Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 5:16:48 PM EDT
I have an FN 509 Tac and recently installed an apex trigger. I took it to the range for the first time with the apex today and noticed something weird.  When the slide is locked back, and I insert a fresh mag, I cannot slingshot the slide to put it into battery. I have to use the slide release on the frame. I could have sworn i was able to do that with this pistol before but i can't remember for sure. I looked at some youtube videos and it appears it should be able to do that.  Everything else works fins with the trigger and locking back on empty.

Any ideas? Can someone who owns a 509T see if yours allows you to slingshot on reload?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes sir, mine will.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes sir, mine will.

Doc
View Quote
hmm. Maybe I put a sping in wrong somewhere. Does your slide release spring downward or can it lift up out of the frame without spring pressure?

If I push up on the slide release it stays up like this. i suspect this is my problem.

Is this spring shown here in the same place as yours?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I think I solved the problem. When I installed the trigger, I didn't put the spring leg on top of the slide release bar.   [facepalm]
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
@aeroworksxp

How hard was the install on the trigger?

I just got a 509 Tactical and already have the Apex trigger.

I have watched all their videos and it looks doable but I'm a little worried about the unlock block pin.

I would consider ordering one of their fixtures but they are out of stock.

How difficult was the whole process?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@aeroworksxp

How hard was the install on the trigger?

I just got a 509 Tactical and already have the Apex trigger.

I have watched all their videos and it looks doable but I'm a little worried about the unlock block pin.

I would consider ordering one of their fixtures but they are out of stock.

How difficult was the whole process?

Thanks
View Quote
@TN-MadDog
Overall it wasn't bad. Took about 20 min.

The block pin was a pain in the ass, I won't lie.. I had a lot of trouble initially when hammering. Very hard wouldn't budge it. My mistake was the gun was resting on a spool of duct tape and I was at my kitchen table. I suspect their was too much give going on.

I grabbed a spool of electrical tape (mine was much very solid compared to other tape) and went to work bench. After 3 whacks the pin came right out. The rest was cake. Just make sure your punch is squared perfect as to not mar up the area around pin.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@TN-MadDog
Overall it wasn't bad. Took about 20 min.

The block pin was a pain in the ass, I won't lie.. I had a lot of trouble initially when hammering. Very hard wouldn't budge it. My mistake was the gun was resting on a spool of duct tape and I was at my kitchen table. I suspect their was too much give going on.

I grabbed a spool of electrical tape (mine was much very solid compared to other tape) and went to work bench. After 3 whacks the pin came right out. The rest was cake. Just make sure your punch is squared perfect as to not mar up the area around pin.

Good luck!
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. I just got my pistol yesterday and my RMR came today and haven't even shot it yet.

I'm going to put enough rounds through it to make sure it is good to go before I do something that might void the warranty.

Hope to do that in the next couple days and then give it a go with the trigger.

I would like to have one of their pin removal jig/fixtures but they are out of stock for about 3 weeks and I probably won't have the patience to wait that long.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I just got my pistol yesterday and my RMR came today and haven't even shot it yet.

I'm going to put enough rounds through it to make sure it is good to go before I do something that might void the warranty.

Hope to do that in the next couple days and then give it a go with the trigger.

I would like to have one of their pin removal jig/fixtures but they are out of stock for about 3 weeks and I probably won't have the patience to wait that long.
View Quote
I am sure you will be fine. Just dive in head first.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my trigger installed today.

Wasn't too bad, just a bit nerve wracking dealing with some of the pins.

Also, the parts are much smaller than they look on the video.

Trigger feels soooooo much better. Well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got my trigger installed today.

Wasn't too bad, just a bit nerve wracking dealing with some of the pins.

Also, the parts are much smaller than they look on the video.

Trigger feels soooooo much better. Well worth it.
View Quote

Congrats! and welcome to the Apex club  By far this 509 is my fav.  So much so i am considering buying the fn 509 midsize when the FDE comes out. I have heard you can use the 509T slide on the midsize frame too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my apex also. Sent and had them do it for free. Sent 2 and only cost 30$ piece shippy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top