Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/3/2020 1:37:47 PM EDT
I've wanted a cut down side by side for more years than I can remember. I bought a Stevens 311a cheap a few years ago to do just that. But kids, life, all that came along and it was never really a need.

Well I got notification last night that silencershop would be offering their form 1 service finally, and I still have a GC from that last adventure so I figured what the hell. I'm just sitting around in a closed down state, may as well have a project to work on and look forward to anyway. I literally just did the paperwork through them so it should be getting squared away.

Having a hard time deciding if I want to either:
Cut it to ~12" barrels and cut the stock shorter
Chop it to ~8" barrels and do a pistol grip only conversion

Going to scroll through some picture threads here for ideas. I filed for the shortest configuration so I'm good either way. what's the suggestion? I already have a 12" 870 and 8" SBR. This would mostly be novelty/range fun but may become a travel gun if I really like it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Always go with a stock. Actually shootable.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steve118:
View Quote

This.

And after you do the SXS, get one of these bad boys...
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MCW:

This.

And after you do the SXS, get one of these bad boys...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317376/SBSA5-1300084.jpg
View Quote

I've been following that thread, and I think they are cool as hell. As soon as I find a donor for a deal I will go that route. I basically have 2 more free stamp filings (I pay tax) so may as well burn them up uselessly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm waiting on a stamp as well. Was planning the 8" route, but will interested to see the group opinion.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with 8" but it's a 20ga.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cajun22:
I went with 8" but it's a 20ga.
View Quote

Pics!

I went with 12 so I could throw the most number of those adapters in there. May stock up on mini shells too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:05:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKrammes] [#7]
I went with 12" with pistol grip in 12ga.  I wanted to copy the one in Road Warrior.  A stock would be easier to shoot, but I just wanted a fun blaster.

Stoger SBS

Why are you going through Silencer Shop?  Just sign up on the ATF website and e-file.  Its quite easy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
I went with 12" with pistol grip in 12ga.  I wanted to copy the one in Road Warrior.  A stock would be easier to shoot, but I just wanted a fun blaster.

Stoger SBS

Why are you going through Silencer Shop?  Just sign up on the ATF website and e-file.  Its quite easy.
View Quote

Awesome, I’ve seen your video and it’s one the reasons I pulled the double trigger.

I’m going with silencer shop because I’m pretty lazy. They already have my prints and pics so it’s just plug and play.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cajun22] [#9]
Unfinished but you get the idea. It was as short as I could go without altering the latching bar in the forearm. Went with 20ga because I traded a $150 pistol for it.
The shell adapters are a cool option. Will have to see if they are available for 20 ga.

" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cajun22:
Unfinished but you get the idea. It was as short as I could go without altering the latching bar in the forearm. Went with 20ga because I traded a $150 pistol for it.
The shell adapters are a cool option. Will have to see if they are available for 20 ga.

https://i.imgur.com/OB8CkrG.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/OB8CkrG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VHCt73l.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/VHCt73l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kOhNI5G.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/kOhNI5G.jpg
View Quote

Ha! That’s awesome! How is it to shoot?
I may try and find replacement barrels and stocks so I can have a few options.

Should I look for adapters (and if so which kind) to shoot other stuff out of it? Or mostly start stocking mini shells?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright, submitted for picture and final sign off today 4/6/2020. Hopefully it comes in sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Stocks are pretty easy to find for a 311

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#/CategoryDisplayName/Gun-Stocks&query=stevens%20311

I keep wanting to do the same, but my 311 was given to me by my grandfather when I was 8 and my dad and I refinished it when I was 16.

Too many memories with that gun to cut it into a toy, but one day I hope to find another cheap one to do so with.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I’d go as short as possible and shorten the stock by several inches.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:34:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steviesterno16] [#14]
There was some issue with the model number in the system since it’s a pre-68. Looks like we got that figured out and I did the ATF submission officially this morning. Funny since I got the email to do so while watching Waco...

Now we wait

Oh I found I have an older limb saver pad that will be about perfect if I cut the stock back by like 5 or so inches. Going to do that when I get a free friggin second
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#15]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
There was some issue with the model number in the system since it’s a pre-68. Looks like we got that figured out and I did the ATF submission officially this morning. Funny since I got the email to do so while watching Waco...

Now we wait

Oh I found I have an older limb saver pad that will be about perfect if I cut the stock back by like 5 or so inches. Going to do that when I get a free friggin second
View Quote

I was watching Waco right after helping two different guys E File for their first NFA items. I got to thinking..... i need to find another shotgun to chop!

