Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2020 1:59:34 PM EDT
Hi. Filling out my application and had a quick question.
For Chief Law Enforcement Officer, would I just put the name of the Sherif of my County? (I have a concealed handgun permit through this office)
Or am I supposed to put the chief of police in the town I live in?
There is no clarification on the instructions for the application.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Either will be acceptable.  Both have jurisdiction.  If it were me, I would use the sheriff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Either will be acceptable.  Both have jurisdiction.  If it were me, I would use the sheriff.
View Quote

Yep.  Go for the constitutionally-mandated duly-elected sheriff, not the political-hack city employee.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
ok thanks!
So definitely use my county Sherif? Just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By comma:
ok thanks!
So definitely use my county Sherif? Just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
View Quote

Makes no difference.  it is a notification.

I include a cover letter when I did my 03 FFl or for tax stamps.

says something to the tune of enclosed is my application for X  This is only a notification and requires no action on your part.  feel free to contact me with any questions.

(there's a lot of form letter templates online)

It is an unnecessary step, but it seems to me someone handling paperwork that has never seen it before might want to know what to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
All my forms have the sheriff on them.  I don't include a cover letter when I send the CLEO copy.  Hopefully they just throw it away.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks,
I'll think about the cover letter, but since the official instructions don't mention it I might just not do that.

Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks,
I'll think about the cover letter, but since the official instructions don't mention it I might just not do that.

Thanks for the help guys!
View Quote

It's unnecessary, but so far has avoided the phone call saying....what the fuck is this, we don't want this.

MOST LE agencies in my experience, unless the actual individual officer is pretty deep into the firearms world, really have no clue about non-agency NFA items, FFL 03's, complex ATF interpretations.

They just have no real actual practical application with the stuff and generally they don't run across that stuff all the time, so the default answer is usually, No....that's illegal.

You sometimes have to kinda tell them what your doing, and make it seem like it's their idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jmo371:

It's unnecessary, but so far has avoided the phone call saying....what the fuck is this, we don't want this.

MOST LE agencies in my experience, unless the actual individual officer is pretty deep into the firearms world, really have no clue about non-agency NFA items, FFL 03's, complex ATF interpretations.

They just have no real actual practical application with the stuff and generally they don't run across that stuff all the time, so the default answer is usually, No....that's illegal.

You sometimes have to kinda tell them what your doing, and make it seem like it's their idea.
View Quote

I mean, don't they just have to read the top of the application to see what it is and read the sentence or two that has "ATTENTION Chief Law Enforcement Officer" before it?

I guess what I'm saying is, isn't a cover letter just saying exactly what it is in the application? (saying what it is, and what they need to do or not do?)

But maybe I shouldn't assume they're being thorough haha.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]

I mean, don't they just have to read the top of the application to see what it is and read the sentence or two that has "ATTENTION Chief Law Enforcement Officer" before it?

I guess what I'm saying is, isn't a cover letter just saying exactly what it is in the application? (saying what it is, and what they need to do or not do?)

But maybe I shouldn't assume they're being thorough haha.

View Quote

A lot of people look at things and even though the same text is printed on it....they need it spelled out separated from everything else.....because they don't even read it.

Again its all unnecessary....its all up to you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]

A lot of people look at things and even though the same text is printed on it....they need it spelled out separated from everything else.....because they don't even read it.

Again its all unnecessary....its all up to you.
View Quote

You convinced me. I included a cover letter.
Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#11]

It's unnecessary, but so far has avoided the phone call saying....what the fuck is this, we don't want this.

MOST LE agencies in my experience, unless the actual individual officer is pretty deep into the firearms world, really have no clue about non-agency NFA items, FFL 03's, complex ATF interpretations.

They just have no real actual practical application with the stuff and generally they don't run across that stuff all the time, so the default answer is usually, No....that's illegal.

You sometimes have to kinda tell them what your doing, and make it seem like it's their idea.
View Quote

I found the scenario outlined above to be entirely true. When I applied for my my FFL 03, I personally hand delivered my notification form to my County Sheriffs office where  I had a impromptu sit down meeting with my County Sheriff.
Because I live in a very rural county with a small population over all, my County Sheriff doesn't receive forms like these on a regular basis. Once I explained the form to him and that it required no action on his part, he replied that if BATFE made inquiries about whether I notified him about my application, he would reply in the affirmative.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Your missing the point about local cleo .. It has to do with this statement in the latest form

ATTENTION Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO):  This form provides notification of a person’s intent to apply for a Federal Firearms License(FFL). It requires no action on your part. However, should you have information that may disqualify the person from obtaining a Federal Firearms License, please contact the Federal Firearms Licensing Center toll free at 1-866-662-2750. Issuance of an FFL in no way guarantees the business or activity is not in violation of State and/or local law
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top