Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2020 12:52:12 PM EDT
After a two week delay because of the pandemic panic at the distributor, my 1873 Uberti arrived today.

I haven't even fired a shot and I'm already in love with it.

Ordered this while I was picking up the 1873

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice - what caliber?
View Quote

45 Colt

I already have one lever gun and a Peacemaker in 45 colt and I reload it so I'm just going to stick with that caliber
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love your new avatar...
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.
One of those is on my list and I'm not even a lever action fan.
Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice.
One of those is on my list and I'm not even a lever action fan.
Let us know how it shoots.
View Quote

Will do... I hope to get to the range after the 1st of May when my range reopens after the great Kung flu
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Gorgeous
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Super nice!  I have an Uberti 1866, .45 Colt, 20 inch barrel....have not shot it past 50 yards, but inside of that it is terrific...200grn FNRP, with 6.2 of Trail Boss...great gun!  v/r W
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Super nice!  I have an Uberti 1866, .45 Colt, 20 inch barrel....have not shot it past 50 yards, but inside of that it is terrific...200grn FNRP, with 6.2 of Trail Boss...great gun!  v/r W
View Quote

I'm currently shooting a 250 grain RNFP with five grains of Trail Boss. I've been thinking of dropping down to the 200 grain bullet just cuz it's a little cheaper.

I am hoping this weekend to get out to a friend's house and stretch its legs. He has a large steel gong out at 235 yards. It's time to play around with it LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm currently shooting a 250 grain RNFP with five grains of Trail Boss. I've been thinking of dropping down to the 200 grain bullet just cuz it's a little cheaper.
I am hoping this weekend to get out to a friend's house and stretch its legs. He has a large steel gong out at 235 yards. It's time to play around with it LOL
View Quote
I've got both a Uberti '66 Yellowboy 19" carbine and a '73 Special Sporting 24" rifle, both in 45 Colt.  I handload for them and have been using 255grn bullets for years, however, yesterday I finally made it out to the range to try my test loads of some 200grn RN plated bullets and 9.3grns of Unique.  I was pleasantly surprised how well they performed.  I test all my long guns at 200yds and the reduced recoil and higher velocities helped both my carbine and rifle do really well, better than I expected.  So, today my project is to crank up the Dillon XL 750 and make about 1,000rds of 200grn general plinking loads.  I still have my 255grn loads for more serious work and use a lead Elmer Keith 255grn style with a reduced charge in my SA pistol.

ETA:  Shamless pictures of my Ubertis.  In addition, I've tried the rifle at 300yds with the 255grn and it's more like a mortar rd than a rifle but the 200grn does better there too as long as you've got a decent charge which the 9.3grns of Unique is (9.5grn max).

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice! I was going to get the deluxe model but it was out of stock and no ETA on return in stock.

How hot is the 200 grain load with the 9.3 grains of unique?

Any concerns about accelerated wear?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Not hot at all.  In fact, the max load listing by Alliant is 9.5grns for a standard 14,000psi load.  Recoil was very mild compared to my load using 255grn bullets and Unique which is also under 14,000psi.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not hot at all.  In fact, the max load listing by Alliant is 9.5grns for a standard 14,000psi load.  Recoil was very mild compared to my load using 255grn bullets and Unique which is also under 14,000psi.
View Quote

Awesome... I'm always looking for different loads for 45 Colt. I've got a couple pounds of Trail Boss left and I will try your recipe when I'm done with that. I know it's a bit dirty but it's also nice to know there's a titegroup load out there too. Which I have a metric ton of LOL
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]
A wonderful rifle.....have a Uberti Yellowboy, it’s phenomenal

Congrats on the pickup
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Leonitus:
A wonderful rifle.....have a Uberti Yellowboy, it’s phenomenal 

Congrats on the pickup
View Quote

Thanks. I really like the yellow boy that might be my next one
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Had one for 20 years now, but in THE correct chambering.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
Had one for 20 years now, but in THE correct chambering.
View Quote

The correct chambering is whatever the hell I want to shoot out of it and that is 45 Colt...
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

The correct chambering is whatever the hell I want to shoot out of it and that is 45 Colt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
Had one for 20 years now, but in THE correct chambering.

The correct chambering is whatever the hell I want to shoot out of it and that is 45 Colt

The history buff in me says it must be in .44-40.  The practical side of me says reloading .45 Colt is infinitely easier than .44-40 thanks to carbide dies.  That's why as much as it pains this history buff when I eventually get one it will be in .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:

The history buff in me says it must be in .44-40.  The practical side of me says reloading .45 Colt is infinitely easier than .44-40 thanks to carbide dies.  That's why as much as it pains this history buff when I eventually get one it will be in .45 Colt.
View Quote

I live eat and breathe history. And I thought for a long time about going 44-40.

