Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2018 8:46:01 PM EDT
I wanted to get the family out to shoot some guns, but they declined. More ammo for me. The SBR is a 10" based on a 9mm RRA upper with an RRA mag block. On the plus side it was perfectly reliable with cheap FMJ ammo as well as various hollow points. The negative is that it kicks just as much as a 5.56 while being less exciting to shoot. As an indoor trainer that isn't going to annoy the entire range and is less expensive to shoot, it's perfect.

It had an M4 style stock that was okay. I kept a copy of my tax stamp in the grip which ended up falling out. It was replaced with a FAB Defense GLR-16 that is both more comfortable and allows a place to keep the tax stamp copy while maintaining an M4ish look. A Model 1 Sales extension tube was required to get a tight fit while allowing it to collapse completely (it's commercial in diameter but mil spec in length). As a $90 upgrade (stock plus extension tube), it's a bit much...but ultimately does what I was looking for.

I found it interesting that my AR pistols get curious looks at the range while the SBR was pretty much completely ignored.
20171013_081213 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking gun, exciting to shoot or not.

I think the advantage to the 9mm SBR is the ability to use very short barrels. My 9mm SBR has a 7” barrel. That is still a little long, I’ll probably replace it with a 5” eventually. My 9mm AR pistol has a 4.5” barrel and that is about ideal IMO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My sbr is a 4.5 inch barrel and it’s awesome. Nothing near a 5.56!

I’m no expert in this but maybe your buffer setup needs adjusting
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You could consider getting an mp5 clone. My omega mp5k with silencer is like shooting a .22. Very little recoil and very compact with b&t folding stock.

Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Blowback guns are notorious for sharp recoil.
If you want significantly less recoil, you have to step up to something like a CMMG Guard/Banshee, Sig MPX or Kriss.

You can order a CMMG radial-delay-blowback BCG and 8" or 16" barrel to swap into your existing build.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/barrel-and-bcg-kit-8-4140cm-sbn-9mm/
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want significantly less recoil, you have to step up to something like a CMMG Guard/Banshee, Sig MPX or Kriss.

You can order a CMMG radial-delay-blowback BCG and 8" or 16" barrel to swap into your existing build.

View Quote
+1
I've tried for years to smooth them out and the closest I got was running a Pneumatic buffer and ported suppressed upper. That was an old Olympic arms pneumatic buffer that required an A2 stock and eventually leaked.
I shelved the Colt 9mm blowback system for years....and am now running the new CMMG Guard radially delayed blowback system and it is great.

I also have a full auto post sample MP5K PDW and Sig MPX.
I think the MP5 is the smoothest out of all of them.

Full auto MPX is close behind the MP5 in smoothness but I think the 9mm Guard and MP5 both suppress better than the MPX.

I like how the MP5 and the Guard both do not rely on the gas system.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine is a bit long as I wanted to mimic the carbine sight radius, while keeping the M4 ish look...kind of a neo-retro.

It's got a 7oz buffer as is. I'd hate to go heavier as it may reduce reliability with cheapo ammo. Functionality with all ammos is always my #1 concern.

Thanks for the input. I figured the recoil would be a bit sharp-ish. As I mentioned, as an indoor trainer it suits my purposes perfectly.

On the MP5, I've oft thought about getting a Zenith AOW...but that'd be a bit of an expensive toy...

On the CMMG stuff...that is intriguing...though I'm not interested in spending any more money on the thing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truth.

Except that I'm not sure if the Guard upper works with his SBR'ed lower... Does it? CMMG certainly implies you should use their lower.

Even the APC9, a $2000 9mm PCC has disappointing recoil. The MP5 really is the best out there, it's annoying that so many people are working on new designs that don't actually rival it. If MP5 had bolt hold open, it would be no contest.

OP can try a JP Buffer, and endless buffer combinations and "tricks". OP has probably learned to shoot the gun as a pistol, a lot, before filing for a tax stamp. (It's ok, many of us have been burned)
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The SBR has been assembled as an SBR only.

