Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2022 4:14:06 PM EDT
has a lmited supply of rack grades available. You pays your money and takes your chances, no returns.  Says they checked headspace with a field gauge and test fired. Throats 5 and muzzles 3+.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
$650.

Someone should buy one and post pictures
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm leery given the description.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm leery given the description.
View Quote

I am too. But the longer I think about it how could you go wrong at $650?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a FYI.  We placed an order on October 16th, 2021.  Just got the email today:

"We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # _____. The order will not show as pending on the estore  until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

The shipping time will be determined by the amount of orders ahead of your order.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Mr. Dakota Wiseman

CMP Sales Associate

Civilian Marksmanship Program

256-835-8455 ext 332

[email protected]"

6 months from mailing the order to being placed in the process.  According to recent information processsing to shipping could take from 2 weeks to over a month or so.  Still happy to be able to purchase one.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
kinda hanker for another one but I am happy with the 1 winchester Service grade I got for 495 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I was eligible. I no haz M1.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Tempting but I am nervous about the description as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to order one. I'll post a report when it shows up.

Ship is sailing on cheap garands and I don't know how I could lose money on the rifle with current clown world pricing at the local guns shows if I don't like it. A battleworn, beater garand would be cool, maybe I'll get backordered and upgraded.

How that for rationalization?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wish I was eligible. I no haz M1.
View Quote

Check the CMP website. You can join something IIRR for $25 bucks a year to meet eligibility requirements
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going to order one. I'll post a report when it shows up.

Ship is sailing on cheap garands and I don't know how I could lose money on the rifle with current clown world pricing at the local guns shows if I don't like it. A battleworn, beater garand would be cool, maybe I'll get backordered and upgraded.

How that for rationalization?
View Quote

I thought about doing that but I've ordered 2 "Expert" Garands this year and that'll hold me on my Garand fix. I'd be tempted if they offered "Service" level models but these are too chancy IMO
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Are these going to have USGI stocks?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#14]
 I rolled the dice and put in for 2. I will post pic's when I get them. I want one to send to shuff for the mini g treatment. If I can find a.308 barrel.
 I may be waiting along time with the CMP sucking up barrels.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Springfield special.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Whats the story on this one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That looks like the rifle recovered on Makin when they found Marine KIAs

https://www.guns.com/news/2016/08/18/wwii-marine-raiders-m1-undergoing-preservation-at-navy-lab-4-photos?msclkid=9d7cad38c5b411ec928d7ea47b9b0929
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

RTI collectors grade
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just a FYI.  We placed an order on October 16th, 2021.  Just got the email today:

"We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # _____. The order will not show as pending on the estore  until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

The shipping time will be determined by the amount of orders ahead of your order.

Mr. Dakota Wiseman

CMP Sales Associate

Civilian Marksmanship Program

256-835-8455 ext 332

[email protected]"

6 months from mailing the order to being placed in the process.  According to recent information processsing to shipping could take from 2 weeks to over a month or so.  Still happy to be able to purchase one.

View Quote

I had put my order in august and recivied that email last week. They also gave me the option to upgrade to a service grade for $100 which i did. Today the Fedex man dropped off 2 nice looking boxes for me to open when i get home from work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had put my order in august and recivied that email last week. They also gave me the option to upgrade to a service grade for $100 which i did. Today the Fedex man dropped off 2 nice looking boxes for me to open when i get home from work.
View Quote

Let's see 'em. There have been some really nice service grades showing up recently.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Can you imagine if you were waiting for a year or, more and it finally showed to only open the box with glee & excitement and see this or, worse.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Let's see 'em. There have been some really nice service grades showing up recently.
View Quote

Only have 1 pic at the moment.

April 1942 build ME: 2, TE: 3

The other is a december 1942 build with a ME: 0+, and TE: 1
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guy on fb Garand page, recovery from the Bastogne area. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The last service grades I got in Oct. were pretty pitted receivers with nos barrels.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered 2.  Mailed in the paperwork Monday; it got to Anniston Wednesday.

I'm hoping they won't be too bad, but I am expecting some pitting (after what I've been reading here and on CMP forums).

I'll try to remember to post pics when they get here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I also put in an order for one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can you imagine if you were waiting for a year or, more and it finally showed to only open the box with glee & excitement and see this or, worse.
View Quote

Just a crap rifle- I'd be pissed. THAT rifle belongs in a museum.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Would it be worth taking the chance on one of these for a first CMP rifle? I’d mainly want one as a casual shooter.

If I sit this run out, how often have different grades been popping up these days?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would it be worth taking the chance on one of these for a first CMP rifle? I’d mainly want one as a casual shooter.

If I sit this run out, how often have different grades been popping up these days?
View Quote

I wouldn't get my hopes up for any more grades popping up soon. Since these are selling as is with no returns I'd go the extra money and get the Expert grades. They cost more but if it's your only Garand worth the extra money IMO. I've 2 and happy with both

1st Expert

2nd Expert

I did swap the op rod on the 2nd for 1 with no pitting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#30]
With what CMP is offering currently, finding a local rifle for sale or Gunbroker may be a better option if you are patient and know what to look for.

I gambled on a rack grade. As long as the receiver is serviceable I will be happy. Anything else that is decent on it will just be a bonus. Based on a few samples I see them sending as service grades lately, I suspect these rack grades will be very rough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:10:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wouldn't get my hopes up for any more grades popping up soon. Since these are selling as is with no returns I'd go the extra money and get the Expert grades. They cost more but if it's your only Garand worth the extra money IMO. I've 2 and happy with both

1st Expert

2nd Expert

I did swap the op rod on the 2nd for 1 with no pitting.
View Quote

I remember they had mid grade rifles with new barrels not too long ago, field or service “specials” I think. I really should have jumped on one of those with the .308 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
With what CMP is offering currently, finding a local rifle for sale or Gunbroker may be a better option if you are patient and know what to look for.

