Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2022 5:20:50 PM EDT
Wondering what treatments besides cerakote are available for stainless steel. Thought I could parkerized a barrel but I'm being told otherwise.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Oxide and Nitriding.  Black Ox is slightly different for Stainless, but just tell the processor which parts  are carbon steel and which are black oxide.

Parkerizing (phosphating) will not work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The idea of a nitrided stainless barrel is pretty interesting. While researching the topic I came upon this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Nitride_vs_stainless_barrel/118-675203/

Someone in there mentions sending their barrel to WMD guns to have it nitrided. Anyone have suggestions for a company with a better reputation? I have never heard of this company.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know why one wouldn't have that nitrided.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I'm going to do.

I contacted H&M who are very well respected but the head of the department I need to talk with is out on vacation until next week so until then I'm just coming up with questions about the process.
Biggest question I have is, should I remove the barrel extension and nitride in pieces or together?
And in addition to that, should I nitride just the barrel or nitride everything including the extension?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Why you're not gold plating it is beyond me.

What's the process used on Garand gas cylinders? They're stainless and blackish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Apparently oxide is an option but this barrel is chambered for precision and nitrided stainless is supposed to be even better than raw stainless for maintaining accuracy through the barrels lifespan
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely ups the wear resistance over bare stainless. All of my precision rifles have nitrided barrels. They shoot great and POI shift when warmed up is minimal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top