I have a 7" 5.56 in pistol form and a 10.5" in a stockless firearm configuration. The pistol is rowdy but fun, and the firearm is as smooth and capable as a conventional carbine...it's just a tad bit awkward.

I've had worse...mainly an early Mech Tech carbine conversion in 45ACP that was kinda awful all around. The only redeeming quality was being accurate.

It's no bigs. It's practical but kinda boring and kicks a bit sharper than expected, is all.

I love the AR, and it has a welcome place.

The fancy hydraulic buffers all seem to eventually fail. I'm using a solid 7oz buffer. I'm not sure the mechanical two piece 9mm buffer or a fancy A5 in a 6.8oz weight would do any better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I would recommend the 9QT heavy buffer and wolf extra power spring.

Personally, I have never seen a 9mm colt style AR have any issues if running that combo.

I believe it is around 8.5 or 9 ounces if memory serves correctly
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
KAK has a dedicated 10oz 9mm buffer that looks promising.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Truth.

Except that I'm not sure if the Guard upper works with his SBR'ed lower... Does it? CMMG certainly implies you should use their lower.

Even the APC9, a $2000 9mm PCC has disappointing recoil. The MP5 really is the best out there, it's annoying that so many people are working on new designs that don't actually rival it. If MP5 had bolt hold open, it would be no contest.

OP can try a JP Buffer, and endless buffer combinations and "tricks". OP has probably learned to shoot the gun as a pistol, a lot, before filing for a tax stamp. (It's ok, many of us have been burned)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

There are few thread going on right now with people using Guard uppers or Guard barrel and BCG to run on a standard 'Colt' lowers.
I'm one of them.  Mine is running pretty good now.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/9mm-Guard-Barrel-and-BCG-working-with-Colt-mags/145-286362/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Thoughts-on-the-CMMG-Guard-/15-713060/&page=10

I've always hoped someone one come out with a delayed roller blowback upper for the AR platform (someone did but it was only a prototype he did for himself).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld3GZR3sSVs&app=desktop
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The fancy hydraulic buffers all seem to eventually fail. I'm using a solid 7oz buffer. I'm not sure the mechanical two piece 9mm buffer or a fancy A5 in a 6.8oz weight would do any better.
View Quote
I'm running the 9mm Guard with the A5 buffer tube + Tubbs 556 flat spring + Kynshot/Bliztkrieg buffer and is very smooth.  Very close to my MP5K.
Both in full auto.
I don't think I've seen anyone post about the Kynshot buffers leaking.  I have seen some mention the Enidine and original Colt hydraulics leaking though.

I'm running the above setup also in the belt fed 556 Shrike in full auto and will see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm running the 9mm Guard with the A5 buffer tube + Tubbs 556 flat spring + Kynshot/Bliztkrieg buffer and is very smooth.  Very close to my MP5K.
Both in full auto.
I don't think I've seen anyone post about the Kynshot buffers leaking.  I have seen some mention the Enidine and original Colt hydraulics leaking though.

I'm running the above setup also in the belt fed 556 Shrike in full auto and will see how it holds up.
View Quote
As I've yet to see any AR specific hydraulic buffer stand the test of time, so I'll not be a tester. If they were rebuildable, it would be a consideration.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As I've yet to see any AR specific hydraulic buffer stand the test of time, so I'll not be a tester. If they were rebuildable, it would be a consideration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both in full auto.

I can understand that but for the benefits of a hydraulic, I'll be a guinea pig.  
Even if you don't want to go hydraulic, just using a standard carbine buffer that the Guard is normally sold with is night and day from a standard blowback 9mm configuration.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
A blowback 9mm AR will always be chasing it's tail... if you put enough weight in to tame the recoil, the whole thing becomes to heavy and moves around when shooting.

This is also why folks worship at the throne of the roller lock.  Don't get me wrong, the MP5 is obsolete AF, but low recoil it has.