I gambled on a rack grade. As long as the receiver is serviceable I will be happy. Anything else that is decent on it will just be a bonus. Based on a few samples I see them sending as service grades lately, I suspect these rack grades will be very rough.
View Quote

I must have won the luck of the draw, the 2 service grades i just got in were almost perfect, very small pitting spots on the trigger housing and 1 small spot on the op rod near the handle. Other then that they were quite good. 1 even had 0 muzzle erosion the other was a 2
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I must have won the luck of the draw, the 2 service grades i just got in were almost perfect, very small pitting spots on the trigger housing and 1 small spot on the op rod near the handle. Other then that they were quite good. 1 even had 0 muzzle erosion the other was a 2
View Quote

Service grades were a good deal. However, they don’t currently offer them. Your choice is a expert with commercial parts and possible severe pitting on the receiver or a rack grade that has a dismal description.

Yesterday a 2000’s CMP HRA went unsold on Gunbroker. It was one of the unused matching HRA’s in a CMP stock they sold from the Greek returns. To your door it was only $400 more than an expert.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my confirmation email today:

We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is (XXXXXXXX). The order will not show as pending on the estore  until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it.

If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Wish the field grades people receive were posted here or on the cmp forums
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#37]

That's a Field Grade Garand.  I would expect to see less pitting under the receiver for a field grade.
On the positive side.  the numbers on the barrel seems pretty good at 0 and 1 for ME and TE.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]

I bet it shoots well.  Unfired barrel from 1955.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Got the 'Don't Bug Us' email today from CMP.

Also, they are still showing available according to the website.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I got the DBU email yesterday….these rack grades are being shipped faster than other grades that I’ve seen.  It took me 8 months to get a service grade, I ordered a field grade, but they offered to upgrade after they ran out of field grade rifles.

I had a HRA from Arlington Ordnance, one of the Korean returns from the 90’s.  Shot well after I rebuilt the trigger group, but it didn’t gauge well, but still grouped. Sold it when I got a divorce as it was a present from the ex. The service grade is a HRA, have all the manufacturers now, this rack will be an extra.

If you’re on the fence, order one, and if you get a dud, you can flip it at a local gun show…..and make a few dollars…
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#41]

It's a June 1942 receiver.  If I didn't already have USGI March 42 field grade and June 43 service grade-both Springers, I'd probably buy it if I was wanting a Garand.

I don't like the new stock they put on that rifle though.  Happy I got mine back in 2006/7.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Based on what I received, they look like the worse condition parts were assembled into rifles. They are a mismatch of pitted parts, some painted, some lightly reparked and others still coated in a thick layer of corrosion. There is a few internal parts that are decent condition. Most the parts and receiver would have been scrapped if the rifle was sent to a US arsenal for rebuild.

I would not recommend one unless someone was looking for a cheap beater rifle that goes bang or something to mill into a cutaway.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I ordered six....I have two. One Service Grade for myseld and an older Field Grade for a future kid.     I wanted another 1 (or 2) for future kids (planning 3 possibly).

I figured I'd need six to maybe get two serviceable guns.  And even in bad shape I can dump the other four for what I paid at the very least.  

Ended up spending $1200 for a field grade here on the EE.  Worth paying a bit more to get something solid.

I'll post an impression when mine get here....supposed to be here three days ago but Fedex is being its normal effecient self.....I swear, Fedex and the government were made for each other.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I have 3 ordered, maybe I get lucky
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Based on what I received, they look like the worse condition parts were assembled into rifles. They are a mismatch of pitted parts, some painted, some lightly reparked and others still coated in a thick layer of corrosion. There is a few internal parts that are decent condition. Most the parts and receiver would have been scrapped if the rifle was sent to a US arsenal for rebuild.

I would not recommend one unless someone was looking for a cheap beater rifle that goes bang or something to mill into a cutaway.
View Quote

That is a pity re the bad condition parts.   The CMP blew out parts about 7(?) years ago.  If they kept more of them then they could have overhauled the rifles as in the past.

The end is near!

The no returns but is not sounding good.  Of course people abused that for years so here we are.  I returned 2 CMP rifles, the first was my first one and I didn’t want it replaced, I couldn’t get a clip to load in it, there didn’t seem to be enough room somehow and being a newb I called them up, it was likely a tolerance stacking issue or something I couldn’t decipher at the time.   The second return was a Winchester greek return.  It shot terribly bad.  I couldn’t figure it out until I noticed the barrel was brazed to the receiver.   Yes brazed.   I am betting it was one of the many off spec winchesters that slid through during the war that had a short receiver face and was made to work with a fitted barrel at the factory.  Decades later some Greek armorer needed to replace a barrel and none in his pile of new barrels would draw tight.   Well brazing likely has shit harmonics.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Got my two.  The one might clean up ok.  The stock is good.  Barrel gauges pretty good.  There is a fair amount of light pitting above the wood and more serious pitting below the wood.  All in all the condition isn't too bad.  The other has a rougher stock.  The pitting is worse but still not terrible.  The barrel swallows the gauge at the muzzle.  It's a 1945 receiver but the barrel is a December 1940 date which I thought was interesting.  

The service grades I received recently were a much better value but these are ok.  The one I may keep as is. The other I'm not sure about.  Rebarrel maybe?  The December 1940 barrel though pretty warn might be worth something to the right person.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#48]
One of my recent field grades has a SEVERELY pitted receiver and the other came with a new stock that looks like it was made in some 8th grade shop class.

Still a value and still good parts, and they might be good shooters, but they're scraping for sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty impressive the stock is that ate up but the sling is still holding on!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top