Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2017 12:53:59 AM EDT
I plan on getting my ass in gear soon to finish my CMP requirements to pick up a Garand. Their website states all the differences, but what real practical difference does the extra $100 make? Are the field grades as good of shooters as the service, but a bit uglier?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would get the Service Grade. Better condition
Are these the ones that have been refinished and rebarred
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If this is your first M1, spring for the extra $100 on the Service Grade.  There are some really nice field grade rifles out there, but they are still field grade for a reason.

Here's a SG that I got early this month.  Worth every penny of the $730, and this is pretty standard for SG.

Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this is your first M1, spring for the extra $100 on the Service Grade.  There are some really nice field grade rifles out there, but they are still field grade for a reason.

Here's a SG that I got early this month.  Worth every penny of the $730, and this is pretty standard for SG.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/413673871.jpg
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/413673876.jpg
View Quote
I just ordered 2 Service Grades about a week and a half ago and I was hoping the stocks would be a little better than that.  Oh well.  How long did it take to receive yours?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, ... assuming you can still get SGs, there's no reason to "go cheap" when ordering a CMP M1.

Notwithstanding the possibility of Korean M1s eventually being returned, ... CMP is going to run out of complete USGI M1s of whatever Grade, and once that occurs, you'll only be able to purchase "Special" M1s built from a mix of commercial and remaining GI parts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Mailed on 11/17.  Delivered on 11/28.  This was before the recent "back-order" status of the SG.

The stock could look a little better, but based on the "in the white" chamber and barrel date, it appears to be original finish and barrel.

I still think it's probably a little nicer than the typical SG.  Just not as nice as the fresh rebuilds from SA or LEAD.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
My main thing is they say you could end up with new wood on the service grades. When they say that, does it mean like NEW made yesterday wood, or new as in it just wasn't made in the 40's or 50's? Having new wood on surplus would take some of the fun out of it for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
New as in commercial manufactured for the CMP because they run out of surplus USGI stocks.  CMP Stock

I agree, I personally would rather have a USGI stock with some "character flaws" than a new production stock.  Even though the CMP stocks are pretty, they just don't have any history.

Back during the Greek days, I got a couple rack grades that had a Greek replacement stock- beech or something.  Talking about ugly....
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Service is worth the price if you are only going to have one.

If you're more of a collector, and/or don't mind doing some work to find a GI stock (or fix an ugly GI stock), then Field is okay.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mailed on 11/17.  Delivered on 11/28.  This was before the recent "back-order" status of the SG.

The stock could look a little better, but based on the "in the white" chamber and barrel date, it appears to be original finish and barrel.

I still think it's probably a little nicer than the typical SG.  Just not as nice as the fresh rebuilds from SA or LEAD.
View Quote
I didn't see anything about a backorder?  Hmm interesting.  It's been two weeks and counting for my two
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Ordered a service grade, stickied for a Harrington & Richardson with a donation. Received one of the last HRAs made with an HRA receiver and barrel. Pretty sure stock is an HRA as well. Rest of rifle was a mixture of SA, IHC and HRA. Glad they did not put a new stock on it. Put one clip through it after inspecting and lubing it; shoots like an M1 should. Very pleased with the purchase.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All depends on your use of the rifle.  Or even if you will use it at all.  I doubt we'll be fighting off horde of invaders anytime soon and an issue rifle will be competent for that.

M1s are M1s.  All sold by CMP are in issue-able condition and the "grades" are mainly cosmetic.  I bought mine years (OK decades) ago for historical purposes and only shoot it occasionally.  I suspect few buyers put may rounds thru theirs as well.

New barrels, new stocks, etc. eliminate any originality the rifle may have had.  This may or may not be important to you.  Many guys spend vast amounts of time restoring these rifles to as-issued condition and hunting for "correct" parts seems to be part of the fun.  Collectors note the difference between original and restored rifles.  Other guys just want to pound rounds down range!  

The heavily used rifles often come with some history.  My mid-1942 Springfield came ashore with the 1st Ranger Battalion in North Africa late that year.  How do I know?  She whispered that to me.  

-- Chuck
View Quote
It'd  be user for sure. The way I figure, it's cheaper than a FAL or PTR, more interesting than an AR10, has some history and fun of milsurp, and 8 shots of .30-06 that can be reloaded fairly quick isn't anything to scoff at. I'll use it mainly for just plinking and maybe take it out hunting,
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I was at the Anniston CMP store in October, and by the looks of the field grade rifles on display, I would have been disappointed in one had I ordered it sight unseen.

