Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Some additional progress!

https://youtu.be/TALlhP4vTU0

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, talked with FLIR a few days back. PTS536's have started to ship in small qty's. They are working on getting back orders out from 2017.
View Quote
How is some random guy in Texas getting his hands on one from a dealer in New York before TNVC has these?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
What camera did you buy?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How is some random guy in Texas getting his hands on one from a dealer in New York before TNVC has these?
View Quote
I think I just watched a YouTube video you were referencing? That looks like a lot of scope for $3800 to me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the Boson 320 60hz with 9.1mm lens (the 6.5mm probably would have been better for this application but wasn't available at the time)
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the 640 using the same dumpster fire of a housing?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the 640 using the same dumpster fire of a housing?
View Quote
What's wrong with the housing?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What's wrong with the housing?
View Quote
Ill cross post from another thread in regards to the Breach housing.

The real problem with lining up the PVS14 and a Breach on a bridge or any kind of dual mount is that the housing for the breach is a total shitshow. Not only are the rails completely out of spec; they are even different variances of themselves. Some are tapered, some are too wide, some are too narrow. Add that to the housing not having the rails (regardless if in spec or not) actually line up with the center axis of the unit causes the ocular to shift up/down/left/right depending on which rail you mount it on. But wait, there's more! The eye relief needed to actually see the screen is way different than what you'd have for your PVS causing you to either figure a way to mount the Breach much further away from your face (rails don't allow that because of how they were designed with a set screw at a predetermined position).

Basically, the only way I was able to even remotely make it work was to mount the unit on its totally out of spec rail almost completely forward (its a feature that the rail was so out of spec that it has a locking grip in the mount that holds it) and having to mount it on a rail that puts the unit with a vertical orientation (not good) as well as having to max out the left/right adjustment on the RQE bridge to get it to actually sit in front of my eye. If I would have tried to mount it to where the unit was oriented to be horizontal, the ocular was entirely too high/low.

The only other way to get this to work would have been to basically adjust the helmet mount up/down/left/right every time you used the Breach and then adjusted it back up/down/left/right to line the PVS up again; which is an epic fucking fail.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
What copter is that?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
My PTS 736 arrived today. Its one big bitch.

Interesting note. There is no mention of BT connectivity in the manual or any literature that I've found, there is one mention using wireless remote control in the quick start card but nothing else. The scope does indeed have BT connectivity. And you can connect using the Flir OTS app. You have to be in STBY mode, the app gives you control of the main settings, gives you a satellite view of the direction you're oriented in. The ballistic calculator is anemic and doesn't pull WX data for your GPS coordinate like Ballistic AE does. There is a remote control listed on the Armasight webpage, they are $99. They are a duplicate of the top button panel of the scope.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What copter is that?
View Quote
Inspire 1.

Nice job on the Boson mount.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My PTS 736 arrived today. Its one big bitch.

Interesting note. There is no mention of BT connectivity in the manual or any literature that I've found, there is one mention using wireless remote control in the quick start card but nothing else. The scope does indeed have BT connectivity. And you can connect using the Flir OTS app. You have to be in STBY mode, the app gives you control of the main settings, gives you a satellite view of the direction you're oriented in. The ballistic calculator is anemic and doesn't pull WX data for your GPS coordinate like Ballistic AE does. There is a remote control listed on the Armasight webpage, they are $99. They are a duplicate of the top button panel of the scope.
View Quote
The app is pretty useless in my opinion. My range and orientation will not change other than y axis giving me degree of angle. It's range is stuck on 1900 yards and made my phone glitchy as hell. I would think an optic of this cost would have a good Bluetooth connectivity and video out to phone. Hell, a $500 atn digital NV optic has that feature.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The app is pretty useless in my opinion. My range and orientation will not change other than y axis giving me degree of angle. It's range is stuck on 1900 yards and made my phone glitchy as hell. I would think an optic of this cost would have a good Bluetooth connectivity and video out to phone. Hell, a $500 atn digital NV optic has that feature.
View Quote
I agree. I haven't been able to get the Armasight app version to work but at least it could serve as a remote. Sucks that the apps don't pull in the weather data from your gps coordinates for the ballistic calculator. That feature is just about worthless. Hopefully they will get their game together as more product becomes available.  
Need to come up with a solution for the big floppy bucket sized lens cap.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I agree. I haven't been able to get the Armasight app version to work but at least it could serve as a remote. Sucks that the apps don't pull in the weather data from your gps coordinates for the ballistic calculator. That feature is just about worthless. Hopefully they will get their game together as more product becomes available.  
View Quote
The Bluetooth connectivity is seamless and fast but like I said, the app and Bluetooth option are completely useless. Without a video out option, the app is not going on my phone.
Does anyone have any idea on what the settings are set at to achieve the images like on the tnvc website? Specifically the image of the house with the sharpness and contrast to give such clarity?
Mine is the 233 so my cap ain't that big of an issue.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Does anyone have any idea on what the settings are set at to achieve the images like on the tnvc website? Specifically the image of the house with the sharpness and contrast to give such clarity?
View Quote
Ran across this Armasight video on setup which may help you

