Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/4/2018 12:55:40 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with it? It's made overseas, but has overall good reviews. I like the look of it, and that its blade steel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with it? It's made overseas, but has overall good reviews. I like the look of it, and that its blade steel.
View Quote
Is that the Massdrop knife?  It's a Ferrum Forge design licensed and manufactured by WE Knife Company.  While I would be hesitant to ever drop that kind of money on a Chinese-made knife regardless of who was their collaboration partner, I've handled that knife and it's extremely well done.  I wouldn't say it's Sebenza-quality, but it's knocking on the door and if American made would command that price easily.  I can appreciate some of these high-end Chinese makers and their work, but I really get skittish considering more than $100 for an import from China.  I do like the design and I don't think you'll be disappointed, just know while it's made in China, it's not anywhere close to "WalMart" production quality and is actually rivals some of the quality coming out of Europe.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll let you know soon.  I bought one.

I got out of blade collecting several years ago, but I'll snatch something that catches my eye.

From all of the user reviews I've found, the sole complaint has been the pocket clip.  This was corrected on the latest drop according to Ferrum Forge.

It was a surprise to see that the Chinese are getting high marks for QC.  When I collected they were to be avoided.  We'll see if things have changed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll let you know soon.  I bought one.

I got out of blade collecting several years ago, but I'll snatch something that catches my eye.

From all of the user reviews I've found, the sole complaint has been the pocket clip.  This was corrected on the latest drop according to Ferrum Forge.

It was a surprise to see that the Chinese are getting high marks for QC.  When I collected they were to be avoided.  We'll see if things have changed.
View Quote
I decided to buy one too. I hate the pocket clip on it. I result to just dropping it in my pocket. I'll try to see if 8 can get the new one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I decided to buy one too. I hate the pocket clip on it. I result to just dropping it in my pocket. I'll try to see if 8 can get the new one.
View Quote

Same.  With a knife of this size, it should lay in the pocket pretty easy.  May not even need the clip.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The knife arrived today.

I'll post some pics, but initial impressions are good.  Grind lines are even, blade centering is perfect, lock up is solid with no blade play.

The pocket clip is not my favorite.  They could've gone with a simpler design like the sebenza uses and been better off.  Clip looks good, lacks functionality.

The blade thumb hole simply isn't useable.  This knife is strictly a flipper.

The grip design is unique and initially attracted me to the knife.  Finger choil on the blade and thumb rest are functional and allow for fine tip work if needed.  You can use a traditional grip and my pinky just rests on the bottom edge of the grip.  Jimping on the blade spine works well.

All in all I'm pleased.  Very impressed for Chinese manufacture.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics as promised. Some comparison pics with my 10 year old small regular sebenza.

Nice pouch.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Now put a ziptie through the thumbhole.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now put a ziptie through the thumbhole.
View Quote
Impromptu thumb stud?

I'm afraid you'll have to explain.  I'd considered making a thumb stud for this thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I am literally the last man who would ever think that China can compete with high end manufacturers, well I’m here to tell you that I own over 4K just in high end folders and what I am seeing out of WE and Kizer is absolutely on par with the best out there.  These two companies are producing very high end knives. The 2 Kizers and 3 WE knives in my safe are damn near perfect with centering, incredible actions, fittings and finish.  I admit I bought their more high end models though.  They make my 2 Striders look inferior, sad but true.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am literally the last man who would ever think that China can compete with high end manufacturers, well I’m here to tell you that I own over 4K just in high end folders and what I am seeing out of WE and Kizer is absolutely on par with the best out there.  These two companies are producing very high end knives. The 2 Kizers and 3 WE knives in my safe are damn near perfect with centering, incredible actions, fittings and finish.  I admit I bought their more high end models though.  They make my 2 Striders look inferior, sad but true.
View Quote
This is my first WE knife. My first Chinese made knife I'd consider for edc.  I'm impressed for $124.

When I collected, it was strictly semi-custom and custom stuff.  Sold or traded most of it off.

Kept a few things, but only 5 or 6.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is my first WE knife. My first Chinese made knife I'd consider for edc.  I'm impressed for $124.

When I collected, it was strictly semi-custom and custom stuff.  Sold or traded most of it off.

View Quote
You're still going to get those guys that will talk shit because their made in china
, but these are reasonably priced and aren't the cheap knock offs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're still going to get those guys that will talk shit because their made in china
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not concerned with the naysayers really.  Knife collectors are a funny bunch.

A US-made frame lock of this quality would cost 3 times as much and may/may not be to the same level.

I don't know about S35VN blade steel.  Lots of new steel has come out since I got out of collecting.  I'm curious to see how it sharpens.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top