Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m normally excited about the new thermal products at ShowShow, but now I just want last years shot show products to start shipping in decent volume.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm normally excited about the new thermal products at ShowShow, but now I just want last years shot show products to start shipping in decent volume.
View Quote
Hahah

me too!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
https://youtu.be/3bL62nKnbXo

Breach video announcement!

http://www.flir.com/ots/breach/ new info here
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Exciting News.  Now we wait for an estimated release date.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
$500 more and less features, so much for a years worth of improvements.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, and I still want one damit! I had the old Q-14 336 it needed a few improvements at the time, however was wicked small and cool. It’s a tiny pocket thermal mono everyone needs one for their pocket
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't see the price, what is it/where?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
FB Page

“We we're excited to announce a series of products, the one pictured, FLIR Breach is $2495.”
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone comment on how FLIR products price in terms of actual retail vs MSRP?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on how FLIR products price in terms of actual retail vs MSRP?
View Quote
I think that FLIR is a MAP manufacturer.

The PTS233 hasn’t been on shelves enough to be seen much below MSRP. Optics planet did sell some in the $1700 range for Black Friday weekend but I don’t think many dealers are going to cut into prices that much. That may have even been below cost for all I know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Well - what was the msrp for the pts233 when it was announced?  from a historical price standpoint we could figure out (or close to it) what they may retail for...
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm guessing everyone will know more after SHOT is over. I'll find out what I can.
View Quote
Forgive me if I don’t take anything FLIR says during SS at face value. Otherwise we’d all have weapons capable $1995 Q14Bs already.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Forgive me if I don’t take anything FLIR says during SS at face value. Otherwise we’d all have weapons capable $1995 Q14Bs already.
View Quote
I have it on good authority that Flir got back from SHOT 2017 and realized that making the Boson Q14B weapons-mountable was a mistake, because it would cut into their TWS sales. They intentionally removed the reticle to make sure they could sell us a monocular and a scope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have it on good authority that Flir got back from SHOT 2017 and realized that making the Boson Q14B weapons-mountable was a mistake, because it would cut into their TWS sales. They intentionally removed the reticle to make sure they could sell us a monocular and a scope.
View Quote
which was obvious to everyone, despite the vehement denial by a few here - insisting that the Q14 having that extra capability would be terrible for all users because it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated $10k TWS.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't believe Angelo does that video with a straight face....

Here is what I showed you last year...but now it's not weapons capable, over a year past due....and msrp went up 500 bucks.

..seriously...what a shit show.

I can't believe they didn't at least have someone else do the video...it's like twisting the knife.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
which was obvious to everyone, despite the vehement denial by a few here - insisting that the Q14 having that extra capability would be terrible for all users because it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated $10k TWS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No crap huh? Flir does not walk on water then despite their unofficial spokespersons saying otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to agree overall FLIR should have left the weapons crossarrows inside. That said I owned and used the old model Q14 just before FLIR bought out Armasight. I bought the 336 Q14 to carry at work in my day pack since it was super lite weight, worked as a monocular and in a pinch could be used was a weapon sight even though not a ideal weapons system from my testing.

I had two issues with Q14 as a weapon site first being the weapon mount sucked and second the back eye optic didn’t  have hardly and eye relief for weapons use. You needed to be right on top of it to get a good picture. FLIR would need to fix both those issues before I would buy another for weapon site use, however I would buy another for monocular use it’s crazy tiny and cool overall.

I ended up going to the IR Patrol 300 and also added the Reap-IR  later on both of them do all the same things much  better overall. Both the  Wilcox and DLOC mounts are way better and the IRD back PVS-14 glass gives decent eye relief.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is anyone really shocked by this. Its almost ALWAYS about money and never about the customer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#25]
IWANTMUHSUPERWIDGETCAPABILITY!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is anyone really shocked by this. Its almost ALWAYS about money and never about the customer.
View Quote
Shocked? No. And I may even still buy one. After using a MTM PAS-23, I am super jived about such a compact thermal.  I would love to have it stowed up on my helmet and easily flop it down over my right eye.

JRH's comments are spot-on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can't believe Angelo does that video with a straight face....

Here is what I showed you last year...but now it's not weapons capable, over a year past due....and msrp went up 500 bucks.

..seriously...what a shit show.

