Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2021 8:56:53 AM EDT
Just curious about how many of us field strip our lever action rifles?    Very simple task for AR-15, M-1 etc, but I find the prospect daunting.   I suppose YouTube might help, but curious, annual task?   Clean the rifle "around" it being fully assembled?   v/r W
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Marlins field strip with ease.  Modern Henry's also.  Winchester is a bit more complicated but not bad after you do it once or twice.  I shoot black powder in a couple of my Marlins so they are stripped after each firing session.  The other lever guns get stripped only if the get wet or are carried/used in extreme dust conditions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never field stripped my 92, and do not ever expect to.

If needed I just hose the shit out of it with Ballistol, work the lever and mop up the excess which drips out.

Ballistol be good shit.

I also use strategically placed drops of Slip 2000 to keep everything slipperied up on an if needed basis.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Him....that aligns exactly to my current strategy!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Him....that aligns exactly to my current strategy!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I take my 1892 apart completely. Not much fouling seems to build up anywhere but the bore and bolt face.

It’s just more effective to be able to clean the bore from the rear, but it isn’t worth the trouble to do it on a frequent basis.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
There are a few companies that make quicker detach screws for lever removal (ranger point precision for one) that make taking the rifle down much easier in the field.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be doing it for the first time to get some engraving...glad to hear marlins are easy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never field stripped my 92, and do not ever expect to.

If needed I just hose the shit out of it with Ballistol, work the lever and mop up the excess which drips out.

Ballistol be good shit.

I also use strategically placed drops of Slip 2000 to keep everything slipperied up on an if needed basis.
View Quote

Same here. I use non chlorinated brake cleaner, canned air & motor oil.

Hose til it runs clear. Work the lever.  Hose again.   Spray air. Lube.  Boresnake and done.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two 1894 marlins. They are super easy to "field strip".
Just remove the lever pivot screw and the lever drops out and the bolt comes out the back. Makes it super easy to clean the bolt and clean the barrel from the breech.

Now I agreed to clean a friends rossi 92 once. And all I will say is that when you need a hammer and a punch to disassemble it and remove to bolt, F that thing. Never again. I will never own one of those after that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll be doing it for the first time to get some engraving...glad to hear marlins are easy.
View Quote

It’s stupid easy if you replace the lever standard slot screw with a hand turned one.

I’m not gonna take a new pic of it, but you can see it on the far side in this one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I remove the bolt every time I clean it so I can run a patch down it from the preferred direction. I added an RPP thumb screw to make removing the lever a tool less job.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#13]
My $0.02:

Marlins are easy to field strip so you can clean from the breech.

Winchester 1886, 92, and 94s are a pain to take down. In particular, my Interarms 65 (Rossi 92) is a bitch to get back together.  Unless the action gets full of gunk just clean the bore from the muzzle and use a muzzle guide. If I ever want to clean the action on the 65 again I'll just remove the buttstock, open the action, and hose it out with brake cleaner then relive.

The earlier toggle-locked rifles (1860 Henry, 1866 Yellowboy, 1873, and 1876) are easy to take apart unless you have a modern Uberti with over-torqued screws. However, doing so is generally unnecessary.

If you're shooting smokeless you can clean the bore fine with just a boresnake, unless you have serious metal fouling.

I mostly shoot black powder .44-40 and .38-40 in my rifles. The brass is thin and seals the chamber so that no fouling gets back into the action. E.g., I've put 100 BP .44 WCFs through my 1860 Henry in one session and the action was perfectly clean. If you shoot BP in cartridges with thicker brass (e.g., .38 Special, .357 Mag, .44 Special or Mag, or .45 Colt) you'll probably get BP fouling the action because they don't seal as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It’s stupid easy if you replace the lever standard slot https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40842/FFE070F1-D683-468E-A083-ABB461DD09CF-1584625.jpgscrew with a hand turned one.

I’m not gonna take a new pic of it, but you can see it on the far side in this one.
View Quote

thumbscrew ordered! thanks for the info, I like the ease of it...should have come from the factory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top