ARMASIGHT THERMAL SCOPE SETUP HOW TO
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ran across this Armasight video on setup which may help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMOuxNpbPg
View Quote
Thanks! Operators manual kind of sucks on these things.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks! Operators manual kind of sucks on these things.
View Quote
Also, try the Outdoor preset as it has some of the key settings bumped up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Butler creek makes a flip up cap that fits 75mm and 42mm lens Armasights.   I don’t have the part numbers handy though.   It’s a nice upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Butler creek makes a flip up cap that fits 75mm and 42mm lens Armasights.   I don't have the part numbers handy though.   It's a nice upgrade.
View Quote
I'll look for it, the rubber cap is annoying.
Had all of ten minutes after the rain storm to have a look around. I had no issue getting the level of detail that TNVC has on their product page. I used the outdoor preset. Holy crap the zoom! No issue spotting aircraft over head. As for the clarity, it's no joke. Mind you all I have to compare it to is my PVS-14 I'll get the LRF out and make some measurements so I know factual distances but yotes won't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Also, try the Outdoor preset as it has some of the key settings bumped up.
View Quote
Outdoor scene with black hot is what I am using  on my breach and PTS until they get the user defined setting issue corrected where it will maintain the values between power cycles.

It seems to work pretty good for me in Mississippi under a variety of conditions. I just turn it on and go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I can tell you this, the photos captured by the scope are in no way representative of what you see in the viewfinder. The resolution and detail that you see is insane. The only way to accurately capture the view to the eye is to couple a camera to the viewfinder.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can tell you this, the photos captured by the scope are in no way representative of what you see in the viewfinder. The resolution and detail that you see is insane. The only way to accurately capture the view to the eye is to couple a camera to the viewfinder.
View Quote
I've noticed the same thing about the pictures generated by the scope, but I believe the video file that is created by the scope is dang near every bit as good of quality as what I see through the viewfinder? I'm sure it's not an identical one to one ratio but it seems to produce an excellent quality video file to me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually, recording via USB using VLC is pretty close to what you see in the viewfinder.  Of course the computer screen, which varies from computer to computer, is different than the FLCOS so not exactly the same.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]
So I've noticed that I get a little image pause or stutter while panning around looking. The image just freezes for less than a second. It's not a NUC because it always gives you a countdown before doing that. I don't seem to recall a pause the first time out with it but I wasn't doing a lot of panning about either. Normal?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy is having a weird problem with his Breach. When the unit is in a menu and the device is rotated 180 degrees the whole thing powers down. Anyone have a solution?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So I've noticed that I get a little image pause or stutter while panning around looking. The image just freezes for less than a second. It's not a NUC because it always gives you a countdown before doing that. I don't seem to recall a pause the first time out with it but I wasn't doing a lot of panning about either. Normal?
View Quote
The nuc does not countdown the first 5 min the unit is on and it's warming up.  Once it's warmed up then the nuc will count down.  Listen carefully and you will here the click of the shutter....if it is freezing and no shutter sound then you have an issue..
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I had to send my PTS233 off for repair recently. It was returned yesterday and I called in to ask about a firmware update for the unit.

Was told there is a firmware update but they took it off the website for "compliance" whatever that means.

Additionally, I was told the firmware update would be made available via a link to download via email.

I didn't ask how to get a link to firmware update but assume it would be made for individual requests to customer service?

Maybe someone here knows more about this than I now do?

Pretty good customer services turnaround time. I emailed a request for service on June 14, and unit was returned July 2.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The nuc does not countdown the first 5 min the unit is on and it's warming up.  Once it's warmed up then the nuc will count down.  Listen carefully and you will here the click of the shutter....if it is freezing and no shutter sound then you have an issue..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are two things that command a NUC...the Boson core, and the Breach electronics.  One will count down and the other will not.  No idea why FLIR decided not to select one or the other.  If Boson controls it, there is no countdown.  If Breach controls it, NUC may not happen as reliably as it should.  The Boson NUC parameters can be changed using the Boson Windows app.   I assume the Breach monitors FPA temp and initiates the NUC when the parameter meets/exceeds some criteria.  Might be good enough, but if Heineken is seeing a NUC with no countdown, then something is not right.  Not going to affect performance, just no NUC imminent warning.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had to send my PTS233 off for repair recently. It was returned yesterday and I called in to ask about a firmware update for the unit.