I can't believe they didn't at least have someone else do the video...it's like twisting the knife.
View Quote
Try not to take it out on Angelo.  He's just doing his job.  He's a good guy and just making the best out of a less-than-ideal situation.  I'd wager a lot changed when Armasight took over the PVS segment.  I still believe there were export issues that played a part in removing the reticle from the original concept design.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have to agree overall FLIR should have left the weapons crossarrows inside. That said I owned and used the old model Q14 just before FLIR bought out Armasight. I bought the 336 Q14 to carry at work in my day pack since it was super lite weight, worked as a monocular and in a pinch could be used was a weapon sight even though not a ideal weapons system from my testing.

I had two issues with Q14 as a weapon site first being the weapon mount sucked and second the back eye optic didn’t  have hardly and eye relief for weapons use. You needed to be right on top of it to get a good picture. FLIR would need to fix both those issues before I would buy another for weapon site use, however I would buy another for monocular use it’s crazy tiny and cool overall.

I ended up going to the IR Patrol 300 and also added the Reap-IR  later on both of them do all the same things much  better overall. Both the  Wilcox and DLOC mounts are way better and the IRD back PVS-14 glass gives decent eye relief.
View Quote
I used the 640 q14 and like you found it to be wanting as a scope.  I’m not sure cutting the price to $2500 or whatever makes it any more attractive.....it doesn’t to me.   I don’t get it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the Breach(Q14) just fills a limited role as a micro monocular when size and weight matters more than battery life and features. I don’t think the new breach will ever fill the role as a bigger more featured monocular such as the Helion, Patrol and etc for hunters.

The breach will be small and handy, but run through single 123A  batteries like kids at the candy store. Folks looking to make a full service hunting mono out of it will be disappointed. Guys looking for a micro mono for packing around and limited use will be thrilled with it.

I may buy a Breach but Given the choice I would buy the PT233 scope with a better lower profile/bulk single through lever mount. The scopes small enough,, dual batteries and much better outdoor useful range wise with 19mm lens plus can be used as weapons sight and monocular both.

Just my thoughts after owning the Q14 take them for what they are.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m glad I used a q14 before making a mistake in buying one.  You nailed it it’s a niche product.  I can see it being a nice second scanner helmet mounted on a stalk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I tried the Q14 helmet mounted also and wasn’t impressed. A PVS-14 works way better for moving around, that said just for sitting on stand and scanning hands free the Q-14 worked well for that. Battery life was a huge negative during cold weather I wouldn’t get 30 minutes run time on a single 123A.

Not trying to be a bummer just giving folks a idea of what to expect when the breach starts shipping. It has a lot of pluses the size/weight being number 1. The Q14 also was build very well didn’t have a cheap feel at all to it very solid overall. The controls and menu were easy to use I never had a issue there. The breach pricing will be very attractive for most people with newest 12 micron boson core and software.

Overall it’s cool little unit for the money  and I hope FLIR improved the battery life and performance by adding the new core. The only thing I didn’t like was the fact they went to a fixed focus lens on the new model I’m waiting to see if that was a good or bad thing vs old model. I think most folks will be thrilled with the breach as long as they buy it for what it is not  thinking it will replace a full sized, larger lens and more feature rich model.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I used my Q14 640 for a scanner and a sight quite effectively. ( was it perfect no, but it was light and versatile) although It was pretty useless for helmet mount. I’m surprised they keep pushing that as a selling point yet they use the excuse “comfort and ergonomics” as a reason for dumping the rest. Honestly $2500 for a 320 fixed focus scanner with poor battery life is just not worth it. I have a cheap seek 320 that can fill that roll for $500
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Any chance of running it with a battery pack
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I used my Q14 640 for a scanner and a sight quite effectively. ( was it perfect no, but it was light and versatile) although It was pretty useless for helmet mount. I’m surprised they keep pushing that as a selling point yet they use the excuse “comfort and ergonomics” as a reason for dumping the rest. Honestly $2500 for a 320 fixed focus scanner with poor battery life is just not worth it. I have a cheap seek 320 that can fill that roll for $500
View Quote
Well damn, that's literally the only reason I wanted one. Have you tried the IRpatrol helmet mounted? I'm curious as to how it compares to that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the Breach(Q14) just fills a limited role as a micro monocular when size and weight matters more than battery life and features. I don’t think the new breach will ever fill the role as a bigger more featured monocular such as the Helion, Patrol and etc for hunters.

