Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2018 2:24:36 PM EDT
Finally got the call.  After about 3 years in business the time has come.   We try to do everything by the book, but I know we've made a few mistakes on our 4473 forms over the years.   Hopefully they won't be too hard on us.

What has others experienced when the Atf finds 4473 form mistakes or A&D book mistakes?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's like my inspections went, they'll mostly just note if you have small paperwork errors, and instruct you on things to double-check. Which really you should be doing anyway.

I guess their notes go into their report, and in future inspections, they might move up to citing you if the errors persist, which could eventually result in a fine or penalty or loss of license.

Mostly they want to see that your A&D book matches your physical inventory, and anything that was disposed of has the proper outgoing paperwork. If you have any Title 2 inventory, they'll probably start there, then move on to the Title 1 stuff (which they won't already have a list of).

Missing inventory or grossly errant paperwork might result in more severe actions, but I never had those issues.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Finally got the call.  After about 3 years in business the time has come.   We try to do everything by the book, but I know we've made a few mistakes on our 4473 forms over the years.   Hopefully they won't be too hard on us.

What has others experienced when the Atf finds 4473 form mistakes or A&D book mistakes?
View Quote
Fix your mistakes before they show up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fix your mistakes before they show up.
View Quote
We are doing an internal audit right now.  But some things like a missed customer signature can't be fixed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But some things like a missed customer signature can't be fixed.
View Quote
Yes they can, the process is explained in the instructions.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We are doing an internal audit right now.  But some things like a missed customer signature can't be fixed.
View Quote
When I worked retail we'd call the customer and explain that we made a mistake and have an ATF audit coming up. Asked if they would come in and help us out. Most were happy to help. Everyone had their own style but I just simply told them we goofed up on the paperwork and missed something and anytime they could make it in and correct it, it would be greatly appreciated. I always drove the point home that there is no time limit, whenever at all was convenient and I never threatened. Despite the internet toughguy routine, I never once had someone demanded freebies or I pay their gas. Of course if it was a big mistake that could have caused serious issues I'd offer them a free box of ammo or a gift card to incentivize them to show up sooner rather than later. Besides when they came in, free box of ammo or not, maybe 50% of the time they bought something.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I know how I'm supposed to fix them.  Just short of having the customer come back, those can't be fixed.

Yeah, we can call the customer, if we have their number, have them fix it.   Hopefully they can come in time. It's our mistake for not checking, just hoping we don't get a big fine or our license pulled.    Most are small clerical errors, or filing errors.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Routines and procedures go along way.

IE, if you've got mistakes, what training do you have in place to keep the employees / staff from making those mistakes again.

How are new employees trained?

Even rudimentary procedures or on boarding training is helpful in showing you're being proactive in compliance.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Routines and procedures go along way.

IE, if you've got mistakes, what training do you have in place to keep the employees / staff from making those mistakes again.

How are new employees trained?

Even rudimentary procedures or on boarding training is helpful in showing you're being proactive in compliance.
View Quote
We are a small mom & pop shop.  It's just myself and wife.  I'm working really hard on keeping her on track, and not being too upset when mistakes are made.   We need help, but as we just opened a new store, trying to get past that new store rush and justify hiring an employee.   It doesn't help that I have another business that keeps me from the store 4-5 months out of every year.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen stores that have laminated 4473 forms with all of the instructions and a John Doe mock up so that employees have a reference form to refer to when working with a customer.  Now a lot of stores that are using computer based software, they go through the form with the customer and someone else double checks the form on the computer before it is submitted.

But as was said, just make sure you have a proactive system for fixing or catching errors before submission and that someone or somehow you have a double check system in place.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't comprehend how a licensee misses getting the customers signature on the 4473.  You need to establish a procedure where the 4473 is checked, checked again and then re-checked BEFORE the gun leaves the shop or you won't be in business come your next renewal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't comprehend how a licensee misses getting the customers signature on the 4473.  You need to establish a procedure where the 4473 is checked, checked again and then re-checked BEFORE the gun leaves the shop or you won't be in business come your next renewal.
View Quote
I agree becuase if its a consistent problem with no corrective action they have cause to take action.
You're fortunate they called. I had ATF just show up unannounced no phone call, they can an will do that. I'm small potatoes. He had to come back again for some reason can't recall I think he had to ask his supervisor a question.  Or it could be we talked a lot?   Supposedly, as an FFL we are supposed to be helping them by keeping excellent records at all times.  My experiences with ATF and FBI have been respectful and positive along with informative as well.
Let us know how it went.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The first inspection I had was such b*******. The inspector was good for the first day on the second day he tried to get me on a manufacturing log issue. He said I didn't follow the format when in fact there is no stated format. You just have to have a certain information and I had all that information plus some which help me to tie together the form to with the form 4.

He backed down when I pointed out that the NFA registry was wrong where it had me in possession of a short-barreled rifle that had been transferred months ago to the customer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The first inspection I had was such b*******. The inspector was good for the first day on the second day he tried to get me on a manufacturing log issue. He said I didn't follow the format when in fact there is no stated format. You just have to have a certain information and I had all that information plus some which help me to tie together the form to with the form 4.
View Quote
MFG format is specified in 478.123(a)- 478.123(d) of the CFR. It implies columns, but does not specify that. Is that what you mean? I know folks who do one page per gun and have all the info, just not in columns.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MFG format is specified in 478.123(a)- 478.123(d) of the CFR. It implies columns, but does not specify that. Is that what you mean? I know folks who do one page per gun and have all the info, just not in columns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it was in columns. I had more information than shown in the CFR. Felt that he felt obligated to write me up for something. I told him that if he was going to write me up for that which I was obviously complying with I would have to make a big deal of the fact that the NFA registry had me in possession of a rifle that they had approved a form 4 for 6 months earlier.

He called his boss they spoke for a while and the next thing I know he dropped his demand to write me up for the manufacturing log LOL.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I remember the transaction....   I checked the front carefully, and my wife that helps run the store, filled out the remainder of the form.  As she was doing that, I was running the E-check.  Customer passed, I wrote down the ntn and checked the box, and did my signature.   At the time, we hadn't done very many, and was trying to get in a system.

In 3 years we have only found 6-7 mistakes on about 600 forms.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
8 years and nothing yet. Knock on wood.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
8 years and nothing yet. Knock on wood.
View Quote
Seriously?  In 10 years I've had four.

We do self-audits every quarter, just because.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top