Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2018 1:35:03 PM EDT
So I went out with my friend last night shooting. He brought his Insight mtm and I brought my dual 14’s.

It’s awesome, don’t get me wrong. And it’s still on my list of things to get. But I’m glad I went NV first. Not bashing, just my observation.

While I was using the thermal he put on my lid with the duals and immediately said he wanted to sell the mtm for a dual/bino nv setup. I told him he was crazy. Keep the thermal and save up for nv but he obviously felt the trade off was worth it

Ymmv. If I was only hunting I’d grab thermal first. Not to start a better/worse flame war just figured I’d give my opinion for guys who ask which one to get first.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
NV has the most versatility if you only have one. But recently I realized how much I don’t see with NV that I do with Thermal. I am thermal spoiled, however.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm glad I went NV first also it just fits my criteria better. For thermal be been looking at the Seek Reveal Pro 320x240 resolution that is good to 125 yards+. It's a handheld remote style imager which is perfect for my application for searching and seeing into areas where NV fails. It also has a 300 lumen onboard white illuminator which is great but I wish they had a IR illuminator option instead. For the list price of 699 it's not a bad deal but I think street price should be @ 400-499
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Higher resolution thermal looks much better, but NV first...
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My eyes were blinded when I opened this thread and saw a big red 50%(2)!

You mad bro?  Id get a new account.. its not too late to start over.

Anyway, no experience with thermal.. ymmv
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My eyes were blinded when I opened this thread and saw a big red 50%(2)!

You mad bro?  Id get a new account.. its not too late to start over.

Anyway, no experience with thermal.. ymmv
View Quote
Mad?  At what?

Anyway, I find that it helps keep the idiots away from me. You know, the people who make snap judgments with one piece of information the back story of which they know nothing about....
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm glad I went NV first also it just fits my criteria better. For thermal be been looking at the Seek Reveal Pro 320x240 resolution that is good to 125 yards+. It's a handheld remote style imager which is perfect for my application for searching and seeing into areas where NV fails. It also has a 300 lumen onboard white illuminator which is great but I wish they had a IR illuminator option instead. For the list price of 699 it's not a bad deal but I think street price should be @ 400-499
View Quote
I was looking st the flir scout tk. This looks interesting also. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was looking st the flir scout tk. This looks interesting also. Thanks!
View Quote
For the money and performance the Reveal Pro blows away the TK Scout and LTO Tracker out of the water almost the same way a high spec Gen 3 vs a Gen 2 tube. I also noticed that Leupold has rebranded the  Seek Rival and Rival Pro to the LTO Quest and Quest HD. There are a couple of good vids on youtube showing the capabilities of the Reveal Pro. The detection distance is supposedly at 750 yards
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thermal trumps thermal when hunting almost 100% of the time. I feel like people who prefer NV haven't actually spent enough time behind thermal to know the difference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thermal trumps thermal when hunting almost 100% of the time. I feel like people who prefer NV haven't actually spent enough time behind thermal to know the difference.
View Quote
Uh .... what trumps what?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thermal.... Duh LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is absolutely 100 percent accurate.

I was that same guy until I got into thermal.  The only real use I have for any of my night vision is for if we go out shooting at night, or if I need it to navigate to our hunting spots at night.  I rarely even keep it on my head after that.  Thermal takes the cake.  I have a gun specifically setup with a REAP-IR to keep it lightweight when going to and from hunting spot.  I would choose thermal if ops sole purpose is to hunt with.

Also, op you need to look through a better thermal.  Mtm is far from good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I first looked through a thermal 12 years ago and was impressed, now I have three dozen FLIRs in addition to my NV kits.

Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang. What kind of black coyote is that?

Trophy
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dang. What kind of black coyote is that?

Trophy
View Quote
You bet, I’be shot five of them in my backyard right behind the house!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Have used NV during my army career. After I go out, a relative on the fire department showed me a hand held thermal site they used for finding folks. Blew my mind. So friggin cool. 10 years later, finally able to afford some kind of night vision. Been researching thermals. Wanted a scope. Just got a Flir PTS233. Wow, beats the hell out of NV’s. There is a comparison on you tube between gen 3 NV and a thermal, side by side. That pretty much sealed the deal for going thermal. Can’t wait to hunt with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ha, whoops, thermal trumps NV
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have used NV during my army career. After I go out, a relative on the fire department showed me a hand held thermal site they used for finding folks. Blew my mind. So friggin cool. 10 years later, finally able to afford some kind of night vision. Been researching thermals. Wanted a scope. Just got a Flir PTS233. Wow, beats the hell out of NV’s. There is a comparison on you tube between gen 3 NV and a thermal, side by side. That pretty much sealed the deal for going thermal. Can’t wait to hunt with it.
View Quote
Is it the one where the thermal is also magnified?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:09:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is it the one where the thermal is also magnified?
View Quote
Native 1.5x
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Thermal is so much better than I2. I have gen 3 binoculars but hardly ever use them. Thermal gets used every time.

