupage Trading
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
That rifle could have been graded a Service Grade, you never know how they will be graded.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info and links. I definitely need some ammo. I've already bought extra clips, a bandolier, sling, and M5 bayonet. This stock will do for awhile, but I know I'll want to upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats OP. Looks like you got a very nice FG rifle. On the ammo issue, you might want to investigate the options out there for changing the gas cylinder pressures which can be problematic when shooting modern performance ammo. For example, here’s a ported gas plug from Garand Gear that purportedly lower the cylinder  pressures of most currently available commercial ammo to levels that are considered safe for the gun: Garand Gear Ported Gas Plug
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats OP. Looks like you got a very nice FG rifle. On the ammo issue, you might want to investigate the options out there for changing the gas cylinder pressures which can be problematic when shooting modern performance ammo. For example, here’s a ported gas plug from Garand Gear that purportedly lower the cylinder  pressures of most currently available commercial ammo to levels that are considered safe for the gun: Garand Gear Ported Gas Plug
View Quote
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not so sure yours is a hackberry. Yours looks similar to the one I received and I believe mine is walnut. If there's no hole, we know for a fact it's not GI.

From what I gather, this is what a hackberry looks like. Below that is mine, also a field grade. In either case, congrats on the new rifle. Sarco inc is a great place to get extra clips. If you get 20 or more you can get 'em at 1.25 a piece vs 1.50.

I would recommend watching this video here before buying the garand gear plug. It does it's job (sort of), but the schuster does it better, meaning your oprod will be happier and your M1 will last longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe3rrlJsEz0
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a hackberry stock

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the M1 Garand version of black rifle disease? Because I haven't even fired this one yet and I'm wanting another one lol.

I think this will be my new favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info and links. I definitely need some ammo. I've already bought extra clips, a bandolier, sling, and M5 bayonet. This stock will do for awhile, but I know I'll want to upgrade.
View Quote
Looks real good to me. Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks real good to me. Congrats!
View Quote
Thanks

This stock is growing on me. I may just keep it and put that money towards more ammo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm quite fond of my laminated stock from Dupage-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Any Garand is a good thing! Nice rifle OP!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
That looks like the service grade I recently received, except mine had 2+ readings. the only different is that I received a CMP walnut stock. You did well!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
check the cmp marketplace for hxp ammo. it was made for that rifle. get a can of clipped to start and keep the clips for reloading, you can just buy loose ammo after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top