Was told there is a firmware update but they took it off the website for "compliance" whatever that means.

Additionally, I was told the firmware update would be made available via a link to download via email.

I didn't ask how to get a link to firmware update but assume it would be made for individual requests to customer service?

Pretty good customer services turnaround time. I emailed a request for service on June 14, and unit was returned July 2.
View Quote
"Compliance" probably refers to Global Trade Compliance (GTC).  Seeing as the PTS is an ITAR product, my guess it's an export issue.  FLIR has been in hot water since entering into the consent agreement with the State Dept.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I just bought 5 FLIR Breach.  I'm super excited
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just bought 5 FLIR Breach.  I'm super excited
View Quote
You bought five of them or was that supposed to be an "a"?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know what flir did to my unit, but the image quality is significantly better than it was prior to me sending it off. I guess there was more dust on the sensor that I realized.

And it seems that they have corrected the issue I described where the user defined settings did not maintain their value.

I've not gone through all of the twists and turns identified in an previous email to them but a quick check outside showed that the contrast setting when adjusted to 175 kept that same value and showed the same image between a power cycle.

I'll try and check the gain setting on outdoor alert later tonight to see if he image reacts so greatly from a one number movement the way I think I had previously described in this thread.

To reiterate, there appears to be a firmware update that might be made available if you request it formally.

Im pleased.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't know what flir did to my unit, but the image quality is significantly better than it was prior to me sending it off. I guess there was more dust on the sensor that I realized.

And it seems that they have corrected the issue I described where the user defined settings did not maintain their value.

I've not gone through all of the twists and turns identified in an previous email to them but a quick check outside showed that the contrast setting when adjusted to 175 kept that same value and showed the same image between a power cycle.

I'll try and check the gain setting on outdoor alert later tonight to see if he image reacts so greatly from a one number movement the way I think I had previously described in this thread.

To reiterate, there appears to be a firmware update that might be made available if you request it formally.

Im pleased.
View Quote
Interesting, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are two things that command a NUC...the Boson core, and the Breach electronics.  One will count down and the other will not.  No idea why FLIR decided not to select one or the other.  If Boson controls it, there is no countdown.  If Breach controls it, NUC may not happen as reliably as it should.  The Boson NUC parameters can be changed using the Boson Windows app.   I assume the Breach monitors FPA temp and initiates the NUC when the parameter meets/exceeds some criteria.  Might be good enough, but if Heineken is seeing a NUC with no countdown, then something is not right.  Not going to affect performance, just no NUC imminent warning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have used 3 different breach units....and all 3 when first turned on and NUCing often did not have any countdown.  Once unit was on a few minutes then the NUC would always have a countdown.  Maybe you have a more recent firmware then the ones I used and own.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Im pleased.
View Quote
Can you look in your setup menu and post the software revision that it shows so the rest of us know whether to email and ask for an update?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
So I need a firmware update to solve the problem of the user picked valves not staying selected? I sat out with a buddy for 8 hours last night who has a 233 as well and we both had issues with the image quality and values not staying selected.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I did figure out last night that the setting issues are not totally resolved.

The first issue I noticed when I first got my scope involved the gain setting in conjunction with Outdoor alert pallet.

I prefer to turn the gain way down from the factory setting to remove most of the color washout on the surroundings. The number now correctly locks in place when the scope is turned off/on but it still seems to boot up to a default value that is much higher than what is indicated by the setting adjustment number.

As soon as I make one digit change in either direction it will result in a dramatic move in the amount of gain being applied assuming I had previously adjusted the gain way down.

When I sent my unit for service I also asked them to check the focus. I can now see tool marks in the spanner wrench slots on the front face of the lens housing so I know someone put a tool on it and possibly made a fine-tune adjustment.

It was either a focus issue, or contaminated sensor, or both on my PTS233 as it did come back with a sharper image.

I never knew there was more information, scroll down to the last item under settings entitled FW. Press the center button one time and it will reveal to additional software versions  never knew there was more information, scroll down to the last item under settings entitled FW. Press the center button one time and it will reveal to additional software versions

FW: PCMC1711161358
SW version: 2173
Boson SW version: 2.0.13115

EDIT TIME:

Im sorry, I made a typo.  mine also reads PB just like yours does.

