Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2022 9:38:37 PM EDT
Off of Guns America, of all places.  Listed as a Model 1816, but of course it is actually an early Type III Model 1812.  I think it is in original flint, but y'all be the judge.

Of course these predated parts interchangeability, so there are "X" marks on a bunch of the lock parts.

There should be a date on the buttplate tang, but there is just an indecipherable set of small indentations left:

This was probably one of the last with this buttstock configuration, with the comb and cheek recess;

A crusty bore, but definitely unloaded.  When the bore light is reversed, you can see the shine in the touchhole.

Haven't taken it to pieces yet, but if I ever do I'll get some photos of the innards.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat!
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! I like it! Do you have any plans to shoot it? Or looks like it could use a liner if you do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! I like it! Do you have any plans to shoot it? Or looks like it could use a liner if you do.
View Quote

Not sure, honestly.  I really do think it would be OK with some light charges, and the mainspring seems stout enough (I have some flints on the way - enough to see how it sparks).  But given its survival to the present without (it seems) a ton of alteration I don't think I could find it in myself to get the barrel lined or change out a bunch of parts to make it a shooter.  For me, at least, I'd rather pick up a reconverted piece or a straight up replica if I needed a shooter.

So far, the oldest piece I've taken to the range is my 1883-vintage Model 1873 trapdoor, and it chewed through light cowboy loads like a champ.  But if in the course of my collecting I snag an upgraded specimen, this one just might make its way out to the range!
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice find. It seems you are up on you musket models. Personally, I would just lightly clean off the metal, oil it and simply admire it. You can find repros for shooting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice find. It seems you are up on you musket models. Personally, I would just lightly clean off the metal, oil it and simply admire it. You can find repros for shooting.
View Quote

Discretion probably is in order, no doubt.  A repro should probably be on my list one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Being the curious fellow I am, I crammed a flint into the cock to see what would happen.

She may be 206 years old but she still has that spark!

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
That bore.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That bore.
View Quote

Ha!  You think that's bad, check out my latest pair!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top