Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2020 6:12:17 PM EDT
Hey guys. This is my SBR/turn in 6933 and I am trying to cover up the markings put on by the SWAT/LE agency. The engraving is very light as though lasered on. I mostly want it filled in and just painted over. Not really interested in re-anodizing or anything major.

What would be a good process to fill this in?

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
leave it, its cool
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Filling in marks with paint can be hard to do. I would suggest sand the area with the agency marks smooth then coat it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Mix up a little devcon or steel bed and fill it in. Sand smooth and spray the area with Wheelers ceramacoat. I did that to the stag head on a Stag lower for a friend. Worked great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll need to refinish the whole lower to do it right. I'd just leave it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a toothbrush and solvent and you'll probably get all of the white removed. I doubt the engraving will bother you anywhere near as much when that's gone.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That white showing through looks like aluminum.  Mechanical engraving on anodizing can chip like that.  I'd fill the marking with flat black paint, and rock on...or leave it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
leave it, its cool
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
leave it, its cool

It is cool but the bare aluminum would bug me.

I'd probably just hit it with a paint pen.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I've filled goofy roll marks/logos with JB Weld. Sand smooth once cured.

That particular gun was going to be spray painted anyway, so I didn't really care. But I suppose you could gently "flare" an air cure spray mixture of your choice to get it back to black.

Surprisingly, the JB Weld was super tough, and yet MEK based stripper (used to eventually remove the spray paint) softened the JB Weld right up to where I could just pluck it "out" of the engraved portion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If ever a first post nailed it, this one did.

That would be like filling in NYPD on revolver.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd likely hit it with Aluma-black to knock down the silver tone without it looking like a layer of paint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top