I have high hopes for the CMMG radial delayed blowback, and hope to get one before too long.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is also why folks worship at the throne of the roller lock.  Don't get me wrong, the MP5 is obsolete AF, but low recoil it has.
View Quote
I'm curious how Strike is coming along on their MP5 uppers

Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A blowback 9mm AR will always be chasing it's tail... if you put enough weight in to tame the recoil, the whole thing becomes to heavy and moves around when shooting.

I have high hopes for the CMMG radial delayed blowback, and hope to get one before too long.
View Quote
Yep, my CMMG Guard is pretty close to my MP5 in smoothness.  
Better ergonomics, parts compatibility, optics options, easy to work on, rail options and bolt hold open.....all those make me leave the MP5 at home.
I only bring the MP5 out for comparison testing now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That has not been my experience. I think the first couple of responses nailed it. Its all about the barrel length.

My first attempt at a Colt pattern 9mm SBR used a 10.5" barrel and a Q-buffer. That was a heavy build and even with the Q buffer, recoil was still snappy and quite honestly, didn't care for it. Sold the upper and other 9mm specific parts and turned the SBR'ed lower back into a 5.56mm build for a while.

Decided to give a 9mm build another try. This time I used a 4.5" barrel with a standard Colt 9mm buffer and Sprinco "red" spring and an NFA buffer spacer. Its noticeable lighter, balances great and runs like a sewing machine. Accurate, reliable and low recoil. Its one of my favorite, most fun guns to shoot now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I pretty much only run my 10.5" 9mm AR when I need a retro fix and want to shoot steel at close range (10+ yards). Have considered a 4.5" build, but the safe is already pretty full of AR uppers that see little use...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The negative is that it kicks just as much as a 5.56
View Quote
You need to work out. You obviously don't crossfit.

I can't imagine most of modern America shooting 4 rounds of trap with a  12 gauge on a Saturday morning. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#21]
My 9mm AR has a 4.5” barrel and is always suppressed. I stopped shooting it when I bought the SIG MPX.   I should’ve spent the tax money on the MPX instead. So my two stamp 9mm AR collects dust.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You need to work out. You obviously don't crossfit.

I can't imagine most of modern America shooting 4 rounds of trap with a  12 gauge on a Saturday morning. 
View Quote
Respectfully, shut up.

I shoot shotguns with buck and slugs all day for fun.

That's not the point...at all...
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This time I used a 4.5" barrel with a standard Colt 9mm buffer and Sprinco "red" spring and an NFA buffer spacer. Its noticeable lighter, balances great and runs like a sewing machine. Accurate,
View Quote
Mine is a 5 inch. While it shoots OK, it's not as graceful and refined as a roller lock. Delay (roller or otherwise) is where it's at.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#24]
My 9mm SBR is also disappointing. The recoil and weight is quite surprising compared to it's DI counterparts. I've got a damn 12oz buffer in my 9mm AR and that thing slinging around with the bolt makes for a hefty pig. I should be getting in my CMMG Guard setup next week and look forward to see how well it smooths things out. I've struggled to find an ideal PCC.

MP5-Roller lock feels great to shoot but I hate the ergonomics, no LRBHO, and they are heavy
9mm AR-best modularity and ergonomics but blowback operation really ruins the experience as it does with most PCCs.

A true roller lock upper on a standard AR lower would be pure bliss.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A true roller lock upper on a standard AR lower would be pure bliss.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep. I saw it mentioned above and I've reached out to those guys in the past about making them. I would pay serious money for such an upper.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Respectfully, shut up.

View Quote

Respectfully, I don't believe you. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mine is a 5 inch. While it shoots OK, it's not as graceful and refined as a roller lock. Delay (roller or otherwise) is where it's at.
View Quote
If you say so? I've only shot an MP5 once and that was many years ago but I wasn't very impressed with it and I don't recall it being drastically smoother? Either my memory isn't that great or the difference wasn't dramatic enough for me to notice?

