Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2020 7:51:07 AM EDT
I currently have an early 1941 Springfield and have been wanting to get another to tinker with. Possibly a tanker conversion. I’m looking at probably grabbing a field or maybe service grade. I’ve also heard that the southern store inventory is usually not as good. It’s about 4hrs drive or I can roll the dice online? What do you guys think? I’ve never purchased from CMP so I need to also call and verify what credentials I need. I’m former .mil and have membership with NRA, GOA, and VCDL. How’s the experience purchasing from them?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
When I bought my first Garand I drove 7 hours to the North Store and spent two hours looking at the rifles and talking to staff.  I would make the short drive and check everything out in person.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd drive just for the experience of it.  Wish I was only 4 hours away.  I'd totally be there in person.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered mine by mail, do they do online now?

I got a 1945 with a new CMP stock, love it. For $700 it wasn't that much of a gamble knowing they went through it and it would function safely.

If you're mil or leo there are less requirements. I had to use a carbine course certificate to prove the shooting part. A score sheet from a shooting competition also works.

ETA: It can ship to your house but it will be signature required. I sent mine to work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Make the trip.

Both for the experience of seeing the South Store and for the fact that YOU will be able to hand-select exactly the rifle you want.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Drive always if you can.

I drive there at least once or twice a year from Texas.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 hrs? That's it?

DRIVE and hand pick one.
View Quote
This. I wish either store was only 4hrs away for me. I used to drive 4hrs twice a week to work, it's nothing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm four hours from there too and I've never been. I have no excuse for not going either.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I live pretty close to Anniston, but even if I didn't,  it would have been well-worth the trip.

The two that I picked out were the only two there that I would have been happy with.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I drove about 9 hrs, slept in my truck and hit the store when it opened.  Drive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
In 2017, we drove four days to get to the North Store.   Bimba loved it and she guarded a rack of rifles until I told her to stand down.  We even found some arfcommers there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Drive to Anniston.  Start a conversation with the CMP employees.  Ask about how the rifles are graded and what measurements are recorded.   Ask them to help you pick an interesting rifle, and to show you how the gauges work.  You are less likely to be surprised by the rifle you get.

I’m almost inclined to say go to Talladega Park to see the inventory there, but I believe they only stock up when a match is being held.  And the South Store has inventory that they can bring out from the back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Might want to join Garand Collector's Assn before you go. Check the requirements for purchase on the CMP website carefully. Your DD-214 definitely counts, but I don't think NRA/GOA/VCDL meet any of the requirements. With a DD-214 and a GCA membership, you should be GTG, if memory serves.

And absolutely you should drive. Think of it as a pilgrimage. There are any number of motels and restaurants at the Oxford exit, which is about 5 min from South Store. Drive to Oxford, spend the night, get to South Store early, pick out your Garand, buy some ammo and clips, suck up the 10 or 11% Alabama sales tax so you can walk out with it, drive over to the Talladega Marksmanship Park and go shooting.

OR...

Sign up for one of the Advanced Maintenance Classes. The name is a bit of a misnomer: you definitely learn a massive amount of information about Garand maintenance, but you learn it while spending 3 days building your very own Garand from a pile of parts (under expert supervision) and then shooting it at Talladega. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Drive.  I made a side trip and had 3, ended up getting a .308 version after checking out 50 or so in the rack.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I currently have an early 1941 Springfield and have been wanting to get another to tinker with. Possibly a tanker conversion. I’m looking at probably grabbing a field or maybe service grade. I’ve also heard that the southern store inventory is usually not as good. It’s about 4hrs drive or I can roll the dice online? What do you guys think? I’ve never purchased from CMP so I need to also call and verify what credentials I need. I’m former .mil and have membership with NRA, GOA, and VCDL. How’s the experience purchasing from them?
View Quote
All of both store's inventories originate at Anniston. If you don't mail order I would go to the South store, and check what Talledega has before I made my selection. Spend 25.00 and join the GCA, Garand Collectors Association, the others you mentioned won't meet the requirement.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’m almost inclined to say go to Talladega Park to see the inventory there, but I believe they only stock up when a match is being held.  And the South Store has inventory that they can bring out from the back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Definitely stop there as well.  I went a few weeks back and they had a ton of M1903's at the Park and even more Garands.  They even had some Krag's.

Quoted:
Might want to join Garand Collector's Assn before you go. Check the requirements for purchase on the CMP website carefully. Your DD-214 definitely counts, but I don't think NRA/GOA/VCDL meet any of the requirements. With a DD-214 and a GCA membership, you should be GTG, if memory serves.
DD-214 is all you need to qualify.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC, my military ID was all that was required.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#19]
If you can spare the time make the drive. It's worth it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Drive, if the only reason is to hand pick one. Not everyone gets what their looking for or the condition they want through mail order. You also get the opportunity to possibly get grades and manufactures not available through mail order.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I now live 20 mins from the South store, and 10 mins from the CMP Marksman Park.  Do your homework and DO NOT COME anytime a Talladega Race is held, as the park is a few miles behind it. Traffic and people get retarded during the Talladega race week and events.

