Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2022 8:25:55 AM EDT
Picked up an SF M640DF light for that 1500 lumen goodness and now have a micro USB rechargeable 18650 in the house.

Always wanting to have a spare, what's a good rechargeable 18650 for flashlights or IR devices such as the PERST-2. The P-2s came with their own rechargeable 18650s, but I presume those are Russian manufactured and likely to blow up or give me cancer in the long run so I'm planning to use something else and consolidate on a single brand for consistency.

So, which micro USB or cradle charger 18650s do we like?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a lab full of items that caught fire due to their 18650s failing.  Source them at your own peril.  Direct from the Koreans would be best.  I would never buy some random 18650 off the internet and slap it into a handheld device.  they contain hand grenade levels of energy.  

In general, battery packs are going to be safer than individual 18650s because they are more likely to have hardware to prevent damaging discharge/charge conditions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Orbtronic.

Buy Direct.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Tenergy and EBL work great for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Illumn.com

I run the Flat-Tops in a Jerry-C. Turned on to them by Nick Chen.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Panasonic NCR18650B in anything that is not high rate discharge  

Lithium fire, particularly the hydrofluoric acid aspect scares the fuck out of me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a forum called "candlepowerforums.com" where people way smarter than me geek about these things.  You will want to ensure whatever cell you pick is undamaged and has some regulated circuitry built in.  I have had good success with Keeppower brand - I run them in IR-X extenders for a REAP and IR Hunter.

Recoil can be hard on batteries.  I'd suggest paying a little extra to buy direct from major manufacturers (Panasonic, Samsung, etc.) to ensure you're not getting a counterfeit cell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Keeppowers for me. No issues in Trijicon MKIII and Nox35.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Keeppower or any name brand cell that's protected.
If your going to be heavily invested in 18650's, buy a good charger too, as a lot of the package deals come with a crappy charger.

SJC
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 Surefire 18650 batteries due to buying a M640DF and a M600DF, I then bought multiple Modlite 18650 batteries as spares and they work great and last a little longer than the Surefire battery due to not having a built in charger which reduces the battery size to compensate for that usb charging port.
I also have Cloud Defensive 18650 batteries as they are unprotected circuit batteries as my Jerry-C5 external battery pack only use unprotected 18650. I also stripped two of my Modlite 18650 batteries to be spares for the Jerry-C's battery pack and Modlite batteries are re-branded KeepPower 18650 and when I stripped the circuit protection on these batteries they are LG Chem 18650s.
As for my battery charger, I use a Nitecore D2 charger.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a lab full of items that caught fire due to their 18650s failing.  Source them at your own peril.  Direct from the Koreans would be best.  I would never buy some random 18650 off the internet and slap it into a handheld device.  they contain hand grenade levels of energy.  

In general, battery packs are going to be safer than individual 18650s because they are more likely to have hardware to prevent damaging discharge/charge conditions.
View Quote

Sounds like you have some experience, both good and bad, with 18650s.

When you say "Direct from the Koreans would be best" to what brands are you referring?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 2 Surefire 18650 batteries due to buying a M640DF and a M600DF, I then bought multiple Modlite 18650 batteries as spares and they work great and last a little longer than the Surefire battery due to not having a built in charger which reduces the battery size to compensate for that usb charging port.
I also have Cloud Defensive 18650 batteries as they are unprotected circuit batteries as my Jerry-C5 external battery pack only use unprotected 18650. I also stripped two of my Modlite 18650 batteries to be spares for the Jerry-C's battery pack and Modlite batteries are re-branded KeepPower 18650 and when I stripped the circuit protection on these batteries they are LG Chem 18650s.
As for my battery charger, I use a Nitecore D2 charger.
View Quote

Apologies for the ignorance, but what's the difference between protected and unprotected?

While browsing around I also saw some 18650s have the bump usually found on smaller batteries while others don't. Any reason to this or does it play into the protected vs unprotected thing?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds like you have some experience, both good and bad, with 18650s.

When you say "Direct from the Koreans would be best" to what brands are you referring?
View Quote

samsung, but it is difficult at best to reliably source those in consumer level quantities.  There are many fakes out there that are good enough to fool OEMs.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Apologies for the ignorance, but what's the difference between protected and unprotected?

While browsing around I also saw some 18650s have the bump usually found on smaller batteries while others don't. Any reason to this or does it play into the protected vs unprotected thing?
View Quote

While I'm not a lithium battery expert, with the little amount of research I did on the difference between the two it looks like the protected circuit is just to add a layer of protection of common dangers such as: overcharge, over discharge, short circuit/over current, and temperature.
https://www.fenix-store.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-protected-and-unprotected-18650-batteries/
I don't know what "bump" you are talking about, but like the Modlite/PowerKeep 18650 has a slight bulge down the battery's length from top to bottom, this is the wire for the circuit protection and this wire bulge would interfere with my Jerry-c's power pack battery tube as it is too thick.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I think your referring to the button top type.
Read about the battery differences here.
18650 battery info
The Epoch zombie case is a nice case to store them in too.

SJC
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think your referring to the button top type.
Read about the battery differences here.
18650 battery info
The Epoch zombie case is a nice case to store them in too.

SJC
View Quote

Correct. I was talking about some having the usual button top while others are smooth on both ends.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Panasonic cells have long track record of reliability. 3400mah are cheap. If you get flat tops and they wont work in your device a small bead of solder on the top cap works well or a small magnet attached will work to raise the contact area. Most any charger with good reviews works fine. 1amp charging is safest. Some high amp chargers get hot and can cause fires. I have never had problems. Orbtronics, Illumn, batteryhookup, jag35 all good sources. Stay away from grey samsung cells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top