Many of the service grades had yucko stocks as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I see that CMP has WRA and IHC service grades on their website this am. Limit one to a customer beginning Jan1st. $930 for the WRA and $1030 for the IHC. I'm OK with the HRA I bought for $730.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I personally would rather have a USGI stock with some "character flaws" than a new production stock.  Even though the CMP stocks are pretty, they just don't have any history.
View Quote
I agree. The one I just got has a new stock and I've been looking at my options for getting an original.

Meanwhile, should start soaking BLO into this new stock or leave it alone?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Go service grade unless you want a specific maker or something.  I wanted a Winnie so went field grade.  Although it's cool, compared to my service grade (a nice luck of the draw) and my special (some weird special service or something they had at one point) it's a beater rifle.  I still Iike it for what it is but the service grades coming out lately are amazing guns.

Just put in for a IHC service last week.  Hopefully it still rings true.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The way I look at it the extra $100 is supporting the CMP programs along with a donation .
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I plan on getting my ass in gear soon to finish my CMP requirements to pick up a Garand. Their website states all the differences, but what real practical difference does the extra $100 make? Are the field grades as good of shooters as the service, but a bit uglier?
View Quote
Barrel condition.....

Some are some aren't .... really depends on luck. Some high muzzle wear bbls shoot amazing ..some are awfull.  CMP hasn't downgraded SG-> FG /RG based on appearance in yrs they will just replace bad HG's etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was at the Anniston CMP store in October, and by the looks of the field grade rifles on display, I would have been disappointed in one had I ordered it sight unseen.

View Quote
North store is the same way. I think the fact that the best of the breed get picked each day, leaving the dogs to sit on the shelf, also factors into the average condition you see in the stores.

If you can get there early, you can find some amazing deals. Picked up a 1943 SA Field Grade with ME 1, TE 2, and no stock rattle a few years ago. I walked past about 40 rifles I would not have been pleased to get in order to find it.

Only reason I could see to get a FG by mail order is if you plan to rebarrel, restock, and turn it into a JCG competitor or whatever right away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
North store is the same way. I think the fact that the best of the breed get picked each day, leaving the dogs to sit on the shelf, also factors into the average condition you see in the stores.  * * *

* * * Only reason I could see to get a FG by mail order is if you plan to rebarrel, restock, and turn it into a JCG competitor or whatever right away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

North store is the same way. I think the fact that the best of the breed get picked each day, leaving the dogs to sit on the shelf, also factors into the average condition you see in the stores.  * * *

* * * Only reason I could see to get a FG by mail order is if you plan to rebarrel, restock, and turn it into a JCG competitor or whatever right away.
Well, FG Garands with high MEs make great 'doner' M1s for Shuff's Parkerizing to convert to Mini-Gs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XlYJacucucQ

You can use the original '06 barrel which, after Shuff cuts it down to 16.1", ends up with a new crown and a '0' ME.  That saves you about $200 by not  re-barreling it with a new Criterion tube in '06 or .308.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my field grade I ordered mid Dec.
SA 15672xx
Muzzle 2+
throat 4
Barrel SA 3 45

IHC Bolt
Uncut Op Rod
Saw Cut gas Cylinder
IHC front sight???
50s 6528290-SA trigger housing with stamped guard.

Stock is pretty rough and dark in spots. What could i use to clean it without refinishing? Murphy oil soap?

To answer the OPs Question. This was my first field grade and I am happy. If you want something nice, get a service, if you are cheap and are ok with a rough rifle, get a field grade. A field grade should be very serviceable.

Iv also got a service grade 42 SA with original barrel. Me 2+/te2+.Stock is possibly original with a loose lock up and the gas cylinder was so loose that the rifle didn't reliably cycle. It looks nice and I swapped cylinders with my blue sky beater and now they all work. I also asked for a service grade with a new stock and received a cmp built gun with what looks like a NOS barrel ME 0/Te2 and cmp stock for 730.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SA 15672xx
Muzzle 2+
throat 4
Barrel SA 3 45

IHC Bolt
Uncut Op Rod
Saw Cut gas Cylinder
IHC front sight???

https://i.imgur.com/EutiITy.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/ObIEjPt.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/aax1N58.jpg?1

Stock is pretty rough and dark in spots. What could i use to clean it without refinishing? Murphy oil soap?

To answer the OPs Question. This was my first field grade and I am happy. If you want something nice, get a service, if you are cheap and are ok with a rough rifle, get a field grade. A field grade should be very serviceable.