Sun and Mon were closed days at the CMP Park and check the online calendar for matches, as they may shut down certain ranges to the public for it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like I’ll drive then. I’ll probably take a day off and go during the week. Is this something i need to be waiting for the door to open and hectic?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I need to re-up all my info and go to the North Store.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]
When I got mine a few years ago I thought they didn't have much to choose from in the store because existing mail orders took precedence. Is that not true?

I am 3 hours from north store. Could always use another M1.

CMP has a forum. https://forums.thecmp.org/

eta
Since I'm in OH I pay OH tax either way but what about out of state. The order form doesn't have anything about out of state residents. If you travel to the store do you have to pay the local tax rate?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I got mine a few years ago I thought they didn't have much to choose from in the store because existing mail orders took precedence. Is that not true?

eta
Since I'm in OH I pay OH tax either way but what about out of state. The order form doesn't have anything about out of state residents. If you travel to the store do you have to pay the local tax rate?
View Quote
Only if you take the rifle with you. If it's shipped, you do not.
I've shopped at South Store a few times, and staff has always suggested I have the rifle shipped since shipping costs significantly less than tax (AL sales tax is 10 or 11%, IIRC), but I'm the impatient type.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Even if a line at the park, It will move fast. You will be required to take a safety class of about 15 mins before shooting if first time and annually. Just watching a presentation.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I drove 10 hours but you do you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds like I’ll drive then. I’ll probably take a day off and go during the week. Is this something i need to be waiting for the door to open and hectic?
View Quote
There will be a line before the doors open but it's not really hectic.  I was the 2nd in line last year when I went and picked up a nice IHC with a beautiful NFR stock and Winnie gas cylinder.

They also tend to restock a few times throughout the day.

Also watch this thread to get an idea of what is in stock.
South Store stock
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've shopped at South Store a few times, and staff has always suggested I have the rifle shipped since shipping costs significantly less than tax (AL sales tax is 10 or 11%, IIRC), but I'm the impatient type.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta
The current policy is that you can only have a rifle shipped if you have an airline ticket showing you flew in, and you will still pay tax because you are purchasing it in person in the state.  The went to that policy 3 or 4 years ago, maybe a little longer.  When was the last time you purchased?  I purchased in person at the south store April of last year and although they did make an exception on the shipping for me, I had to pay sales tax on everything I purchased, ammo and two rifles, even though they were all being shipped.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

DD-214 is all you need to qualify.
View Quote
DD-214 only meets one of the requirements.  You must have proof of marksmanship training, which the DD-214 satisfies, and you must be a member of a CMP associated club.  If you don't have any local ranges or organizations which are affiliated clubs, the easiest route to satisfy that requirement is to get a GCA membership.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

DD-214 only meets one of the requirements.  You must have proof of marksmanship training, which the DD-214 satisfies, and you must be a member of a CMP associated club.  If you don't have any local ranges or organizations which are affiliated clubs, the easiest route to satisfy that requirement is to get a GCA membership.
View Quote
Active or prior military service qualifies as a CMP affiliated club.  So an active ID, retiree ID or DD-214 covers all your bases.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#33]
They have drastically reduced the South store size to the point I don’t think it is even worth it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Active or prior military service qualifies as a CMP affiliated club.  So an active ID, retiree ID or DD-214 covers all your bases.
View Quote
A DD-214 does not automatically cover all bases.  You must be retired, active duty/reserves, or have association with one of the special affiliates.  For instance, the VFW.

When I signed up, my DD-214 only covered my marksmanship portion.  Even though I rate VFW membership based on my service awards, I was not a current member when I signed up so it did not fulfill the affiliated club portion.  Even if you sign up under the active duty clause, you will have to prove association by another means when you get out, unless you retire.  If you sign up under special association, you will have to provide proof of current association.  That means current dues paid up.  If you don't rate or don't want to be affiliated with the one of the veteran organizations, the easiest method of proving association is to join the GCA.

Current or past military service only completely/indefinitely fulfills the marksmanship requirement.  Unless you are retired.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They have drastically reduced the South store size to the point I don’t think it is even worth it.
View Quote
They recently added more racks.  When I swung through there a few months ago, I think the racks held about 50 rifles.  I still thought it was worth stopping in.  Also, the Taladega store is just up the road, and they also had at least another 50 rifles on display.

I would gladly make a 4 hour drive to check out both stores.  Especially with some of the bolt action rifles they have been putting out lately.