Either way, I'm very happy with my current setup so I don't see an MP5 in my future? I'll admit though, if I was starting from scratch (or had a burning desire for a 2nd PCC) I'd probably go the Sig MPX route
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you say so? I've only shot an MP5 once and that was many years ago but I wasn't very impressed with it and I don't recall it being drastically smoother? Either my memory isn't that great or the difference wasn't dramatic enough for me to notice?

Either way, I'm very happy with my current setup so I don't see an MP5 in my future? I'll admit though, if I was starting from scratch (or had a burning desire for a 2nd PCC) I'd probably go the Sig MPX route
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  I also have a  blowback 4.5" 9mm Colt pattern barrel made from a Douglas blank and 3 lugged.  Hands down shoots like crap no matter what buffer/spring combo I have tried compared to an MP5 or the new 9mm Guard.
I also have a post sample full auto MPX and wish I never got it.  It doesn't suppress as well as the MP5 or Guard and piston is another area of maintenance that doesn't exist with the Guard.  With the Guard setup, I am also able to use Glock mags and I've also modified my Hahn mag block to work with unmodified Colt mags and drums.
The MPX is also more finicky since it relies on the gas.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respectfully, shut up.

Thankfully, that's irrelevant.

I've owned two single shot 50BMG's, crossfit guy. Don't be a tool.

I'm a professional machine gunner.

Seriously, you're being silly.

For everyone else, I appreciate the input.

The Blitzkrieg "AKTIVE" buffer looks intriguing. It is elastomer vs hydraulic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Honestly OP I hear that a lot with these setups in 9mm. Shooters are surprised by the recoil. From what I've heard a Tubb's flat recoil spring helps reduce the sharpness of the recoil. I would give that a shot and then go up to a heavier buffer like Spike's for 9mm if desired.

PS: Nice looking SBR. That fat hand guard looks a little out of place though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Honestly OP I hear that a lot with these setups in 9mm. Shooters are surprised by the recoil. From what I've heard a Tubb's flat recoil spring helps reduce the sharpness of the recoil. I would give that a shot and then go up to a heavier buffer like Spike's for 9mm if desired.

PS: Nice looking SBR. That fat hand guard looks a little out of place though.
View Quote
Thanks. The skinny handguards look worse with that front sight set up. They look great with a traditional A-frame sight.

My setup already has a 7oz buffer. I'll probably try a .308 spring next and go from there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My 9mm AR is kind of a dud as well.  Mine is a 5" upper that I shoot suppressed 100% of the time.  It works fine, mostly anyways, but there's a part of me that feels like a jackass putting a stamp on the thing.  It's a very clunky feeling gun when shooting.  It's got like a pound of bolt and buffer bouncing around to and fro when firing, it makes for a very weird recoil impulse.  It looks cool, and sounds good, but just the feel of it doesn't do it for me, I can't really explain it.

I feel like I should have held out for an MP5 clone or an APC9 or something for my PCC SBR fix.
View Quote
Gas or delayed blowback is the only way to have a truly smooth shooting PCC.  The AR's are nostalgic, cool, and familiar. Seems CMMG has the hot set up these days. To me, the main thing is that it works and is accurate.

Or, I hear doing crossfit will really smooth out your recoil impulse and action feel.

I love this forum. "Do you even crossfit, bro" is a new one to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Gas or delayed blowback is the only way to have a truly smooth shooting PCC.  The AR's are nostalgic, cool, and familiar. Seems CMMG has the hot set up these days. To me, the main thing is that it works and is accurate.
View Quote
I think there are actually problems with the Guard. All the initial reviewers had multiple malfunctions and blamed it on the removable weights... but I'm not so sure. CMMG recently entered into a competition to provide Army PSDs with a 9mm submachine gun- they did not put forth their radial delayed design.

On the topic of "harsh recoil," this is something that's definitely 100% in the mind of the user- and that's not meant to be obnoxious or disrespectful to those who are recoil sensitive... it's just a fact.

