Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2019 11:50:16 AM EDT

SO

i got this mystery mauser carbine thing that's been rebarreled at the factory by FN to chamber .308. It does not have many markings on it besides the belgian crests/proof marks and the fabrique nationale etching on the receiver. The receiver, bolt, and barrel all have a matching serial number in the 3 digit range. It is partially covered in some kind of black lacquer finish instead of bluing. The area where the crest should be doesn't have any indentation and is smooth.. leaving me to believe it never had one to begin with.

it was imported by samco and labeled as a model 1935 but those are rare so i doubt it. I think it is a m1950 of some sort that was issued to morocco or the phillipines or something (name on stock is 'Alas Rivera' which points to hispanic?)

anyway i got no idea and would appreciate some help by someone with that fancy fn mauser book maybe
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#1]
It does appear to be a FN M1950 Carbine.  These were sold in various batches to a number of different countries for police and military use during the 1950s, mostly in .30-06 and .308.  Only a couple of the contracts included crests on the receiver, while the others were left unmarked, so there are a number of crestless carbines like yours.  And many were finished in a black enamel, like yours.

Unfortunately, FN's records are spotty on these M1950 carbine sales.  And without a receiver crest to point towards a specific country, there's no real way to know where yours ended up.  Unmarked M1950s are commonly referred to as "Moroccan carbines", since Century Arms got a batch of them out of Morocco in the 1990s, but that's just collector shorthand for "unknown contract unmarked M1950 carbine".
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
First post seems to have nailed it. Morocco and Columbia were two buyers of these rifles in .308 and .30-06, respectively, IIRC. No other military buyers come to mind immediately.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Morocco and Columbia were two buyers of these rifles in .308 and .30-06, respectively, IIRC. No other military buyers come to mind immediately.
View Quote
Venezuela too.

Funnily enough, according to the recent FN Mauser book, there's apparently no evidence of a Moroccan contract with FN for M1950s.  (Although as previously mentioned, FN's records are spotty, and we know that they were sold to more than just Columbia and Venezuela, just not specifically to whom.)

So considering the load of M1950s plucked from Morroco, they either did buy some on contract from FN, or else they acquired a batch from some other country that was selling theirs off.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Been considering selling it but I am unsure what someone would even give for it considering it's not the most aesthetic mauser, but it does have matching parts that function well.. and there's not too many of them out in the world from what i gather.

Since the history is ambiguous it probably wouldn't hurt to refurbish it back to how it may have originally looked. I don't imagine it's worth that much, i have seen some sell for 600 but none higher than that unless they were immaculate and with a crest.

edit: i haven't tried shooting match grade through it either, it is an 18" barrel so it might be surprisingly accurate or just average. i'll probably shoot it first and decide if i want to keep it. lightest mauser i've ever picked up honestly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:37:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been considering selling it but I am unsure what someone would even give for it considering it's not the most aesthetic mauser, but it does have matching parts that function well.. and there's not too many of them out in the world from what i gather.

Since the history is ambiguous it probably wouldn't hurt to refurbish it back to how it may have originally looked. I don't imagine it's worth that much, i have seen some sell for 600 but none higher than that unless they were immaculate and with a crest.

edit: i haven't tried shooting match grade through it either, it is an 18" barrel so it might be surprisingly accurate or just average. i'll probably shoot it first and decide if i want to keep it. lightest mauser i've ever picked up honestly.
View Quote
if you do decide to sell it IM me since Im looking for this exact rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top