Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2021 10:33:49 AM EDT
Hey guys, dear old dad is looking for a thermal unit for under 2K that has a color display and a better unit than this TAM-7 we bought at knob creek. His current choice is the ATN THOR 4 384 1.25-5X scope because he likes his ATN X sight. Its price is 1999.99, just wondering if there is a better choice right around that target price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:20:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
look at the hogster line of thermal optic. Great real world reviews and prices.

Bering Optics Hogster-R video of Texas Cattle at various distances

I don't that I would buy an ATN...returned all the ATN products I tried.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The AGM TS25 are in stock at many places is selling for right at $2k. It comes with a free TM160 handheld scanner with Outdoor Legacy Gear Christmas/New Years sale

OLG is beyond good to go.

my hunting buddy has the tm35 and tm160. The tm35 image is pretty good & I'd put the $$ there every day before rolling ATN dice. It isn't as clear as a standard hogsterr35 in humid weather but if the budget is what the budget is then it's a valid option. The tm160 isn't a nox but it's actually pretty handy and the price is right in that deal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I think i have him ready to buy a Hogster 25, but how does it compare to the AGM linked above, thats a great looking deal, but how does it perform?
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
I think i have him ready to buy a Hogster 25, but how does it compare to the AGM linked above, thats a great looking deal, but how does it perform?
View Quote

I just picked up a used Super Hogster after a few months of research.

From what I've gleaned, the general consensus re: AGM and Bering is that AGM has better looking background detail(i.e. trees/fields and immaterial if all you care about is shooting/spotting animals), while the Bering has a much better/longer warranty, and is serviced in the US.

Don't think you can go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep seeing Bering is made in the USA but is it really?

For the price they have to be using foreign components which is fine as long as they stand behind the product.

I too am looking for a introductory thermal weapon sight. 2k is the absolute limit for me.

How good/bad is the Bering stimulus?
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
View Quote

AGM has a 3 year warranty like ATN. Neither has stellar records of customer service if you believe the internet. AGM warranty repair is usually a 1/1 swap for a major component failure. Bering has a 4 year warranty and decent customer service site in TX.

The Hogster has the option of adding a 16650 battery cap. Its nothing to some, it's significant to others. The AGM does not.

The hogster 35 has a better image than the TS35 in poor thermal conditions like high humidity. I was still fine scanning with the hogster when he said his optic image  was unusable at our 150yd area of interest. The hogster line is definitely remarkable in those environments but you have to decide if you even want to be out in them to see any benefit from it. It's always sack stick to the inside of your leg or ice freezing to your eyebrows type deal when it really makes the most difference.

The AGM produces a better background detail than the Bering algorithm. That is a big this to some but not to others. I've personally never cared to hunt background trees but my buddy does say that he can range estimate better with it. Again, not a thing to me because it's a short range optic IMO and external ballistics of an intermediate cartridge don't care.

The added utility of that hand held is a pretty big thing to me though and IMO you have to weigh it against the utility of a better rifle scope image in poor conditions. The handheld is not going to be crystal clear but it's proven fairly effective for him at locating target sized animals out to 200 or so and then he gets on the scope to ID them quickly.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
This video comparing a few Hogster/Rattler models should help illustrate differences:

Thermal Image Hogster vs Rattler 50 to 150 yards
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
He ordered the Rattler at the deal losted above where you get a free thermal monocular. I look forward to using it and the monocular, both should be an upgrade from the TAM-7 unit we have.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
that pretty cool do they just make scopes or do they do goggles to
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I want a Ferrari under $50K, but neither is gonna happen
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
A very helpful thread.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:59:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DD1801] [#14]
I know its an old thread, but AGM warranty is now a 5 year transferrable warranty.  I don’t have first hand knowledge, but reviews have said the mount included with the AGM Rattlers (single throw QD by ADM) is way better than the mount included with the Bering Optics Hogsters (35R).  Although most vendors selling Bering Optics have options for an upgrade to either Larue or one other brand.  

The access to the USB and battery compartments seems better on the AGM Rattlers as well.  

I’ll see if I can find a decent video review showing these comparisons.

Video:
Agm rattler 35 vs the hogster 35r
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure how B&H is on service but they have a deal with a free thermal monocular with the TS35-384 now. $2495.00
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1671152-REG/agm_3092455005th31_rattler_ts35_384_compact_medium.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
Not sure how B&H is on service but they have a deal with a free thermal monocular with the TS35-384 now. $2495.00
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1671152-REG/agm_3092455005th31_rattler_ts35_384_compact_medium.html
View Quote

$2095 now. I ordered one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DD1801:
I know its an old thread, but AGM warranty is now a 5 year transferrable warranty.  I don’t have first hand knowledge, but reviews have said the mount included with the AGM Rattlers (single throw QD by ADM) is way better than the mount included with the Bering Optics Hogsters (35R).  Although most vendors selling Bering Optics have options for an upgrade to either Larue or one other brand.  

The access to the USB and battery compartments seems better on the AGM Rattlers as well.  

I’ll see if I can find a decent video review showing these comparisons.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBSP1ASwSYs
View Quote

I have both of these, plus a Super Yoter.

I can argue the pros/cons about the Rattler vs the Hogster.  I like them both.  The Rattler does come with a better mount than the Hogster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bud:

I have both of these, plus a Super Yoter.

I can argue the pros/cons about the Rattler vs the Hogster.  I like them both.  The Rattler does come with a better mount than the Hogster.
View Quote

Looking at the new super yoter LRF. What are comparable units?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Shiff:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

NICE!

Looks like OLG has dropped the price as well.
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collections/agm-rattler-thermal-rifle-scope/products/agm-rattler-ts35-384-2-2-17-6x-thermal-rifle-scope?variant=32634582302794
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Shiff

How do you like the 35?   I’m in between the 25 and the 35. Going to mostly ride on a block ii.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shiff] [#21]
@Duck_Hunt

So far I've only sighted it in. Weather has been warm so I've been waiting for it to cool off a bit before I take it out. It's the first thermal I've handled so I don't have anything to compare it to but I don't think I'd want a lesser model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top