Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2018 3:08:41 PM EDT
I am having issues fitting a USGI wood stock to my rifle. I have a USGI Fiberglass on it now and that fits tight. I tried two different GI birch stocks and cannot get the receiver to fit in at all. It appears that the legs of the receiver are a bit too wide. I know Fed Ord  Receivers are not to gi spec but the fiberglass stocks fit great. Anybody ever deal with this issue? Any help would be welcome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That's strange.

One would think that if the barreled receiver fit into a synthetic USGI stock, then the same barreled receiver would fit into a USGI wood stock as well.

Now, is it possible that the wood stocks you tried absorbed moisture at some point and swelled up, thus causing the receiver legs to bind?  Have you tried a couple of different wood stocks?

You may need to measure the dimension of the receiver legs to see how out of spec they are and make a decision as to whether it's worth having them ground down evenly to spec, or just finding a good receiver and replacing the one you have.  I just consulted The U.S. .30 Caliber Service Rifles (A Shop Manual Volumes I & II) by Jerry Kuhnhausen, and I don't see those dimensions mentioned in the text or illustrations.  Maybe I'm overlooking them.

Maybe just keep it in the USGI synthetic stock you have and call it good.  How does it shoot?  Does it pass a full function check?

Is the rifle made up of USGI parts, or are the parts Chinese?  If the parts are USGI, it may be worthwhile to replace the receiver with one that's forged and within specifications for geometry, materials, and hardness.  I have three LRB receivers and they are awesome.   I've heard very good things about JRA and Bula Defense too (next build will be with a Bula Defense).
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's strange.

One would think that if the barreled receiver fit into a synthetic USGI stock, then the same barreled receiver would fit into a USGI wood stock as well.

Now, is it possible that the wood stocks you tried absorbed moisture at some point and swelled up, thus causing the receiver legs to bind?  Have you tried a couple of different wood stocks?

You may need to measure the dimension of the receiver legs to see how out of spec they are and make a decision as to whether it's worth having them ground down evenly to spec, or just finding a good receiver and replacing the one you have.  I just consulted The U.S. .30 Caliber Service Rifles (A Shop Manual Volumes I & II) by Jerry Kuhnhausen, and I don't see those dimensions mentioned in the text or illustrations.  Maybe I'm overlooking them.

Maybe just keep it in the USGI synthetic stock you have and call it good.  How does it shoot?  Does it pass a full function check?

Is the rifle made up of USGI parts, or are the parts Chinese?  If the parts are USGI, it may be worthwhile to replace the receiver with one that's forged and within specifications for geometry, materials, and hardness.  I have three LRB receivers and they are awesome.   I've heard very good things about JRA and Bula Defense too (next build will be with a Bula Defense).
View Quote
Polytech M14 receivers are forged and USGI spec dimensions, something Springfield hasn’t been able to say for a very long time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My rifle was built in the 1980's from a USGI parts kit and early 4000 serial range Fed Ordnance receiver so no chinese parts. USGI fiberglass stocks fit fine but I had one GI birch stock partially fit and this current stock a walnut will not even allow the receiver legs to go in. I was thinking of sanding the inside of the stock a little at a time until I get a snug fit. I don't want to mess with the receiver as the rifle runs fine and USGI Fiberglass stocks fit fine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a nice rifle. If it were me, (I prefer wood) I'd use the stock relieve it where it needs relieved or go through the trouble and bed it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My rifle was built in the 1980's from a USGI parts kit and early 4000 serial range Fed Ordnance receiver so no chinese parts. USGI fiberglass stocks fit fine but I had one GI birch stock partially fit and this current stock a walnut will not even allow the receiver legs to go in. I was thinking of sanding the inside of the stock a little at a time until I get a snug fit. I don't want to mess with the receiver as the rifle runs fine and USGI Fiberglass stocks fit fine.
View Quote
For what it's worth, I have one of the Federal Ordnance rifles like yours, as in all GI, and it runs fine as well.  Bought it new directly from Fed Ord about 1989.  It came in a fiberglass M14 stock, and I've had it in a couple of different wooden M14 stocks, birch and walnut.  The wood stocks fit quite a bit more snugly, as in rubber mallet tight.  Anyways, I always hated the selector cutout, and all the fake replica doodads looked even worse.  Fulton Armory offers good quality current production walnut stocks without the cutout.  I suppose Boyd makes them, not sure.  I bought one several months ago, put my own metal on it and with just a little bit of work and some Tung oil it turned out great.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Polytech M14 receivers are forged and USGI spec dimensions, something Springfield hasn’t been able to say for a very long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's strange.

Someday, I'll find a heal-marked Chinese M14 clone and buy it;  I've wanted one for a long time.  I do want to install USGI parts.

My bank account / wallet hates me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Freds M14 stocks are available in differant grades .
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:...I was thinking of sanding the inside of the stock a little at a time until I get a snug fit. I don't want to mess with the receiver as the rifle runs fine and USGI Fiberglass stocks fit fine.
View Quote
Yes. You should definitely start cutting on the cheapest part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top