Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2020 10:46:35 PM EDT
I'm not a huge reloader, but I recently ordered some Winchester Small Rifle primers from reloadingunlimited.com. The catch was that you had to order some powder in order to get the primers. OK, no problem.

But the small rifle primers I got came in this generic box with a home-printed label claiming "Winchester Small Rifle", and a bunch of generic white boxes with something blacked out on each box. No factory box, no UPC codes, NOTHING official to tell me what I actually have. I can't even tell what they blacked out. This feels like when I bought name-brand parts from KM Tactical that came in generic boxes, and it turned out to be Cheap Chinese Trash. "Oh, that's just bulk-packaging." Uh, yeah.
The other primers I ordered with these came in legit CCI packaging.

Did I get ripped off?
Maybe somebody that does more reloading than I can clarify if I need to call and be pissed or if I should be ok with this.

And it took two weeks to get here.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
looks legit  
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Military primers?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Put one on the floor and hit it with a hammer.  If it goes boom, the rest in the pack are good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't use Winchester primers at all anymore.  I bought a couple bricks in the nice factory packaging at a gun store & ~1/2 of them were duds.  Eventually just pulled down everything that I had loaded with a Winchester primer & started over with CCI's.   Never again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't use Winchester primers at all anymore.  I bought a couple bricks in the nice factory packaging at a gun store & ~1/2 of them were duds.  Eventually just pulled down everything that I had loaded with a Winchester primer & started over with CCI's.   Never again.
View Quote

Winchester primers are used by large numbers of USPSA shooters with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good for them.  Funny so many people here have a bad experience with a product & won't use it & everybody hops on the hate wagon NQA.  I guess LGBTQ whatever shooters must have a powerful union.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Diverted military primers probably.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
That is crazy. I have used Winchester primers almost exclusively the last 30 years. I have never had a dud. No one, have loaded well over 15k rounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Blacking out the lot number seems to be bad practice to me...
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Cool, never seen Winchester #41's only CCI before. But haven't really looked recently either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
<snip> none of that crap in this tech forum. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you check seating depth?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly this. I bought several bricks of these from Powder Valley in April. What you have are Win #41 military primers.

Enjoy them!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now a great time to sell those excess primers!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like it

Winchester 41 Military Primers

eta:  sorry already posted example.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome, this made my weekend! Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered from the same place and got similar packaging. Maybe they ratfucked a 5k box and broke them down to sell in 1k lots?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cool, never seen Winchester #41's only CCI before. But haven't really looked recently either.
View Quote

Quoted:

Exactly this. I bought several bricks of these from Powder Valley in April. What you have are Win #41 military primers.

Enjoy them!
View Quote

Never seen them before either. Was thinking no way CCI is the only .mil supplier. I have good results with CCI #41s.

Since they're spec/TDP primers, do they follow the same load data? Have you taken the Pepsi challenge with them?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#20]
What is wrong with Winchester primers?

I've not used any other brand of primer since I started reloading 32 years ago.

I've still got a large Winchester primer stash...
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is crazy. I have used Winchester primers almost exclusively the last 30 years. I have never had a dud. No one, have loaded well over 15k rounds.
View Quote

I also use Winchester primers for about 95% of my reloads w/o any issues. Been reloading for 25 years. GTG.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Never seen them before either. Was thinking no way CCI is the only .mil supplier. I have good results with CCI #41s.

Since they're spec/TDP primers, do they follow the same load data? Have you taken the Pepsi challenge with them?
View Quote

Haven’t loaded any up but have no concerns. Expect them to run just like the CCIs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never seen packaging like that, but I shoot over 10,000 rounds a year and most are loaded with winchester primers

In over 30 years of reloading, I've never had a dud winchester primer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#24]
From my understanding, primers shipped in those boxes are intended for 06 FFLs that will be using them to manufacture ammo. There is no need for fancy packaging, as they are not intended for the general public.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
OP:

You were sent legit milspec primers.  
Get-a-loading.  

11C:
Alot of people have had no issues with WIN primers.
You have.  
Logic suggests maybe a problem with how you loaded them.  
Either way............ now is a great time to sell them off................
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is truly an anomaly.

I think you got screwed by your supplier, not by Winchester.  Did you ever go back and talk to them about this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good for them.  Funny so many people here have a bad experience with a product & won't use it & everybody hops on the hate wagon NQA.  I guess LGBTQ whatever shooters must have a powerful union.
View Quote

Ummm... wut
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Load them and shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
ugh i bought that same deal. bought a over priced 8# jug of cfe223 to go with my overpriced box of winchester 41s.
Its been a week and I haven't seen shipping information yet.

I wish I had just held out a bit. I've got 2-3k of 5.56 to run through yet. Who knows what the primer situation will be like in a couple more months.

Not super impressed so far. I'll stick to powdervalley next time
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winchester primers are all I have ever used going all the way back to 1994.

Olin is the name of the actual company.

They are local to me in Alton, Illinois.

Olin might have had some QA/QC issues when they moved stuff down to Alabama or Mississippi.

From what I understand, they moved everything back to Alton, IL.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Normal packaging I guess, but why black out part of the label?

im still suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Those will be some hardish primers
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Figured out most of the lot number

LOTWCC19C029-117

LOT is "lot number"
WCC is Winchester Cartridge Company
"19" is 2019
"C" is March  ("A" would be January, "B" would be February, etc)
029 is 29th day of March

No idea on the "117", maybe the 117th batch they did on March 29, 2019
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Lot number blacked out because they are either mixed lots or have an ummm "odd" acquisition history.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's very odd.  I've used probably 100K+ Win primers with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine were packaged the exact same way. The small boxes opened slightly and the larger package was full of loose primers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Call Winchester with lot#

They'll tell you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top