I have several friends who are into western guns and they each have repeaters and six guns in 44-40.

When I talked to them about it, they talked to me out of doing 44-40. They said that the idiosyncrasies of the cartridge, thin-walled, you don't get as many reloads out of it as you do 45 Colt, is the reason that they have bought repeaters and six guns in 45 Colt.

I am all set up to reload 45 Colt. I had a buddy give me a square deal B conversion kit that he didn't want or need any more so all I had to do was swap out my 9 mm toolhead and load up. Plus I was given 2000 45 Colt cases from a shooting buddy who had them but did not reload 45 Colt

Maybe one day I will have one in 44-40 just to have one but right now I'm happy with 45 Colt
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree that the 44-40 is a finicky rd to reload.  That's why I got mine in 45 Colt as well, however, I wish that Uberti and/or Cimarron would come out with a version in 44 Spl so that they could use the standard frame and innards but have a cartridge more closely resembling the original chambering.  The 44spl brass is stronger and with a bolt thrust more in line with the original calibers, the action design is less abused.  I know that Uberti has a 44 mag version but that's with a steel receiver and the toggle link system is still a bit 'fragile' for continued use of magnum ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
19th century assault rifles are both elegant and beautiful. Good choice with the 45 Colt over 44-40. Bore diameters between pistol and rifles Varied as much now as they did in 1873 (between .427 and .430). The revolvers had tighter chambers than the rifles and accuracy suffered. If you loaded for the actual bore diameter, it might not chamber in your revolver without reaming out the mouth of your cylinder.

You can also load .45 schofield in your rifle and gain capacity without loosing much, if any, velocity.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice.

I have a 16" Rossi .44 mag and a stainless .357 El Patron 4.75 inbound.

The balance of the 7.5" pistol is sweet.  I have the charcoal blued version.  I would get a stainless one if I could find one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Very nice.

I have a 16" Rossi .44 mag and a stainless .357 El Patron 4.75 inbound. 

The balance of the 7.5" pistol is sweet.  I have the charcoal blued version.  I would get a stainless one if I could find one.
View Quote

After a slight delay, thanks NICS background check, that was able to pick up my 7th Calvary SAA yesterday. I was actually out riding my bicycle with a buddy when I got the notification on my phone that the clearance came through to pick it up so we wrote an extra four and a half miles and went and picked it up.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Had one of those except mine was customized by Taylor's.  What a sweet shooting gun. I good chamber the action with my pinky finger it was so smooth.  Really nice guns.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Lovely rifle, OP. Of course, I may be biased:

It is absolutely the last rifle I'd ever sell.

Mine is in .44-40. Pic taken while deer hunting. (Haven't connected with a deer yet, but came this >< close last year to getting a good shot.)

I mostly shoot BP handloads in Starline brass.

Anyway, a couple tips based on experience with my rifle:

You should remove the side plates and Loctite the little screw that secures the loading gate to the right sideplate. Mine loosened a little eventually and backed out enough to interfere with the toggles, causing the rifle to jam.

However, before removing the side plates soak the screws for a couple days with a good penetrating oil, and use properly fitting, hollow-ground gunsmith's screwdrivers. Uberti's assemblers love to really crank down on the screws, and the heads are not properly hardened. I bought a set of properly hardened screws from VTI Gun Parts for my rifle.

Finally, if you handload be advised that they are sensitive to cartridge OAL. Too short or too long and the action will bind or even jam. If your rounds are in spec, though, it will be very reliable and smooth, and after you get it apart for the first time, very easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Beautiful rifle! Thank you for the tips.

I learned about how hard they are tightened by the factory. I have nerve damage in my right hand so it makes it a little hard for me to load because of the stiffness of the factory loading gate. So I got a new loading gate that has reduced power to it. Thankfully I have a really nice set of Chapman hollow ground bits.

As a precaution I also bought an extra set of screws for the rifle.

Thankfully so far I've had no issues with any of my reloads. In fact my rifle really likes my cowboy action loads. It is absolutely by far one of my most fun rifles that I own.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice rifle and new handgun purchase.

I've got a Miroku Winchester 1873 and made the mistake of getting .44-40. They're lots of fun to shoot, kind of like a big Red Ryder BB gun.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably would have just gone with the Uberti in .45 colt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top