I have, SBR'd, a Scorpion, a full size MP5, an MP5K, and LE6991 (10.5" semi Colt SMG). The factory Colt is 100% reliable, accurate, and has a very smooth and pleasing recoil impulse. A friend inquired what special parts combinations I had cooked up to achieve this without compromising reliable function- I told him a factory carbine spring with spacer and 5.5oz buffer as Colt's research had led them to.

He wanted to try- so one day we were indoor and I handed it over... his remarks were "Awwww... Maaaaan! OUCH! This thing is rocking my a! Dayum! I'm headed to the chiropractor after this! This 9mm is beating me up bad. Call an ambulance, this recoil is extreme!"

Maybe I'm slightly exaggerating, but the whole time I just gave him a funny look like he was putting me on, but I asked him several times... and believe it or not, he was actually serious.

It's impossible not to acknowledge that the MP5/ RDBB impulse is lighter, but there's just not enough KAPOW in 9x19mm ammunition to produce any recoil worth mentioning. Simply by following the fundamentals of close quarters marksmanship, there is very little difference in the result on paper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#36]
It doesn’t hurt to shoot but the entire idea of a PCC for me is to have a fun, cheaper to shoot, and lighter recoiling gun. When it has more recoil that a SBR 5.56 I’m just not going to shoot it much. The 9mm round isn’t the problem as people shoot pistols all day no problem. The issue is the blowback nature and the required 1.5lb plus mass to counteract it.

This isn’t an issue of “manning up” or whatever garbage some of you guys are saying. It’s an inherent flaw in the design.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#37]
The buffer is 5.5oz instead of 3.7 (H), same as an H3.
The Bolt is 15.7 vs 11.6.

The barrels vary a lot, so depends on build.

It does depend on the shooter, sure, but I've never really been turned off by my 9mm's recoil at all. I do think a lot of folks go too heavy on the buffer weight, more recipricating mass might tweak the feel.

I do agree with the OP though that the main feature of it for me, is less noise/flash and stuff for indoor use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It’s an inherent flaw in the design.
View Quote
You're just as bad as the crossfit bro when it comes to injecting emotion into an issue of fact.

There simply isn't a whole lot of KAPOW in a 9x19mm round- whether fired from a pistol or from the shoulder (of course not).

If you're unable to place rounds within a few inches of each other at common CQB distances, you are suffering from a training deficiency.

Try not to interpret this advice through your emotional lens:

IF you are unable to effectively control and employ a 9mm PCC or carbine, you should consider starting with an M&P 22, or even a Ruger 10/22, and work your way up as your skill set develops and when you feel comfortable.

I also don't think any straight blowback 9mm recoils as much as a gas operated RO933 Commando, Mk 18, or even an M4... but if you perceive it to be true, then perhaps slip them in as an intermediate step in your training.

9mm pistol rounds are not big boomers or heavy hitters when fired from anything.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're just as bad as the crossfit bro when it comes to injecting emotion into an issue of fact.

There simply isn't a whole lot of KAPOW in a 9x19mm round- whether fired from a pistol or from the shoulder (of course not).

If you're unable to place rounds within a few inches of each other at common CQB distances, you are suffering from a training deficiency.

Try not to interpret this advice through your emotional lens:

IF you are unable to effectively control and employ a 9mm PCC or carbine, you should consider starting with an M&P 22, or even a Ruger 10/22, and work your way up as your skill set develops and when you feel comfortable.

I also don't think any straight blowback 9mm recoils as much as a gas operated RO933 Commando, Mk 18, or even an M4... but if you perceive it to be true, then perhaps slip them in as an intermediate step in your training.