Night vision is good for walking around unfamiliar terrain.

One of these days I might actually try to use my night vision and Laser to kill something but I always wonder why should I when I have thermal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thermal is so much better than I2. I have gen 3 binoculars but hardly ever use them. Thermal gets used every time.

Night vision is good for walking around unfamiliar terrain.

One of these days I might actually try to use my night vision and Laser to kill something but I always wonder why should I when I have thermal.
View Quote
I was out coyote hunting with my top-of-the-line TNVC WP -14  this weekend, and a couple budget thermals, Pulsar Quantum XQ23V and Trail XQ30. Tan-colored coyotes are nearly invisible to NV unless you hit their eyes with an illuminator. Even on these budget thermals, they stand  out like sore thumbs. You cannot beat thermal for hunting. NV is still great for navigating though.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but what about all the talk about not being able to PID with thermal?  Don't get me wrong, I'm thermal thru-and-thru (it's in my job description) but it's all I've ever used.  Only NV experience I have is using an old Sony camcorder in NightShot mode.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, but what about all the talk about not being able to PID with thermal?  Don't get me wrong, I'm thermal thru-and-thru (it's in my job description) but it's all I've ever used.  Only NV experience I have is using an old Sony camcorder in NightShot mode.
View Quote
So he is saying that the tan totes are very hard to see with night vision but easy to see with thermal.
So if something nearly invisible to I2 but not to thermal my guess is that it would be easier to identify with thermal.
Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
That comes into play with a magnified I2 scope with large good glass.....not a pvs14.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That comes into play with a magnified I2 scope with large good glass.....not a pvs14.
View Quote
Yup, I'd love to be able to add a 4x I2 scope to the stable. I'm not gonna spend that sort of $ though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup, I'd love to be able to add a 4x I2 scope to the stable. I'm not gonna spend that sort of $ though.
View Quote
I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a night optics D750 that I haven't turned on in about two years now.

And that is a great 4x night vision scope. Thermal suits me much better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Question being would it better help you positively ID a coyote from the neighbors husky at 60-70 yards?  Myself, I don’t really care and I only hunt thermal.   But for some guys this could be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Again, people who throw around the PID argument probably have not spent much time behind a good, quality thermal scope.

The entire argument is pretty much moot when you realize that what you are trying to identify with thermal can't even be seen with NV.

This weekend, I walked into a field and could not see any signs of life with my Gen 3, un-filmed white phosphorus pvs14. I pulled up my rifle and counted SEVEN deer. Further, I could clearly tell that they were not bucks, but doe. The only thing I could not positively ID was a small animal about 300 yards away. I started to walk up to it and again, could not see anything with my NV and IR illuminator. At about 20 yards, I still could not see anything except the faint reflection of it's eyes with my NV/illuminator combo. However, I pulled up my thermal and could quickly tell it was a rabbit.

If I could do it all over again with current technology that is available, I would have never bought NV for hunting or walking around. I would get a head mounted thermal and a rifle mounted thermal scope. With the new FLIR breach being cheaper than some pvs14's, it's a no-brainer.

Que people coming in to tell me why I'm wrong and why they need NV so they can look through windows.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Question being would it better help you positively ID a coyote from the neighbors husky at 60-70 yards?  Myself, I don’t really care and I only hunt thermal.   But for some guys this could be an issue.
View Quote
You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference with NV at that distance either. At 10-15 yards, yes, you would be able to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:18:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Funny, if your compairing dual tube to thermal, I see the hesitation. If you had to choose one thermal would be hard to pass up...
Once your have both you can be a snob.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#31]
No the snobs are the guys always fiddle f’ing with their ir laser, helmet, and patch set ups in order to get just the right picture.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#32]
If I am using I2 to ID an animal it is usually with a PVS30 on a spotter or high end scope.

Thermal is amazing for picking up animals in the field.

2 pieces of gear, 2 uses with some overlap.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a Zeus 50mm (about 2 weeks now) and so far I love it. A 75mm would have been better, but I barely managed to talk my wife into the cost of the 50mm (and I got an amazing deal on NOS).

I’d still like a dedicated I2 scope or nice clip-on, but I’m not spending the $. Having one as a second option would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For the money and performance the Reveal Pro blows away the TK Scout and LTO Tracker out of the water almost the same way a high spec Gen 3 vs a Gen 2 tube. I also noticed that Leupold has rebranded the  Seek Rival and Rival Pro to the LTO Quest and Quest HD. There are a couple of good vids on youtube showing the capabilities of the Reveal Pro. The detection distance is supposedly at 750 yards
View Quote
Definitely going to check it out now. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I like them both.