I could never get the representative who I was dealing with to tell me if the firmware was updated or not. I assumed it was because they definitely made a change that now holds value constant between a power cycle.

He has sent me a link where I can sign on and join some sort of online share folder where I can find the firmware Patch, but currently the folder is empty.

He suggested that I try and install the firmware Patch to see if my unit would actually take it or not to verify.  As soon as he gets my account squared away, intend to do that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I did figure out last night that the setting issues are not totally resolved.

The first issue I noticed when I first got my scope involved the gain setting in conjunction with Outdoor alert pallet.

I prefer to turn the gain way down from the factory setting to remove most of the color washout on the surroundings. The number now correctly locks in place when the scope is turned off/on but it still seems to boot up to a default value that is much higher than what is indicated by the setting adjustment number.

As soon as I make one digit change in either direction it will result in a dramatic move in the amount of gain being applied assuming I had previously adjusted the gain way down.

When I sent my unit for service I also asked them to check the focus. I can now see tool marks in the spanner wrench slots on the front face of the lens housing so I know someone put a tool on it and possibly made a fine-tune adjustment.

It was either a focus issue, or contaminated sensor, or both on my PTS233 as it did come back with a sharper image.

I never knew there was more information, scroll down to the last item under settings entitled FW. Press the center button one time and it will reveal to additional software versions  never knew there was more information, scroll down to the last item under settings entitled FW. Press the center button one time and it will reveal to additional software versions

FW: PCMC1711161358
View Quote
I just checked my pts233 which I pre ordered, difference is in bold

FW: PBMC1711161358
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Any news on 640 breach coming fall 2018 or is that idea lost in space?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
My 736 is the same.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sorry, see my edit above. I am the same FW as you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I just got the firmware files installed.

FW: PBMC1805041435
SW Version: 2360
Boson SW Version: 2.0.14857

I just turned the gain setting way down on outdoor alert to value number 25 which is what it took to eliminate the washed out trees and asphalt in the hot sun. Powered off the unit and powered back on to discover that it now works correctly and correctly remembers both the value and the function of the value upon restart.

Sorry for any confusion earlier.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just got the firmware files installed.

FW: PBMC1805041435
SW Version: 2360
Boson SW Version: 2.0.14857

I just turned the gain setting way down on outdoor alert to value number 25 which is what it took to eliminate the washed out trees and asphalt in the hot sun. Powered off the unit and powered back on to discover that it now works correctly and correctly remembers both the value and the function of the value upon restart.

Sorry for any confusion earlier.
View Quote
Now just tell us how you got the files and updated it?

Also have you noticed any improvements in the new firmware?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Now just tell us how you got the files and updated it?

Also have you noticed any improvements in the new firmware?
View Quote
Likewise. PM if it's not public info.

ETA IIRC updating required simply copying a .BIN file to the directory on the scope.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry, I thought I mentioned it earlier. When I sent my scope in for repair the person I was dealing with told me there was an update, but he told me it was not available for anonymous download on the website, he had to send me a link via email to a file folder service similar to Dropbox.

If you want to do this, the only way I know of is to make a formal request by email and or telephone to the flir OTS department.

I'll need a little time behind the screen to know if there's any other improvements to the general operation, but I'm very pleased with the settings working correctly on my scope now.

I always preferred to use the outdoor alert setting, and I'm hopeful that I will be able to adjust the gain down to a point that will work reliably without having to go back into the settings every time.

We'll see?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Likewise. PM if it's not public info.

ETA IIRC updating required simply copying a .BIN file to the directory on the scope.
View Quote
Yes. Copy bin files (two files) to scope one at a time, unplug scope and wait for scope to load first file.

It will ask  if you want to install update, you select yes and let it do it's thing. It will reboot when complete.

Then copy the second file to scope and do the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Confirmed that you will need to call with your s/n because it is an ITAR regulated commodity. No issues tho, they will send an email invitation to download the files within 24 hours.
Thanks for doing the legwork on that Wildfowler.

ETA. Did you copy the OTS_pts233.bin file first or second? @Wildfowler
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#49]
The fellow who I have been working with just called me back and said there is also an update for the breach that he is sending me.

I asked if I was allowed to share files.

No.

But I can share his email if you feel like your request go unanswered.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I called and spoke to Denise and she sent me the Dropbox link but no instructions. I downloaded both files but I'm not sure which one to copy to the scope first.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top