9mm pistol rounds are not big boomers or heavy hitters when fired from anything.
View Quote
Nobody is accusing 9mm of having too much "kapow." Others are praising the MP5 for being a pleasure to shoot so it's obvious the problem lies with the AR platform and blowback nature NOT 9mm "kapow." I also appreciate the assumption that I need to "train up" with .22 to reliably shoot my 9mm SBR effectively. I have no problem using my SBR accurately and effectively despite it's shortcomings. However, with a 12oz buffer and the beefier bolt slinging back on every shot I'd rather use a .300 BLK or 5.56 SBR as more effective solutions. DI or a delayed blowback is just smoother shooting. That's a fact based on physics, not emotion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Blowback guns are a little more abrupt or harsh in the recoil impulse. That doesn't mean that they recoil more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Blowback guns are a little more abrupt or harsh in the recoil impulse. That doesn't mean that they recoil more.
View Quote
Some people think ketchup is "too spicy." Ketchup is not spicy at all.

Here we have some folks who think 9mm is "too rough." 9mm is not rough at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:49:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some people think ketchup is "too spicy." Ketchup is not spicy at all.

Here we have some folks who think 9mm is "too rough." 9mm is not rough at all.
View Quote
It's all subjective. If my 7" 5.56  pistol with a pistol tube is funner and more enjoyable to shoot than my 9mm SBR, I'd call that a bit of a fail. I'm not giving up. It's all about balance and the spring/buffer combo.

I'll probably eventually get one of the fancy Blitzkrieg buffers. Interestingly, they have a ten year warranty on the hydraulic unit and do not make mention of a warranty for the elastomer buffer.

Chris Bartocci (a former Colt employee IIRC) has a short but informative write up on the Colt 9mm SMG, it's development, his opinions, and info on his personal build.
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=3476
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember years ago, shooting a HK USC 45, and the recoil wasn't bad, but then you'd feel this weight slam forward every shot, was very... odd. When you look at most straight blowback rifle/smg systems, they have pretty low mass systems.

I think a lot of things (blowback guns, silencers) depend more on expectations than what the system actually encapsulates.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Test fired it today with the new stock and a .308 carbine spring. It's a marked improvement. I'll have to do some more extensive shooting, but I'll probably have an extra fancy buffer in my future as well.

I also tested the slam fire function of a vintage 12GA pump shotgun I've recently acquired with a hard plastic butt plate. It has slightly more felt recoil
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I had forgotten all about those.  Fingers crossed they eventually make it to production.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My 9mm AR is kind of a dud as well.  Mine is a 5" upper that I shoot suppressed 100% of the time.  It works fine, mostly anyways, but there's a part of me that feels like a jackass putting a stamp on the thing.  It's a very clunky feeling gun when shooting.  It's got like a pound of bolt and buffer bouncing around to and fro when firing, it makes for a very weird recoil impulse.  It looks cool, and sounds good, but just the feel of it doesn't do it for me, I can't really explain it.

I feel like I should have held out for an MP5 clone or an APC9 or something for my PCC SBR fix.
View Quote
I did the exact same thing, and feel the exact same regret
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had forgotten all about those.  Fingers crossed they eventually make it to production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I really don't get the desire to put everything on an AR lower. Seems an SP5K or MP5 clone would be more desirable and practical.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be fixed. I feel the right (hydraulic) buffer/spring/stock combo should make all the difference.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep. I saw it mentioned above and I've reached out to those guys in the past about making them. I would pay serious money for such an upper.
View Quote
How were you able to get in touch with them? I’ve tried to find contact info in the past, without success.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I find the fullauto M16/9 to be far choppier, less smooth in auto than the MP5, MP5K-N, full-size UZI, mini UZI, Sterling, Swedish K, B&T APC9. The recoil impulse is subjectively snappier, not harsh and certainly not punishing in any way. I’m personally not a fan of the M16/9 or AR/9 and will not ever shoot my M16s in 9mm because I have fullauto full-size UZI, MP5-N, and MP5K-N, all of which I prefer over the m16/9.

It’s all very subjective.

I would love to see a RDBB m16/9 upper that incorporates a bolt hold open.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top