One of the guys shot some clays with my Model 11 SBS and bought an A5 a few days later to cut down. Maybe NFA is a virus with no immunities!
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE!

still waiting

there's some drama with the Silencer Shop form 1 adventures and nobody has theirs approved yet. Not sure what's going on, but this isn't my first NFA adventure so I knew it would take a while and suck
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#17]
I just cut one myself. Still working on a couple things, but went with 8.7 inch barrels and a pistol grip. Didn't go overboard with cleaning it up-being Mad Max-inspired(but obviously not a true clone) I wanted to keep it looking somewhat rough, but did sand the rust off the outside of the receiver and paint the barrels so it looks better than it did while I decide on a final finish.

Thought it would be brutal to shoot, but it's not as bad as my 12" .45-70. With minishells it should be downright fun.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I got tired of having the shit kicked out of me by what was originally an AOW and spent the money and had it repapered as a SBS so I could put a stock on it.  That's how much I liked that pistol grip.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#19]
turns out everyone that filed this round through Silencer shop is getting fucked by the ATF and mine was denied on the 12th. royal pain in my ass. thinking about scrapping the whole thing and spending the $200 refund on beer instead.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Why don't you just e-file your own form 4?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captainpooby] [#21]
Originally Posted By steve118:
View Quote

I have the exact gun in theOP cut to 12” with a pistol grip and it’s impractical as fuck. Super front heavy, not easy to carry but it looks cool and intimidating. It would be much better with moar wood on the stock.

This is it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
Why don't you just e-file your own form 4?
View Quote

@JKrammes I went with SS originally because they already have my prints and I didn't have to do much. I hate the .gov website and didn't want to have to deal with it. but now with time to reflect I'm thinking the $200 could be better spent elsewhere. I'll still prolly do it though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:

I have the exact gun in theOP cut to 12” with a pistol grip and it’s impractical as fuck. Super front heavy, not easy to carry but it looks cool and intimidating. It would be much better with moar wood on the stock.

This is it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/SBS_pics_0001_JPG-1360319.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/SBS_pics_0003_JPG-1360318.jpg
View Quote

@captainpooby that looks really cool! did you do all the work?

I know it's an impractical gun, but I'm thinking it might be reasonable to travel/camp with. Not sure if I'm just looking for justification but a small 12 gauge seems like it would be good bear/methbilly repellent in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:47:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captainpooby] [#24]

@captainpooby that looks really cool! did you do all the work?

I know it's an impractical gun, but I'm thinking it might be reasonable to travel/camp with. Not sure if I'm just looking for justification but a small 12 gauge seems like it would be good bear/methbilly repellent in the woods.
View Quote

Yes, I did all the work. I haven't replaced the front sight but I don't think it needs one really.

I cut and refinished the wood, cut and filed square the bbl and used cold blue on the end. Filled the gap between the bbls with JB weld and painted it and made a plug for the stock bolt hole out of JB weld. I painted the receiver with Alumahyde dark grey that came out more like olive drab. I'm disappointed with that but it's growing on me.

Leaving out the discussions of using an NFA weapon for SD I'm not sure what this gun brings to the table. For the weight, you could carry a lot of things with way more capacity and effectiveness. It's not easy to reload fast either, because it's so short, it's hard to manipulate and all that weight out front to hold with that tiny grip. For the intimidation factor, it hard to beat and if you think two shots is all you'll need go for it. (intimidation factor won't work on a bear)

I'm not saying don't build it. By all means do it, I love mine, the cool factor is off the charts.

For a SD weapon, it has drawbacks.

* I went straight to pistol grip when I cut the stock. If you do it, leave the stock length alone for a week or so and see how you like it. Then cut it in stages and fuss with it a week or so each time to see what you like before you go this short. I'll probably buy another stock and make a longer one at some point.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I went the simple route, cut down 2 311's to 18.5 inches. I have them stashed in the house for HD. Not exactly the perfect HD gun, but they would certainly help me get to my AR

I've actually shot them quite a bit. 3 inch #4 buckshot looks devastating on paper and pumpkins.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Yeah I posted about that a few blocks up.

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#28]

@JKrammes I went with SS originally because they already have my prints and I didn't have to do much. I hate the .gov website and didn't want to have to deal with it. but now with time to reflect I'm thinking the $200 could be better spent elsewhere. I'll still prolly do it though.
View Quote

I meant Form 1...  

Its pretty easy.  I dont think it is taking long right now either.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I went and submitted this morning on my own. The website was a pain in the ass, but what can you do?

I guess this is basically starting the clock over again, so I'm getting close to regular paper wait times at this point. Hoping to have this back for my birthday in the fall since we have a camping trip coming up then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:16:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#30]
When I stop my woodworking tool buying spree I plan to F1 my 311... Eventually.

What was wrong with the model number?  Mine was made in 1963.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
mine shows Savage Arms Corporation as the original manufacture, and it's showing in their system as unknown. I included pics but I think the company changed their name to something else after the years ours were made so it's not in their drop down menu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top