The breach will be small and handy, but run through single 123A  batteries like kids at the candy store. Folks looking to make a full service hunting mono out of it will be disappointed. Guys looking for a micro mono for packing around and limited use will be thrilled with it.

I may buy a Breach but Given the choice I would buy the PT233 scope with a better lower profile/bulk single through lever mount. The scopes small enough,, dual batteries and much better outdoor useful range wise with 19mm lens plus can be used as weapons sight and monocular both.

Just my thoughts after owning the Q14 take them for what they are.
View Quote
That's the big question for me on this now. I have a PVS14 on my helmet and specifically got a bridge for a thermal monocle to use when static to scan and pick up anything the 14 wouldn't and then flip the thermal back up out of the way.

For this, is the Q14 still very viable or should I be looking at something else? I have zero interest in a thermal scope and I'd much prefer to keep it helmet mounted. I'd even go with a PAS23 but apparently you cannot get it oriented to where you can use it over your right eye with a dovetail mount.

I'd love to give FLIR the finger and buy something else, but I'm still interested in hearing if the Q14 is the best option for what I'm looking for and would absolutely want to punch something if I finally get one after all this BS, and it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well damn, that's literally the only reason I wanted one. Have you tried the IRpatrol helmet mounted? I'm curious as to how it compares to that.
View Quote
I’ve played with a IRpatrol at a gunshow but that’s the extent of my experience. The image was very nice on the IRpatrol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ve not seen the flir breach in action, but have used the patrol helmet mounted, it’s a little heavy because it sits further away from you, but I don’t think you’ll beat the image .  Ird produces best image on the screen .  But it cost twice as much too.  I’ve not had a chance to use the skeet ir , except for about 30 seconds . Was much more suited to extended use.  But it cost even more.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some pics of the redesigned FLIR Breach Thermal monocular

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/Breach1-431510.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/Breach2-431511.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/Breach3-431512.jpg

Very durable feel and build to this unit IMO. Great resolution for the price point.

Got the standard "shipping in March" to which I replied- "so tell customers June then?"

Given the previous snafu(s) on FLIR ship dates, I would say "sometime this year" to be safe :)
View Quote
Looks cool. This may have been asked, but I missed it. Is there a port for external power on the breech? Could one use an external battery as a counterweight while extending the battery life of the unit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Breach has the same USB-C connector as PTS, which most likely means it can be powered with an external battery.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#43]
yea but...26 hunnit...come on!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think they stated MSRP to be around $2495.

Keep in mind up to the not so distant past, this much $$  would barely get you a Scout II with internal battery, not nearly as clear, definitely not 12um.

That being said, I wish they would have stuck with their original stated price. This whole thing has been a cluster from the beginning- raising the retail price on top of that is a bad move IMO. But I don't work at FLIR and I don't set prices unfortunately.

However it is 60 hz.
View Quote
If we have a pre order in from back when these had more features at $1995, are we now paying $600 more because FLIR is a bunch of faggots? Or is the original price somehow still good on the pre order? Also, why do I have a feeling that the extra $600 is theei cost per unit on literally remaking a new unit with less features, that I now have the privilege to pay for?

Not blaming you at all because they make shit decisions and you end up having to deal with unhappy customers; this approach just shows what order of shitbird their leadership really is  - just curious how this all goes down. Hell, at this point I'd rather pay the $600 to punch someone at FLIR in the mouth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hell, at this point I'd rather pay the $600 to punch someone at FLIR in the mouth.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Legit question and I asked that very thing- WTF is the deal with the pre-orders I've had in since last spring at the lower price? The reply was they were working on figuring that part out. I'm guessing it's easier to pass that info along via email versus in person.

If you have a pre-order in with us on the Breach, you'll be getting an email soon- I'm waiting for confirmed pricing on the Breach. For the people that stuck with it patiently all this time, I'll do everything I can- someone has to try to straighten out this frickin mess!! Applicable only to pre-orders that have stuck with it.

We actually shut down pre-orders for this item a couple months back when the info stopped flowing for a bit there, so between that and the fact that a lot of folks switched over to the PRO PTS233s when they started shipping, plus cancellations, our pre-order list for the Breach isn't but maybe 1/4 of what it was for the PRO PTS233s when they came out.
View Quote
Thanks. I have a pre order with you, so appreciate everything youve done dealing with these idiots.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top