Iv also got a service grade 42 SA with original barrel. Me 2+/te2+.Stock is possibly original with a loose lock up and the gas cylinder was so loose that the rifle didn't reliably cycle. It looks nice and I swapped cylinders with my blue sky beater and now they all work. I also asked for a service grade with a new stock and received a cmp built gun with what looks like a NOS barrel ME 0/Te2 and cmp stock for 730.
View Quote
So you sent in your order in the middle of Dec 2017 and you've received it already? That seems to be a quick turnaround or is this how fast CMP is working now?
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So you sent in your order in the middle of Dec 2017 and you've received it already? That seems to be a quick turnaround or is this how fast CMP is working now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SA 15672xx
Muzzle 2+
throat 4
Barrel SA 3 45

IHC Bolt
Uncut Op Rod
Saw Cut gas Cylinder
IHC front sight???

https://i.imgur.com/EutiITy.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/ObIEjPt.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/aax1N58.jpg?1

I'm still waiting on my Service Grades I ordered beginning of December
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
By any chance do you have an online account and checked to see if it shows up as a "pending order"? I sent mine in for some Service Grades about Dec 20 and nothing shows up yet. I'm not sure what the timeline is from receiving the order, showing as "pending", and time until it ships.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then again, the ones in the racks and n the store are the ones not hand picked.  After a bit you’ll have a fair amount of rougher guns.  Until they sweep them off the racks and mail them I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#26]
The cmp forums say that the service grades are backordered a few months. I don't remember the exact date I ordered my field grade. Maybe 2 weeks before christmas. Early to mid dec.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
By any chance do you have an online account and checked to see if it shows up as a "pending order"? I sent mine in for some Service Grades about Dec 20 and nothing shows up yet. I'm not sure what the timeline is from receiving the order, showing as "pending", and time until it ships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't sorry, this is my first time ordering from CMP
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The cmp forums say that the service grades are backordered a few months. I don't remember the exact date I ordered my field grade. Maybe 2 weeks before christmas. Early to mid dec.
View Quote
Those guy either don't know or talk in code.

"Back-ordered" could mean CMP is out of SGs completely and won't have anymore to sell until the Army ships them the returned Korean or Phillipeano Garands.

At that point, CMP will inspect and evaluate the condition of these M1s and may find some amount of rifles in there worthy of being assigned "SG" status.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"Back-ordered" could mean CMP is out of SGs completely and won't have anymore to sell until the Army ships them the returned Korean or Phillipeano Garands.

At that point, CMP will inspect and evaluate the condition of these M1s and may find some amount of rifles in there worthy of being assigned "SG" status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they should update their website to "Sold Out" like they do with everything else
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#30]
My understanding is that they have SG rifles there but are going through them. Seems like they get a big batch ready to go and graded and then get hit with a bunch of orders and start going through some more. Back when I bought my first garands it was common to wait a few months in order to get it, then they seemed to have a very quick turn around and sometimes they need a little more time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like they finally charged my CC for my order they received on 12/11, and has a ship date of "ASAP", whatever that means
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like they finally charged my CC for my order they received on 12/11, and has a ship date of "ASAP", whatever that means
View Quote
You'll most likely be getting a visit from Fed-Ex shortly and shooting it this weekend. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did they tell you anything?

I just ordered my first on 12/18 and havent heard anything or seen anything on the E-store?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I just ordered my first on 12/18 and havent heard anything or seen anything on the E-store?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope I didn't get an email from them or anything.  I checked my card this morning and saw the charge, so I logged online and saw the order there.  Still says it's "processing"
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope I didn't get an email from them or anything.  I checked my card this morning and saw the charge, so I logged online and saw the order there.  Still says it's "processing"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,  I was starting to get nervous
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my first time getting one so I don't know how long it takes to go from the card being charged to delivery
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My main thing is they say you could end up with new wood on the service grades. When they say that, does it mean like NEW made yesterday wood, or new as in it just wasn't made in the 40's or 50's? Having new wood on surplus would take some of the fun out of it for me.
View Quote
No it won't.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

. I also asked for a service grade with a new stock and received a cmp built gun with what looks like a NOS barrel ME 0/Te2 and cmp stock for 730.
View Quote
2-55 SA barrel? When I ordered mine a couple years ago that's what I got. Story was, they got a bunch of NOS barrels with that date code at the time. In all reality mine is almost as nice as a Special, other than the triggerguard isn't reparked and it's a GI vs Criterion barrel. It shoots, I'm happy with it, and a good friend of mine has a son saving money so he can order one after shooting mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top