Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2020 5:18:09 PM EDT
Has anyone ever come across a fake zenith MP5 clone?  I found the exact one I want on my local armslist but the price seems a bit too good to be true.  After all it is armslist and I’m fully aware it could be a scam.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely just a scam.

If someone was going to go through the trouble of counterfeiting the markings why would they do MKE/Zenith and not HK?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I’m pretty sure it was a scam. The ad location said the same city as me, but when I emailed they were suddenly 5 hours away and said they could ship to my FFL and accepted PayPal.

I’ll just keep looking for one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Another common thing to look for with AL, is images that are the exact same pics from current / recent GunBroker listings, but in different cities / states and "to good" prices.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, one big red flag for me is unregistered users for AL with no city, just the state, and prices too good to be true.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Its not a fake zenith. Theres no gun to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another common thing to look for with AL, is images that are the exact same pics from current / recent GunBroker listings, but in different cities / states and "to good" prices.
View Quote
I have had several of the photos from my gun listings on EE and other forums taken and used in armslist scams.

if it's being sold on Armslist I just assume it's a scam...
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
After being scammed on Armslist once before (for a Zenith, ironically), I won't use it to buy anything from a private individual. FFLs only.

Honestly, ARFcom is the only place where I'd feel comfortable shelling out firearm money sight unseen. People here honor their commitments by and in large.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Armslist is fine but only for face to face deals. You are wasting your time or gambling big time on anything otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I'd google image search the pictures to see if they're used anywhere else. That's the first sign it's a scam.

I'm amazed how many buyers from out of state contact me when I post on Armslist. I always post hoping to do a deal local but I will ship if someone actually trusts me and will pay shipping. People must be lucky I'm an honest seller because I've shipped parts out 3 times from Armslist deals. I also make sure the buyer is legit before shipping.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
The owner of Arms List talked to me at SHOT show once. I told him everything on there is scam and he didn’t really care. He started to talk and I walked away. He didn’t like that...
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 3:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After being scammed on Armslist once before (for a Zenith, ironically), I won't use it to buy anything from a private individual. FFLs only.

Honestly, ARFcom is the only place where I'd feel comfortable shelling out firearm money sight unseen. People here honor their commitments by and in large.
View Quote
Face to face deals, cash and carry
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Was ready to send cash for a Walther TPH (.22 pistol) but it was covered in engraving and I really wanted a shooter.

And it looked oddly like a gun on Gunbroker.

Asked the seller if he could take some more pics from different angles.

He sent pics of a non engraved gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there even any kind of penalty / consequences for scammers on armslist? Seems like there's no structure..even gunbroker will refund your money if you get scammed (after a super long crapp process, but still)
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Armslist is fine but only for face to face deals. You are wasting your time or gambling big time on anything otherwise.
View Quote
x2
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is there even any kind of penalty / consequences for scammers on armslist? Seems like there's no structure..even gunbroker will refund your money if you get scammed (after a super long crapp process, but still)
View Quote
No, you're effectively on your own with Armslist. Your bank can help and/or you can take it up with law enforcement, in which case I believe Armslist will pass along whatever info they have on the scammer (which I'd imagine is very limited).

The EE here is about the only place I'd do a transaction sight-unseen now a days. Everyone I've transacted with has done right by the terms of the sale.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]
There was a Gideon Shadow listed on my local Armslist for sale a few months ago, I had contacted the seller and said I would take it. He responded back with a where are you located and when I told him he said he was in Tampa about 5 hours away and would take a PayPal and ship to my ffl. I told him thats ok I will be in Tampa over the weekend and can meet up and buy it then. He had acted like I never said that and just wanted me to paypal. I knew it was a scam and fucked with him a while. Asked for pics he sent me pics from Atlantic Firearms website, asked for different pics and he pulled them from HKPro. Point is fuck Armslist unless its ftf and cash.

BTW the scammer I had the run in with goes by the name BigSnoz and he is still posting on there all over the country.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There was a Gideon Shadow listed on my local Armslist for sale a few months ago, I had contacted the seller and said I would take it. He responded back with a where are you located and when I told him he said he was in Tampa about 5 hours away and would take a PayPal and ship to my ffl. I told him thats ok I will be in Tampa over the weekend and can meet up and buy it then. He had acted like I never said that and just wanted me to paypal. I knew it was a scam and fucked with him a while. Asked for pics he sent me pics from Atlantic Firearms website, asked for different pics and he pulled them from HKPro. Point is fuck Armslist unless its ftf and cash.

BTW the scammer I had the run in with goes by the name BigSnoz and he is still posting on there all over the country.
View Quote
That's the cretin who tried to scam me as well. He can get fucked. Thankfully my bank alerted me to suspicious activity and cancelled the transaction before it went through.

He had pictures of the Zenith serial number, which I (stupidly) took as sufficient proof of ownership.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#18]
the first clue is Armslist, rofl...  I am a big fan of used private sales, I don't even bother looking at Armslist. Just full of scams, is it the only website allowed in Nigeria or some shit?  Its so bad.  I miss backpage so much for gun sales.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Its not a fake zenith. Theres no gun to begin with.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top