I've used $25k thermals at work, but for ease of use and whatnot I like my WP NVG unit.
They are left and right hands honestly.
Meant to work together.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m not trying to start a shit show but to all of the guys saying thermal is way better why do all of the top tier op guys still use WP Binos for the most part (I know they can and do use thermal but mostly it’s NV)

I ask, again, not to be a smart ass but because I don’t hunt animals.  If I ever “Hunt” which I realize is the wrong word, but it’ll be humans during shtf who are trying to bring harm to me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like them both.

I've used $25k thermals at work, but for ease of use and whatnot I like my WP NVG unit.
They are left and right hands honestly.
Meant to work together.
View Quote
Seems like the answer. At least for me. Maybe I should dump one of my tubes for a thermal so I can have both.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#38]
The seek pro is terrible, I had it and returned it. I have a pulsar LD19S now. It’s probably the minimum I’d recommend.

The pulsar has much more resolution than the seek even though both are 320.

I’d have issues seeing my kids past 100yd with the seek. I can easily see squirrels at 100yd with the pulsar. The lens is as critical than the sensor size.

Thermal is nice,I used it a lot for hunting and seeing if there’s anything around before I start shooting in the desert.

I like my PVS14 more though, I saving for duals and will get those before I get a weapon mounted thermal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m not trying to start a shit show but to all of the guys saying thermal is way better why do all of the top tier op guys still use WP Binos for the most part (I know they can and do use thermal but mostly it’s NV)

I ask, again, not to be a smart ass but because I don’t hunt animals.  If I ever “Hunt” which I realize is the wrong word, but it’ll be humans during shtf who are trying to bring harm to me.
View Quote
I2 Is used for ordinary activities such as driving and troop movement because it produces a much better image of your surroundings. Detail is much easier to see on a consistent bases with I2 versus thermal. When the environment becomes too dark an illuminator can be switched on, when a thermal washes out you are stuck until conditions improve. I also think it is easier to comprehend the image with I2 since our brain process images based on color(light reflection) versus a scene dictated by radiant heat.

I am sure others will chime in but those have been my experiences. I have used both to drive, shoot and move and it really is left and right hand as mentioned above.

I2 is ideal for movement and tasks in a light sensitive situation.

Thermal is ideal for locating a target.

Obviously there is overlap but that is the simplest way to state the differences.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is this a rhetorical question?  Because the answer is obvious.  All the "thermal is better" guys in here are talking about hunting pigs and coyotes.  You don't have to be a hunter in order to comprehend their responses.  The "top tier op guys" you reference are talking about shooting at two-legged creatures that shoot back.  Two completely different use-cases.

If we were in a SHTF / TEOTWAWKI situation and I could only pick one device, I would definitely pick night vision.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is this a rhetorical question?  Because the answer is obvious.  All the "thermal is better" guys in here are talking about hunting pigs and coyotes.  You don't have to be a hunter in order to comprehend their responses.  The "top tier op guys" you reference are talking about shooting at two-legged creatures that shoot back.  Two completely different use-cases.

If we were in a SHTF / TEOTWAWKI situation and I could only pick one device, I would definitely pick night vision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. I'm not clearing rooms, walking around the streets or running drills/playing army. My goal is to kill animals, not prepare for the end of the world. However, if the latter happens I will be more than adequately prepared.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I stated in my op that I’d take thermal if I were only hunting but it seems a couple guys insist thermal is the way to go. They didn’t differentiate so I was curious to hear their response.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Israeli IDF uses FLIR T-70s for clearing Hezbollah tunnels as do the US Marshals service for urban sniper apps.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The seek pro is terrible, I had it and returned it. I have a pulsar LD19S now. It’s probably the minimum I’d recommend.

The pulsar has much more resolution than the seek even though both are 320.

I’d have issues seeing my kids past 100yd with the seek. I can easily see squirrels at 100yd with the pulsar. The lens is as critical than the sensor size.

Thermal is nice,I used it a lot for hunting and seeing if there’s anything around before I start shooting in the desert.

I like my PVS14 more though, I saving for duals and will get those before I get a weapon mounted thermal.
View Quote
2,000 more than the Seek Pro it better be better. Unfortunately the CFO aka Wifey isn't going see the advantage of me spending that much more...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#45]
If we're talking SHTF scenario IMHO a set of NODs would be a better selection due to the superior battery life and the ability to mount it to your dome. Having a weapons mounted thermal will blow for doing recce/general movement just as much a weapons mounted PVS14. Unless your doing over watch for a very short period of time and you have an unlimited stash of batteries a I2 may be a better choice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, there is a learning curve to thermal but an experienced user of both optics will take a thermal every day over NV when it comes to hunting game.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to pick the device called a cell phone, and call your friends to hunt more.

Remington is right...there are things you can miss with the highest end NV.  Thermal is amazing tech.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#48]
If you look at the video I linked, thermal has one draw back, can’t see through glass.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#50]
The go hand in hand in my opinion and I own both. I think thermal is better for detection and I2 for identification and there are some other things thermal can not see that I2 can.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top