The main benefit to hitting the stores is they frequently have rifles on display which are not available by mail order.  I picked up a nice service grade IHC with LMR barrel which I would not have come across had I not gone to the store.  They also had some of the 308 specials in stock which were listed as sold out on the website at the time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The current policy is that you can only have a rifle shipped if you have an airline ticket showing you flew in, and you will still pay tax because you are purchasing it in person in the state.  The went to that policy 3 or 4 years ago, maybe a little longer.  When was the last time you purchased?  I purchased in person at the south store April of last year and although they did make an exception on the shipping for me, I had to pay sales tax on everything I purchased, ammo and two rifles, even though they were all being shipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta
I didn't know that. I'm not sure I would have noticed, since I have always opted to take the rifle with me, but it's been a few years since I bought "off the rack" there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I own a service grade garand that was a Danish buy back from CMP and it has been a great rifle it was 43 dated springfield. I did have to replace the barrel last year because the headspace was bad and the bullet was chambering to deep. but it has been a great rifle. The spring sounds like a screen door opening lol but I don't mind
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#38]
If you want a service grade, field grade, or bolt gun go to the south store. If you want a really nice service grade special go to the talladega range store. They had dozens of beautiful specials.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#39]
The anticipation of waiting on your CMP to arrive at your door?

Or the excitement of walking through the aisles of the CMP Store and having one of the folks there help you pick out a good one?

which is best?  Hard to say.  I've done both.

My prettiest M1 Garand was ordered.  First one.  Not a usual experience from what I read.  Dec. 44 SA with the original barrel and beautiful walnut stock/handguards with pretty good matching grain.

My best shooting M1 Garand was purchased at the North Store with the help of the guys working there.  They went around checking muzzle wear/throat erosion for me and set out the best ones for me to pick through.  The one I picked out was not pretty (a rack grade Greek return) but it had a 1953 LMR barrel on it and shoots like a match tuned rifle.  When people see the results at 300 and 400 yds. they ask me if it's a match rifle.

Not saying you'll have the same good luck I did, just saying there's two ways to do it, think about which one you'd enjoy the most.

And, many people recommend call the store you intend to visit and asking if they have a good selection prior to making the trip.  I've been to the North Store twice.  First time there it was packed with M1 Garand.  Rack after rack after rack to choose from.  On my second trip, about 2 months later, there was not a single M1 Garand in the racks and they only had six barreled receivers in a rack (I bought two of the H&R barreled receivers for father/son projects).

Good luck with your choice and rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Drive over the night before.  The next morning show up with fresh doughnuts.  Talk with staff over the said doughnuts while they point out the best two rifles in the place.  Buy them both then go home and shoot them.  Sell the one that doesn't shoot the best.  Then a year later wish you had kept it because who doesn't need an extra grand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m about the same distance- 4 hours. Having done it several times, definitely drive down. It’s worth the trip. Check out the TMP store as well, it’s only like 30 mins from Anniston. They had quite a bit of inventory last time I was there.

If you’re retired .mil, all you’ll need is your ID card. If you’re not, check out their site for what you need. Dd214 for sure, but I think you’ll need something else. Regardless I don’t think the orgs you mentioned count.

I HIGHLY recommend the Advanced Maintenance Class. I went about a year and a half ago. It’s a lottery system because there’s only so many spots. Yeah, it looks a bit expensive at first. But for what you learn it’s totally worth it.

Here is an overview of the class, what you learn and do:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/cmps-advanced-maintenance-class/
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Drive to Anniston.  Start a conversation with the CMP employees.  Ask about how the rifles are graded and what measurements are recorded.   Ask them to help you pick an interesting rifle, and to show you how the gauges work.  You are less likely to be surprised by the rifle you get.

View Quote
Not totally true.  They had a bunch of stock last month and the lady I talked to was awesome.  She said they are kind of the red headed step child of the cmp program and have little say in what they get but they do get stocked decently.  There was a bunch of guns there when I went, I picked up a dang nice 1903.

They open at 1100 so you can hit the south store then the park.  The range there is freaking amazing
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:28:15 AM EDT
[#43]
If I lived only 4 hours away, I definitely would make the drive.
You will pay 10% more for it because of the sales tax in Anniston, Alabama, but you get to see it, feel it, pick the one that you like if it speaks to you. Worst case scenario is you go home and then order one online if you don't  like any of them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I got a 1945 with a new CMP stock, love it. For $700 it wasn't that much of a gamble knowing they went through it and it would function safely.

If you're mil or leo there are less requirements. I had to use a carbine course certificate to prove the shooting part. A score sheet from a shooting competition also works.

ETA: It can ship to your house but it will be signature required. I sent mine to work.
View Quote
You can join Garand Collectors Association online for a few bucks. And if you have a concealed weapons permit, that's all you need. You don't have to send in any Targets or prove that you've been competing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Lots of good advice posted already.
4 hour drive.  It would take me a week and a half to drive there!  It’s costing me $800 to fly there in a few months!
I already ordered an M1 rifle through the mail, and plan on picking out a few from both Talladega and Anniston.  
Yep, I’m serious about my M1”s!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
No online orders for rifles, mail order or in person stores only

IMO the North Store is not worth the drive anymore. I am less than 2 hrs from North Store and I haven't been there for many years. Even during the Matches selection just isn't that good
South Store from the reports I have read has a much better selection. I would call the day before you plan on making the trip to make sure they have in stock what you are looking for
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top