Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2023 11:37:31 AM EDT
I have tested various Bering Optics Super Yoter 50 and Super Hogster LRF prototypes over the past 3-4 months. As the release of these new thermals near, I wanted to provide a video of this new thermal. This is not simply a Super Yoter or Super Hogster with an added LRF. These are entirely new thermals with a new body, new UI, new features, and more:

First Look: Bering Optics Super Yoter LRF: KC

Some new/changed features:
1) LRF (can be modified by Bering to mount on left or right)
2) Metal alloy housing (which is stronger, heavier, longer)
3) 4 button operation vs 3
4) Really powerful magnetic USB connection
5) 4 AA internal power
6) Improved video recording quality. 5-minute length (video and audio)
7) Zoom. Stepped Zoom from 1x-8x and incremental .5x Zoom
8) 4 Gun profiles + 3 distance profiles per gun
9) 8 reticles + a custom reticle you can design
10) Additional Target Hot background

These are some of the main differences. To me the image is both better and worse than the Super Yoter 50. The overall image seems a little better. However, to me the image needs to be adjusted more frequently than my Super Yoter 50. I set my SY50 when I received it last year, and I haven't touched the settings yet. I seemed to be needing to adjust the settings to maintain the best image.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you done any battery life testing? How about alkaline v lithium v rechargeable. Will it work with an external? I talked my self into stepping up to a yoter from a hogster, but now have to decide on lrf or not. Short battery life would be a big negative.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you done any battery life testing? How about alkaline v lithium v rechargeable. Will it work with an external? I talked my self into stepping up to a yoter from a hogster, but now have to decide on lrf or not. Short battery life would be a big negative.
View Quote
Indoors, yes I have done testing. The units work with virtually any AA battery. LiOn, NiMH, alkaline, Lithium, etc. Bering will include a set of 4 rechargeables with a charger with each scope. There is a setting to adjust the battery meter depending on type of battery, as the voltage varies considerably on different types of AA batteries. In my tests, I got 4 hours without the LRF and 3 hours with it on continuously. Bering's tests were about the same. However, for people who hunt cold weather or just want long battery life, do yourself a favor and just run a battery pack. The new magnetic USB connector works in any direction and has a super strong connection. I am typically not a big fan of magentic scope cables. However, Bering put a lip around the magnetic housing, and it is stays incredibly well. It is the best magnetic connection I have tried. Run a battery pack and run all night and keep the 4 rechargeable AA's as a backup source. The scope will switch to the internal if the external runs out of power or if somehow the user yanks the connection out.

As for LRF or not, it really depends on if you shoot long distances and if you don't mind the extra weight and length. As for length, it is much better suited to run on AR and bolts vs the more compact Bering thermals which really work best on ARs. However, the extra size and weight means they won't work nearly as well as a dual threat for those that want to use them as a scope and a handheld scanner at times.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Custom reticle is something I've wanted for a long time. Combined with LRF it would make an amazing package for subsonic rimfire and 300 BO.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Indoors, yes I have done testing. The units work with virtually any AA battery. LiOn, NiMH, alkaline, Lithium, etc. Bering will include a set of 4 rechargeables with a charger with each scope. There is a setting to adjust the battery meter depending on type of battery, as the voltage varies considerably on different types of AA batteries. In my tests, I got 4 hours without the LRF and 3 hours with it on continuously. Bering's tests were about the same. However, for people who hunt cold weather or just want long battery life, do yourself a favor and just run a battery pack. The new magnetic USB connector works in any direction and has a super strong connection. I am typically not a big fan of magnetic scope cables. However, Bering put a lip around the magnetic housing, and it is stays incredibly well. It is the best magnetic connection I have tried. Run a battery pack and run all night and keep the 4 rechargeable AA's as a backup source. The scope will switch to the internal if the external runs out of power or if somehow the user yanks the connection out.
View Quote
I received a Super Hogster LRF sample recently to test. I wanted to update many of you on some great news. I was shocked at how long the included rechargeable batteries were lasting. I was hunting in temps around 15°F and after hours of use, with the LRF on continuously and recording the entire hunt, the Super Hogster LRF was still showed full power. After getting home, I turned on the LRF continuously and tested the runtime. I got right at 6 hours of runtime with the LRF on continuously. That is pretty amazing using the rechargeable AA batteries. I contacted Bering and asked if what I saw was a "fluke". They said no, in the past few months as they were tweaking a few last-minute items, they were able to find additional ways to optimize battery life.

I have been asked how well does the LRF work. In the last sample I received, I can say AWESOME. I was getting range readings of coyotes and deer on a bed of snow at 1000 yards. Different conditions will yield different results, but this last prototype has me "jazzed".
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Custom reticle is something I've wanted for a long time. Combined with LRF it would make an amazing package for subsonic rimfire and 300 BO.
View Quote
Another cool feature is the custom reticle is a FFP reticle and it adjusts in size and relative spacing with every zoom level. The Bering LRF models allow zoom at .5 steps or the traditional 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I got to check out their whole line recently.  I was really impressed.  I don't have thermal yet, but I think one of these will be in my future.  Im still trying to learn about them and see what will work for me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got to check out their whole line recently.  I was really impressed.  I don't have thermal yet, but I think one of these will be in my future.  Im still trying to learn about them and see what will work for me.
View Quote
I personally have used every thermal in their lineup as I review thermals for Night Goggles to help determine what products we will carry as well as help Bering beta test their units. I also work with other brands as well. I don't receive commissions in my role, so you can be confident the advice I provide is based on your needs. I help people every day find the equipment that best suits their needs based on terrain, type of target, range requirements, budget, weapon, etc. I will send you my contact information if you wish to dig into this without spending days/weeks/months researching. Keep in mind Night Goggles is an ARFCOM sponsor and can provide ARFcom members a discount and free shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top